Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dangling'
Dangling Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : the act of suspending something (hanging it from above so it
moves freely); "there was a small ceremony for the
hanging of the portrait" [syn: suspension, hanging]
- Dangle \Dan"gle\ (d[a^][ng]"g'l), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Dangled;
p. pr. & vb. n. Dangling.] [Akin to Dan. dangle, dial. Sw.
dangla, Dan. dingle, Sw. dingla, Icel. dingla; perh. from E.
To hang loosely, or with a swinging or jerking motion.
He'd rather on a gibbet dangle Than miss his dear
delight, to wrangle. --Hudibras.
From her lifted hand Dangled a length of ribbon.
To dangle about or after, to hang upon importunately; to
court the favor of; to beset.
The Presbyterians, and other fanatics that dangle
after them, are well inclined to pull down the
present establishment. --Swift.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dangling'
- Dangling pointer: Dangling pointers and wild pointers in computer programming are pointers that do ... (now) dangling pointer, unpredictable behavior may ...
- Dangling modifier: A dangling modifier, a specific case of which is the dangling participle is an error in sentence structure whereby a grammatical modifier ...
- Dangling bond: In chemistry , a dangling bond is an unsatisfied valence on an immobilised atom . In order to gain enough electrons to fill their valence ...
- Dangling Man: Dangling Man is a 1944 novel by Saul Bellow . It is his first published work. Plot summary : Written in diary format, the story centers on the ...
- The Dangling Conversation: "The Dangling Conversation" is a song written by Paul Simon , first released in September 1966 as a Simon and Garfunkel single "The ...
- Dangling else: The dangling else is a well-known problem in computer programming in which a seemingly well-defined grammar can become ambiguous . ...
- (You've Got Me) Dangling on a String: (You've Got Me) Dangling on a String" is a pop song performed by Donny Osmond . The song was a single released from the January 1977 album ...
Words and phrases related to 'Dangling'
Dangling Sample Sentences in News
- Big rig dangling from overpass in Waller County
Portions of U.S. 290 are shut down Friday morning after an 18 wheeler crash left the truck's trailer dangling from an overpass. The wreck happened about 6:45 a.m. on Liendo Parkway at the freeway, according to the Waller County Sheriff's Office. Deputies said the big rig trailer is hanging from the overpass. No injuries were reported. The crash forced offi Read more on this news related to 'Dangling'
- Dr. Gridlock: Dangling cable creates morning delays for Metro Red Line commuters
A dangling cable is causing delays of up to 30 minutes on Metro's Red Line. Read more on this news related to 'Dangling'
- Dangling drumstick catches stray dog missing for two years
DALLAS — Sometimes it takes patience and persistence to make a connection. "I couldn't ignore the situation — especially because it was right in front of me," said Farnaz Memarzadeh. She first noticed a stray dog a year-and-a-half ago wandering around the woods at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. Memarzadeh named her "Nadine," Read more on this news related to 'Dangling'