Deadly Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- (of a disease) having a rapid course and violent effect
- causing or capable of causing death; "a fatal accident"; "a deadly enemy"; "mortal combat"; "a mortal illness"
- of an instrument of certain death; "deadly poisons"; "lethal weapon"; "a lethal injection"
- exceedingly harmful
- involving loss of divine grace or spiritual death; "the seven deadly sins"
- extremely poisonous or injurious; producing venom; "venomous snakes"; "a virulent insect bite"
- (used as intensives) extremely; "she was madly in love"; "deadly dull"; "deadly earnest"; "deucedly clever"; "insanely jealous"
- as if produced by death; "deadly pale"; "a deadly paralytic stroke"
- as if dead
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Deadly'?
Deadly Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Death is the end of life in an organism. All biological functions of the living thing stop, including the mind and the senses. The usual signal for death is that the heart stops beating and cannot be restarted. This can be caused by many things. All living things have a limited lifespan, and all living things eventually die.
Living things which have died are normally described as being dead. Death of humans is often investigated for the cause, in case of crime (such as murder) or disease that may continue to kill other humans. About 150,000 people die every day around the world. In addition to the physical body, some believe humans also have a soul and believe that the soul can continue without a body (afterlife), move into another body (reincarnation), or cease to exist (annihilationism). Religions have different beliefs about this issue. Many cultures have their own customs and rituals to respect the dead.
Words and phrases related to 'Deadly'
'Deadly' example sentence in quotations
* For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,And breathed in the face of the foe as he pass'dAnd the eyes of the sleepers wax'd deadly and chill,And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still - George Gordon Byron
* The whole history of civilization is strewn with creeds and institutions which were invaluable at first, and deadly afterwards. - Walter Bagehot
Click here for more related quotations on 'Deadly'
Deadly Sample Sentences in News
- Deadly Japanese encephalitis surges in northeast India
Cases of deadly mosquito-borne Japanese encephalitis have risen nearly five-fold in five years in India's northeast Assam state as a result of warming weather and changing rainfall, health experts say. Read more on this news related to 'Deadly'
- UN: deadly attack on Ukraine city could be war crime
UNITED NATIONS (AP) — Deadly rocket attacks on the Ukrainian port city of Mariupol this weekend that "knowingly targeted civilians" violated international humanitarian law and could amount to war crimes, the U.N. political chief said Monday. Read more on this news related to 'Deadly'
- How to ensure impartial investigations of officers' deadly force?
How confident can we be that police departments do a fair and adequate job of investigating deadly encounters between their officers and the public? How confident can we be that district attorneys and grand juries act impartially when deciding whether to charge officers with crimes? Read more on this news related to 'Deadly'