Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Deceitful'
- intended to deceive; "deceitful advertising"; "fallacious testimony"; "smooth, shining, and deceitful as thin ice" - S.T.Coleridge; "a fraudulent scheme to escape paying taxes" [syn: fallacious, fraudulent]
- marked by deliberate deceptiveness especially by pretending one set of feelings and acting under the influence of another; "she was a deceitful scheming little thing"- Israel Zangwill; "a double-dealing double agent"; "a double-faced infernal traitor and schemer"- W.M.Thackeray [syn: ambidextrous, double-dealing, duplicitous, Janus-faced, two-faced, double-faced, double-tongued]
- Deceitful \De*ceit"ful\, a.
Full of, or characterized by, deceit; serving to mislead or
insnare; trickish; fraudulent; cheating; insincere.
Harboring foul deceitful thoughts. --Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Deceitful'
Deception, beguilement, deceit, bluff, mystification, and subterfuge are acts to propagate beliefs that are not true, or not the whole truth (as in half-truths or omission). Deception can involve dissimulation, propaganda, sleight of hand. It can employ distraction, camouflage or concealment. There is also self-deception.
Deception is a major relational transgression that often leads to feelings of betrayal and distrust between relational partners. Deception violates relational rules and is considered to be a negative violation of expectations. Most people expect friends, relational partners, and even strangers to be truthful most of the time. If people expected most conversations to be untruthful, talking and communicating with others would require distraction and misdirection to acquire reliable information. On a given day, it is likely that most human beings will either deceive or be deceived by another person. A significant amount of deception occurs between romantic and relational partners.[See more about Deceitful at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Deceitful'
'Deceitful' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Deceitful'
Deceitful Sample Sentences in News
- Health fraud lawsuit echoes 'Wolf of Wall Street'
A former business partner of the man who inspired the movie "The Wolf of Wall Street," about a high-profile stock fraud scheme in the '90s, has been sued for alleged Medicare fraud. The complaint, filed on February 10, claims that Danny Porush and five other leaders of privately held Med-Care Diabetic & Medical Supplies Inc and an affiliated company Read more on this news related to 'Deceitful'
- New releases: 'The Armstrong Lie' examines a deceitful sports figure
Also, 'The Best Man Holiday,' 'The Counselor,' and 'Wadjda,' The Armstrong Lie Read more on this news related to 'Deceitful'
- Making others do his bidding, LePage casts deceitful attack on Medicaid expansion
Posted Feb. 28, 2014, at 11:12 a.m. If there were any uncertainty Gov. Paul LePage’s top priority this winter is to deny health coverage to 70,000 low-income adults, his administration’s misleading, all-out assault this week against expanding Medicaid should leave no doubt in anybody’s mind. Read more on this news related to 'Deceitful'