Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Deceitful'
- intended to deceive; "deceitful advertising"; "fallacious testimony"; "smooth, shining, and deceitful as thin ice" - S.T.Coleridge; "a fraudulent scheme to escape paying taxes" [syn: fallacious, fraudulent]
- marked by deliberate deceptiveness especially by pretending one set of feelings and acting under the influence of another; "she was a deceitful scheming little thing"- Israel Zangwill; "a double-dealing double agent"; "a double-faced infernal traitor and schemer"- W.M.Thackeray [syn: ambidextrous, double-dealing, duplicitous, Janus-faced, two-faced, double-faced, double-tongued]
- Deceitful \De*ceit"ful\, a.
Full of, or characterized by, deceit; serving to mislead or
insnare; trickish; fraudulent; cheating; insincere.
Harboring foul deceitful thoughts. --Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Deceitful'
Deception, beguilement, deceit, bluff, mystification, and subterfuge are acts to propagate beliefs that are not true, or not the whole truth (as in half-truths or omission). Deception can involve dissimulation, propaganda, sleight of hand. It can employ distraction, camouflage or concealment. There is also self-deception.
Deception is a major relational transgression that often leads to feelings of betrayal and distrust between relational partners. Deception violates relational rules and is considered to be a negative violation of expectations. Most people expect friends, relational partners, and even strangers to be truthful most of the time. If people expected most conversations to be untruthful, talking and communicating with others would require distraction and misdirection to acquire reliable information. On a given day, it is likely that most human beings will either deceive or be deceived by another person. A significant amount of deception occurs between romantic and relational partners.[See more about Deceitful at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Deceitful'
'Deceitful' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Deceitful'
Deceitful Sample Sentences in News
- Simons calls land reserve changes deceitful
Powell River - Sunshine Coast MLA Nicholas Simons, the New Democratic Party’s agriculture critic, was forced to withdraw a comment after he called the government’s proposed changes to the agricultural land reserve “deceitful.” Read more on this news related to 'Deceitful'
- Annual survey of used car market finds deceitful dealers, rebuilt wrecks
In its annual investigation W5 teams up with the Automobile Protection Association (APA) to examine the Canadian car industry and finds deceitful dealers, dubious practices and rebuilt wrecks. Read more on this news related to 'Deceitful'
- MLA calls land reserve changes deceitful
Powell River-Sunshine Coast MLA Nicholas Simons, the New Democratic Party’s agriculture critic, was forced to withdraw a comment after he called the government’s proposed changes to the agricultural land reserve “deceitful.” Read more on this news related to 'Deceitful'