Dense Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- slow to learn or understand; lacking intellectual acuity; "so dense he never understands anything I say to him"; "never met anyone quite so dim"; "although dull at classical learning, at mathematics he was uncommonly quick"- Thackeray; "dumb officials mak
- closely crowded together; "a compact shopping center"; "a dense population"; "thick crowds"
- having high relative density or specific gravity; "dense as lead"
- hard to pass through because of dense growth; "dense vegetation"; "thick woods"
- permitting little if any light to pass through because of denseness of matter; "dense smoke"; "heavy fog"; "impenetrable gloom"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Dense'?
Dense Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Density is a measurement that compares the amount, ratio, of matter an object has to its volume. An object with a lot of matter in a certain amount of volume has high density. An object with a little matter in the same amount of volume has a low density.
Temperature has an effect on density. When the temperature of a substance increases,the density decreases because the atoms are moving all around the place having less matter in one space. When the temperature of a substance decreases, the density increases because the atoms move slower making the atoms stay in one place. Many substances follow this rule, but there are exceptions. Water is one such exception. When most substances freeze, the substance is more dense. When water freezes, the water molecules are actually farther apart instead of being closer together. This is because the molecules form crystals. The way the water molecules are arranged in an ice crystal makes it less dense than liquid water. Fresh water is the only liquid with a density of 1.
Words and phrases related to 'Dense'
'Dense' example sentence in quotations
Click here for more related quotations on 'Dense'
Dense Sample Sentences in News
- California Breast Density Law Slow to Have an Impact
Ten months after California legislators enacted a controversial law mandating that radiologists notify women if they have dense breast tissue, UC Davis researchers have found that half of primary care physicians are still unfamiliar with the law and many don't feel comfortable answering breast density-related questions from patients. The findings, to be publis Read more on this news related to 'Dense'
- Dense fog and patchy ice making for a hazardous Tuesday commute in the Treasure Valley
The dense fog advisory is expected to lift by 11 a.m., but residents could be in store for more fog Wednesday, according to the National Weather Service. Click to Continue » Read more on this news related to 'Dense'
- More Dense Fog, Possibly Rain to Come
WEATHER DISCUSSION Dense fog has developed overnight west of the Cascades and an advisory has been issued through 10am for poor visibilities. The fog will gradually lift into the afternoon hours, lasting longer in Grants Pass than in Medford. Aside from the fog, today will feature partly to mostly cloudy skies. A passing light … Continue reading » Read more on this news related to 'Dense'