Dampen Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- make moist; "The dew moistened the meadows"
- lessen in force or effect; "soften a shock"; "break a fall"
- check; keep in check (a fire)
- make vague or obscure or make (an image) less visible; "muffle the message"
- smother or suppress; "Stifle your curiosity"
- reduce the amplitude (of oscillations or waves)
- deaden (a sound or noise), especially by wrapping
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Dampen'?
Words and phrases related to 'Dampen'
Dampen Sample Sentences in News
- U.S. stocks open lower as economic data dampen mood
U.S. stocks open lower as economic data dampen mood Read more on this news related to 'Dampen'
- Lower gasoline prices dampen U.S. consumer inflation
By Lucia Mutikani WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. consumer prices fell over the past year for the first time since 2009 as gasoline prices continued to tumble, which could allow a cautious Federal Reserve more room to hold off on raising interest rates. Other data on Thursday showed a rebound in business investment spending plans and a steadily firming labor market, s Read more on this news related to 'Dampen'
- E-Cigarettes Seem to Dampen Immune Response in Mice
Title: E-Cigarettes Seem to Dampen Immune Response in Mice Category: Health News Created: 2/4/2015 12:00:00 AM Last Editorial Review: 2/5/2015 12:00:00 AM Read more on this news related to 'Dampen'