Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Deceitful'
- intended to deceive; "deceitful advertising"; "fallacious testimony"; "smooth, shining, and deceitful as thin ice" - S.T.Coleridge; "a fraudulent scheme to escape paying taxes" [syn: fallacious, fraudulent]
- marked by deliberate deceptiveness especially by pretending one set of feelings and acting under the influence of another; "she was a deceitful scheming little thing"- Israel Zangwill; "a double-dealing double agent"; "a double-faced infernal traitor and schemer"- W.M.Thackeray [syn: ambidextrous, double-dealing, duplicitous, Janus-faced, two-faced, double-faced, double-tongued]
- Deceitful \De*ceit"ful\, a.
Full of, or characterized by, deceit; serving to mislead or
insnare; trickish; fraudulent; cheating; insincere.
Harboring foul deceitful thoughts. --Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Deceitful'
Deception, beguilement, deceit, bluff, mystification, and subterfuge are acts to propagate beliefs that are not true, or not the whole truth (as in half-truths or omission). Deception can involve dissimulation, propaganda, sleight of hand. It can employ distraction, camouflage or concealment. There is also self-deception.
Deception is a major relational transgression that often leads to feelings of betrayal and distrust between relational partners. Deception violates relational rules and is considered to be a negative violation of expectations. Most people expect friends, relational partners, and even strangers to be truthful most of the time. If people expected most conversations to be untruthful, talking and communicating with others would require distraction and misdirection to acquire reliable information. On a given day, it is likely that most human beings will either deceive or be deceived by another person. A significant amount of deception occurs between romantic and relational partners.[See more about Deceitful at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Deceitful'
'Deceitful' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Deceitful'
Deceitful Sample Sentences in News
- State calls defense allegations 'outrageous' and 'deceitful'
"Outrageous" and "deceitful" are among the words prosecutors used in response to a motion filed by attorneys for Sulphur businessman Joe Palermo. Read more on this news related to 'Deceitful'
- Microsoft vows to clean up its crapware-infested Windows app store
A recent report has revealed that the Windows app store filled with crappy apps and deceitful wannabe software that can trick the user into paying for an application that looks like the real thing. It also said Microsoft may be well aware of the situation, as the company both encouraged app developers to deliver Windows Store apps in bulk, and manually approve Read more on this news related to 'Deceitful'
- Prosecutor says 'deceitful' Pistorius can't dodge murder charge
A South African prosecutor branded Oscar Pistorius "deceitful" and insisted the Paralympian cannot avoid a conviction for murdering his glamorous model girlfriend, as the state closed its case against him Thursday. "Pitbull" prosecutor Gerrie Nel said that even if the court accepts Pistorius's claim he killed Reeva Steenkamp on Valentine Read more on this news related to 'Deceitful'