Dense Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- slow to learn or understand; lacking intellectual acuity; "so dense he never understands anything I say to him"; "never met anyone quite so dim"; "although dull at classical learning, at mathematics he was uncommonly quick"- Thackeray; "dumb officials mak
- closely crowded together; "a compact shopping center"; "a dense population"; "thick crowds"
- having high relative density or specific gravity; "dense as lead"
- hard to pass through because of dense growth; "dense vegetation"; "thick woods"
- permitting little if any light to pass through because of denseness of matter; "dense smoke"; "heavy fog"; "impenetrable gloom"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Dense'?
Dense Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Density is a measurement that compares the amount, ratio, of matter an object has to its volume. An object with a lot of matter in a certain amount of volume has high density. An object with a little matter in the same amount of volume has a low density.
Temperature has an effect on density. When the temperature of a substance increases,the density decreases because the atoms are moving all around the place having less matter in one space. When the temperature of a substance decreases, the density increases because the atoms move slower making the atoms stay in one place. Many substances follow this rule, but there are exceptions. Water is one such exception. When most substances freeze, the substance is more dense. When water freezes, the water molecules are actually farther apart instead of being closer together. This is because the molecules form crystals. The way the water molecules are arranged in an ice crystal makes it less dense than liquid water. Fresh water is the only liquid with a density of 1.
Words and phrases related to 'Dense'
'Dense' example sentence in quotations
Click here for more related quotations on 'Dense'
Dense Sample Sentences in News
- Next steps uncertain for women with dense breasts
WASHINGTON (AP) — More women are learning their breasts are so dense that it's more difficult for mammograms to spot cancer. But new research suggests automatically giving them an extra test isn't necessarily the solution. Read more on this news related to 'Dense'
- Mammograms may be problematic for women with dense breasts
More women are learning their breasts are so dense that it's more difficult for mammograms to spot cancer. But new research suggests automatically giving them an extra test isn't necessarily the solution. Read more on this news related to 'Dense'
- Are Routine Ultrasounds for Women With Dense Breasts Worthwhile?
Title: Are Routine Ultrasounds for Women With Dense Breasts Worthwhile? Category: Health News Created: 12/8/2014 12:00:00 AM Last Editorial Review: 12/9/2014 12:00:00 AM Read more on this news related to 'Dense'