Dampen Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- make moist; "The dew moistened the meadows"
- lessen in force or effect; "soften a shock"; "break a fall"
- check; keep in check (a fire)
- make vague or obscure or make (an image) less visible; "muffle the message"
- smother or suppress; "Stifle your curiosity"
- reduce the amplitude (of oscillations or waves)
- deaden (a sound or noise), especially by wrapping
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Dampen'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dampen'
- Mallet dampening: Mallet dampening is a vibraphone technique that facilitates legato phrasing on the instrument. It is accomplished by striking a note on ...
Words and phrases related to 'Dampen'
Dampen Sample Sentences in News
- Stormy weather fails to dampen HK protesters’ zeal
Stormy weather which lashed Hong Kong on Wednesday night (Oct 22) presented a new challenge to protesters camped out under open skies, but the downpour did not dampen their spirit. Read more on this news related to 'Dampen'
- Ukraine parliament elections fail to inspire enthusiasm as war, troubled economy dampen mood
Gazing across the Maidan square, Evelina Martirosyan recalls how euphoric she was as she joined protests that changed Ukraine's history. Read more on this news related to 'Dampen'
- Clouds don’t dampen solar eclipse
Despite the partly overcast skies, there was a crowd in the parking lot of the Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center to view Thursday’s partial solar eclipse. Read more on this news related to 'Dampen'