Deadly Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- (of a disease) having a rapid course and violent effect
- causing or capable of causing death; "a fatal accident"; "a deadly enemy"; "mortal combat"; "a mortal illness"
- of an instrument of certain death; "deadly poisons"; "lethal weapon"; "a lethal injection"
- exceedingly harmful
- involving loss of divine grace or spiritual death; "the seven deadly sins"
- extremely poisonous or injurious; producing venom; "venomous snakes"; "a virulent insect bite"
- (used as intensives) extremely; "she was madly in love"; "deadly dull"; "deadly earnest"; "deucedly clever"; "insanely jealous"
- as if produced by death; "deadly pale"; "a deadly paralytic stroke"
- as if dead
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Deadly'?
Deadly Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Death is the end of life in an organism. All biological functions of the living thing stop, including the mind and the senses. The usual signal for death is that the heart stops beating and cannot be restarted. This can be caused by many things. All living things have a limited lifespan, and all living things eventually die.
Living things which have died are normally described as being dead. Death of humans is often investigated for the cause, in case of crime (such as murder) or disease that may continue to kill other humans. About 150,000 people die every day around the world. In addition to the physical body, some believe humans also have a soul and believe that the soul can continue without a body (afterlife), move into another body (reincarnation), or cease to exist (annihilationism). Religions have different beliefs about this issue. Many cultures have their own customs and rituals to respect the dead.
Words and phrases related to 'Deadly'
'Deadly' example sentence in quotations
* For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,And breathed in the face of the foe as he pass'dAnd the eyes of the sleepers wax'd deadly and chill,And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still - George Gordon Byron
* The whole history of civilization is strewn with creeds and institutions which were invaluable at first, and deadly afterwards. - Walter Bagehot
Click here for more related quotations on 'Deadly'
Deadly Sample Sentences in News
- As Spring Break Proves Deadly Each Year, TxDOT Pushes Alcohol Awareness Campaign
Spring Break is a dangerous and deadly time on Texas roadways with more than 30 fatalities resulting from impaired driving in each of the past two years. In an effort to curb this Read more on this news related to 'Deadly'
- Netanyahu: Iran Engaged in Deadly 'Game of Thrones'
“In this deadly 'Game of Thrones,' there is no place for America or for Israel. ...So when it comes to Iran or ISIS the enemy of your enemy is your enemy," he said. He then turned to Iran, warning that "Iran's regime poses a great threat not only to Israel but also to the peace of the entire world," he said. "Iran's regime is Read more on this news related to 'Deadly'
- 3 sought over deadly 1982 attack in Paris' Jewish quarter
PARIS (AP) — More than 32 years after a deadly terror attack in Paris' old Jewish quarter, French authorities have at last identified three suspects and are seeking their arrest. Read more on this news related to 'Deadly'