Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Defloration'
- an act that despoils the innocence or beauty of something
- the act of depriving a woman of her virginity (especially by rupturing the hymen through sexual intercourse)
- Defloration \Def`lo*ra"tion\, n. [LL. defloratio: cf. F.
- The act of deflouring; as, the defloration of a virgin. --Johnson.
- That which is chosen as the flower or choicest part; careful culling or selection. [R.] The laws of Normandy are, in a great measure, the defloration of the English laws. --Sir M. Hale.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Defloration'
A virgin (or maiden) originally meant a woman who has never had sexual intercourse. Virginity is the state of being a virgin. It is derived from the Latin virgo, which means "sexually inexperienced woman". As in Latin, the English word is also often used with wider reference, by relaxing the age, gender or sexual criteria. Hence, more mature women can be virgins (The Virgin Queen), men can be virgins, and potential initiates into many fields can be colloquially termed virgins; for example, a skydiving "virgin". In the latter usage, virgin simply means uninitiated.
By extension from its primary sense, the idea that a virgin has a sexual "blank slate",
The loss of virginity may call to mind the end of innocence, and the beginning of sexual maturity. In this association "virgin" often references the first instance of a potentially extended series of like events. Just as extra-virgin olive oil is from the first pressing, so a maiden or virgin speech is an incumbent's first address. The same metaphor, using the synonym maiden, is applied to the first or maiden voyage of a ship. In cricket, a maiden over is an over from which no runs were scored. Maiden castles are those with the reputation of never having been captured.[See more about Defloration at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Defloration'
Defloration Sample Sentences in News
- No current Defloration news