Dense Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- slow to learn or understand; lacking intellectual acuity; "so dense he never understands anything I say to him"; "never met anyone quite so dim"; "although dull at classical learning, at mathematics he was uncommonly quick"- Thackeray; "dumb officials mak
- closely crowded together; "a compact shopping center"; "a dense population"; "thick crowds"
- having high relative density or specific gravity; "dense as lead"
- hard to pass through because of dense growth; "dense vegetation"; "thick woods"
- permitting little if any light to pass through because of denseness of matter; "dense smoke"; "heavy fog"; "impenetrable gloom"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Dense'?
Dense Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Density is a measurement that compares the amount of matter an object has to its volume. An object with a lot of matter in a certain amount of volume has high density. An object with a little matter in the same amount of volume has a low density.
Temperature has an effect on density. When the temperature of a substance increases, density decreases because the atoms are moving all around the place having less matter in one space. When the temperature of a substance decreases, the density increases because the atoms move slower making the atoms stay in one place. Many substances follow this rule, but there are exceptions. Water is one such exception. When water freezes, it makes ice that is less dense than liquid water.
Fresh water is often used as a standard of relative density. This is called specific gravity.
Words and phrases related to 'Dense'
'Dense' example sentence in quotations
Click here for more related quotations on 'Dense'