Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Decade'
- a period of 10 years [syn: decennary, decennium]
- the cardinal number that is the sum of nine and one; the base of the decimal system [syn: ten, 10, X, tenner]
- Decade \Dec"ade\, n. [F. d['e]cade, L. decas, -adis, fr. Gr. ?,
fr. de`ka ten. See Ten.]
A group or division of ten; esp., a period of ten years; a
decennium; as, a decade of years or days; a decade of
soldiers; the second decade of Livy. [Written also decad.]
During this notable decade of years. --Gladstone.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Decade'
A decade is a period of ten years. The word is derived (via French) from the Ancient Greek dekas which means ten.
This etymology is sometime confused with the Latin decas (ten) and dies (days), which is not correct. The other words for spans of years come from Latin: lustrum (5 years), century (100 years), millennium (1000 years).
Although any period of ten years is a decade, Often, for brevity, only the tens part is mentioned (60s or sixties), although this may leave it uncertain which century is meant. These references are frequently used to encapsulate popular culture or other widespread phenomena that dominated such a decade, as in The Great Depression of the 1930s.
Some writers like to point out that since the common calendar starts from the year 1, its first full decade contained the years from 1 to 10, the second decade from 11 to 20, and so on. So while the "1960s" comprises the years 1960 to 1969, the "197th decade" spans 1961 to 1970.[See more about Decade at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Decade'
'Decade' in famous quotation sentence
* It is fun to be in the same decade with you. - Franklin D. Roosevelt
* Thirty-the promise of a decade of loneliness, a thinning list of single men to know, a thinning brief-case of enthusiasm, thinning hair. - F Scott
Click here for more related quotations on 'Decade'
Decade Sample Sentences in News
- Obama budget would cut deficit by $1.1 trillion over decade: CBO
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Near-term U.S. deficits under President Barack Obama's 2014 budget plan would be higher than those forecast by the Congressional Budget Office this week but would be $1.1 trillion lower over the coming decade, CBO said on Friday. The non-partisan congressional budget referee agency said that due to proposed spending increases, Obama' Read more on this news related to 'Decade'
- Two-Decade-Old Harvard Data Confounds U.S. EPA Nomination
Buried in the questions Senate Republicans want answered by the nominee to head the Environmental Protection Agency is a stumper: data linking microscopic particles in the air to premature death. Read more on this news related to 'Decade'
- Man returns to restaurant—over a decade later—to pay off old debt
At Albuquerque's Le Cafe Miche, a teenage boy and his girlfriend enjoyed a fancy Valentine's Day dinner. But when the check came, the teenage Don Juan realized he was $40 short. This was in the late '90s. The boy spoke to the restaurant's owner and chef, Claus Hjortkjaer. The kind Chef Claus took pity on [...] Read more on this news related to 'Decade'