Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dangling'
Dangling Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : the act of suspending something (hanging it from above so it
moves freely); "there was a small ceremony for the
hanging of the portrait" [syn: suspension, hanging]
- Dangle \Dan"gle\ (d[a^][ng]"g'l), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Dangled;
p. pr. & vb. n. Dangling.] [Akin to Dan. dangle, dial. Sw.
dangla, Dan. dingle, Sw. dingla, Icel. dingla; perh. from E.
To hang loosely, or with a swinging or jerking motion.
He'd rather on a gibbet dangle Than miss his dear
delight, to wrangle. --Hudibras.
From her lifted hand Dangled a length of ribbon.
To dangle about or after, to hang upon importunately; to
court the favor of; to beset.
The Presbyterians, and other fanatics that dangle
after them, are well inclined to pull down the
present establishment. --Swift.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dangling'
- Dangling pointer: Dangling pointers and wild pointers in computer programming are pointers that do ... (now) dangling pointer, unpredictable behavior may ...
- Dangling modifier: A dangling modifier, a specific case of which is the dangling participle is an error in sentence structure whereby a grammatical modifier ...
- Dangling bond: In chemistry , a dangling bond is an unsatisfied valence on an immobilised atom . In order to gain enough electrons to fill their valence ...
- Dangling Man: Dangling Man is a 1944 novel by Saul Bellow . It is his first published work. Plot summary : Written in diary format, the story centers on the ...
- The Dangling Conversation: "The Dangling Conversation" is a song written by Paul Simon , first released in September 1966 as a Simon and Garfunkel single "The ...
- Dangling else: The dangling else is a well-known problem in computer programming in which a seemingly well-defined grammar can become ambiguous . ...
- (You've Got Me) Dangling on a String: (You've Got Me) Dangling on a String" is a pop song performed by Donny Osmond . The song was a single released from the January 1977 album ...
Words and phrases related to 'Dangling'
Dangling Sample Sentences in News
- Crash Sends Truck Dangling Over Oregon Bridge Rail
State police: crash sends lumber truck dangling over Oregon bridge railing, driver cited Read more on this news related to 'Dangling'
- YIKES! Crash leaves flatbed semi dangling over bridge
REEDSPORT, Ore. — A truck pulling a flatbed semi loaded with lumber crashed through a guardrail and went over a bridge railing, leaving the truck and trailer partially hanging off the bridge over the Umpqua River near Reedsport, Ore., KPTV in Portland reported Thursday. State police said the crash happened on Highway 38 at the […] Read more on this news related to 'Dangling'
- State police: crash sends lumber truck dangling over Oregon bridge railing, driver cited
SALEM, Ore. — Authorities say a driver has been cited after a truck hauling lumber products crashed at an Umpqua River bridge in southern Oregon, leaving the truck trailer hanging over the bridge railing above the waterway. Read more on this news related to 'Dangling'