Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Desert'
adj : located in a dismal or remote area; desolate; "a desert
island"; "a godforsaken wilderness crossroads"; "a wild
stretch of land"; "waste places" [syn: godforsaken, waste,
n : an arid region with little or no vegetation
- leave someone who needs or counts on you; leave in the lurch; "The mother deserted her children" [syn: abandon, forsake, desolate]
- desert (a cause, a country or an army), often in order to join the opposing cause, country, or army; "If soldiers deserted Hitler's army, they were shot" [syn: defect]
- Desert \De*sert"\, n. [OF. deserte, desserte, merit, recompense,
fr. deservir, desservir, to merit. See Deserve.]
That which is deserved; the reward or the punishment justly
due; claim to recompense, usually in a good sense; right to
According to their deserts will I judge them. --Ezek.
Andronicus, surnamed Pius For many good and great
deserts to Rome. --Shak.
His reputation falls far below his desert. --A.
Syn: Merit; worth; excellence; due.
- Desert \Des"ert\, n. [F. d['e]sert, L. desertum, from desertus
solitary, desert, pp. of deserere to desert; de- + serere to
join together. See Series.]
- A deserted or forsaken region; a barren tract incapable of supporting population, as the vast sand plains of Asia and Africa are destitute and vegetation. A dreary desert and a gloomy waste. --Pope.
- A tract, which may be capable of sustaining a population, but has been left unoccupied and uncultivated; a wilderness; a solitary place. He will make her wilderness like Eden, and her desert like the garden of the Lord. --Is. li. 3. Note: Also figuratively. Before her extended Dreary and vast and silent, the desert of life. --Longfellow.
- Desert \De*sert"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Deserted; p. pr. & vb.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Desert'
A desert is a landscape or region that receives an extremely low amount of precipitation, less than enough to support growth of most plants. Deserts are defined as areas with an average annual precipitation of less than 250 millimetres (10 in) per year,
Deserts are part of a wide classification of regions that, on an average annual basis, have a moisture deficit (i.e. they can potentially lose more than is received). Deserts are located where vegetation cover is sparse to almost nonexistent. Hot deserts usually have a large diurnal and seasonal temperature range, with high daytime temperatures, and low nighttime temperatures (due to extremely low humidity). In hot deserts the temperature in the daytime can reach 45 °C/113 °F or higher in the summer, and dip to 0 °C/32 °F or lower at nighttime in the winter. Water vapor in the atmosphere acts to trap long wave infrared radiation from the ground, and dry desert air is incapable of blocking sunlight during the day (due to absence of clouds) or trapping heat during the night. Thus, during daylight most of the sun's heat reaches the ground, and as soon as the sun sets the desert cools quickly by radiating its heat into space. Urban areas in deserts lack large (more than 14 °C/25 °F) daily temperature variations, partially due to the urban heat island effect.[See more about Desert at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Desert'
'Desert' in famous quotation sentence
* Let me tell you something that we Israelis have against Moses. He took us 40 years through the desert in order to bring us to the one spot in the Middle East that has no oil - Golda Meir
* Jesus' ministry was clearly defined, and the alternatives to the illusion and temptations of the desert were spelled out. A choice was made--life abundant, full, and free for all. Make no mistake about it, the day that choice was made, Jesus became suspect. That day in the temple he sealed the fate already prepared for him. How was the world to understand one who rejected an offer of power and control - Joan B. Campbell
Click here for more related quotations on 'Desert'
Desert Sample Sentences in News
- Desert Sands Unified teachers seek to settle union negotiations
Loading Photo Galleries ... LA QUINTA — At least 300 protesters descended on a Desert Sands Unified school board meeting on Tuesday night, chanting for the school district to settle prolonged negotiations with the teachers union. Read more on this news related to 'Desert'
- Palm Desert faces Bishop Amat today
The Palm Desert High School baseball team will face a familiar foe in today's second round of the CIF playoffs. Read more on this news related to 'Desert'
- Guide To The Living Desert
The Living Desert is more than just a zoo. Housing exhibits, gardens, activities and animals from deserts all around the world, The Living Desert showcases species that have developed useful adaptations to endure extreme desert conditions. Read more on this news related to 'Desert'