Deadly Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- (of a disease) having a rapid course and violent effect
- causing or capable of causing death; "a fatal accident"; "a deadly enemy"; "mortal combat"; "a mortal illness"
- of an instrument of certain death; "deadly poisons"; "lethal weapon"; "a lethal injection"
- exceedingly harmful
- involving loss of divine grace or spiritual death; "the seven deadly sins"
- extremely poisonous or injurious; producing venom; "venomous snakes"; "a virulent insect bite"
- (used as intensives) extremely; "she was madly in love"; "deadly dull"; "deadly earnest"; "deucedly clever"; "insanely jealous"
- as if produced by death; "deadly pale"; "a deadly paralytic stroke"
- as if dead
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Deadly'?
Deadly Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Death is the end of life in an organism. All biological functions of the living thing stop, including the mind and the senses. The usual signal for death is that the heart stops beating and cannot be restarted. This can be caused by many things. All living things have a limited lifespan, and all living things eventually die.
Living things which have died are normally described as being dead. Death of humans is often investigated for the cause, in case of crime (such as murder) or disease that may continue to kill other humans. About 150,000 people die every day around the world. In addition to the physical body, some believe humans also have a soul and believe that the soul can continue without a body (afterlife), move into another body (reincarnation), or cease to exist (annihilationism). Religions have different beliefs about this issue. Many cultures have their own customs and rituals to respect the dead.
Words and phrases related to 'Deadly'
'Deadly' example sentence in quotations
* For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,And breathed in the face of the foe as he pass'dAnd the eyes of the sleepers wax'd deadly and chill,And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still - George Gordon Byron
* The whole history of civilization is strewn with creeds and institutions which were invaluable at first, and deadly afterwards. - Walter Bagehot
Click here for more related quotations on 'Deadly'
Deadly Sample Sentences in News
- Deadly Air Bag Crisis Deepens in Blow to Confidence
A deepening crisis involving deadly air bags is shaking confidence in the ability of automakers including Toyota Motor Corp. (7203) and Honda Motor Co. to ensure the safety of millions of U.S. drivers. Read more on this news related to 'Deadly'
- Deadly Force, in Black and White
by Ryan Gabrielson , Ryann Grochowski Jones and Eric Sagara Young black males in recent years were at a far greater risk of being shot dead by police than their white counterparts – 21 times greater i , according to a ProPublica analysis of federally collected data on fatal police shootings. The 1,217 deadly police shootings from 2010 to 2012 captured in the fed Read more on this news related to 'Deadly'
- Bishop in Baghdad during deadly bombings
DEADLY bombs that killed up to 30 civilians in Baghdad went off while Foreign Minister Julie Bishop was there to reach a deal with Iraqi officials. Read more on this news related to 'Deadly'