Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Decade'
- a period of 10 years [syn: decennary, decennium]
- the cardinal number that is the sum of nine and one; the base of the decimal system [syn: ten, 10, X, tenner]
- Decade \Dec"ade\, n. [F. d['e]cade, L. decas, -adis, fr. Gr. ?,
fr. de`ka ten. See Ten.]
A group or division of ten; esp., a period of ten years; a
decennium; as, a decade of years or days; a decade of
soldiers; the second decade of Livy. [Written also decad.]
During this notable decade of years. --Gladstone.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Decade'
A decade is a period of ten years. The word is derived (via French) from the Ancient Greek dekas which means ten.
This etymology is sometime confused with the Latin decas (ten) and dies (days), which is not correct. The other words for spans of years come from Latin: lustrum (5 years), century (100 years), millennium (1000 years).
Although any period of ten years is a decade, Often, for brevity, only the tens part is mentioned (60s or sixties), although this may leave it uncertain which century is meant. These references are frequently used to encapsulate popular culture or other widespread phenomena that dominated such a decade, as in The Great Depression of the 1930s.
Some writers like to point out that since the common calendar starts from the year 1, its first full decade contained the years from 1 to 10, the second decade from 11 to 20, and so on. So while the "1960s" comprises the years 1960 to 1969, the "197th decade" spans 1961 to 1970.[See more about Decade at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Decade'
'Decade' in famous quotation sentence
* It is fun to be in the same decade with you. - Franklin D. Roosevelt
* Thirty-the promise of a decade of loneliness, a thinning list of single men to know, a thinning brief-case of enthusiasm, thinning hair. - F Scott
Click here for more related quotations on 'Decade'
Decade Sample Sentences in News
- Aluminum Set for Longest Gain in a Decade as Demand Rises
Aluminum was poised for a sixth monthly advance, the longest rally in a decade, on speculation of growing demand from improving economies in China and the U.S., the two biggest consumers of industrial metals. Read more on this news related to 'Decade'
- Carl’s Jr. and Hardee’s Say “I Love Paris (Hilton)” Again
Nearly a decade after she rocked the world with just a bikini, a burger, a Bentley and some suds, Paris Hilton is back with another commercial for Carl’s Jr.® and Hardee’s® promoting the new Texas BBQ Thickburger®. Read more on this news related to 'Decade'
- Apple vs. Google: By The Numbers
A decade ago, Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL ) was a struggling computer maker on the cusp of reinventing itself, Read more on this news related to 'Decade'