Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dampen'
- smother or suppress; "Stifle your curiosity" [syn: stifle] [ant: stimulate]
- make moist; "The dew moistened the meadows" [syn: moisten, wash]
- deaden (a sound or noise), especially by wrapping [syn: muffle, mute, dull, damp, tone down]
- reduce the amplitude (of oscillations or waves)
- make vague or obscure or make (an image) less visible; "muffle the message" [syn: deaden, damp]
- check; keep in check (a fire)
- lessen in force or effect; "soften a shock"; "break a fall" [syn: damp, soften, weaken, break]
- Dampen \Damp"en\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Dampened; p. pr. & vb.
- To make damp or moist; to make slightly wet.
- To depress; to check; to make dull; to lessen. In a way that considerably dampened our enthusiasm. --The Century.
- Dampen \Damp"en\, v. i.
To become damp; to deaden. --Byron.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dampen'
In physics, damping is any effect that tends to reduce the amplitude of oscillations in an oscillatory system, particularly the harmonic oscillator.
In mechanics, friction is one such damping effect. For many purposes the frictional force Ff can be modeled as being proportional to the velocity v of the object:
where c is the viscous damping coefficient, given in units of Newton-seconds per meter.
Generally, damped harmonic oscillators satisfy the second-order differential equation:[See more about Dampen at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Dampen'
Dampen Sample Sentences in News
- Rain fails to dampen Sydney's shimmering Mardi Gras
Rain failed to dampen the spirits of tens of thousands of spectators and marchers who turned out for Sydney's annual gay rights Mardi Gras parade, organisers said on Sunday. Vladimir Putin and his anti-gay laws were the focus of several floats in this year's march, which saw 10,000 participants and 144 entries wind their way through central Sydney, includi Read more on this news related to 'Dampen'
- Crews dampen down hotspots from Cecil Peak blaze
Fire crews have finished dampening down the hotspots from a vegetation fire near Lake Wakatipu and Queenstown. Crews dampen down hotspots from Cecil Peak blaze Fire, Lake Wakatipu, Queenstown, Cecil Peak, Department of Conservation Read more on this news related to 'Dampen'
- Fire crews dampen hot spots on Cecil Peak
Rural fire crews, supported by two helicopters, are dampening hot spots after a fire on the lower slopes of Cecil Peak, on Lake Wakatipu. Fire crews dampen hot spots on Cecil Peak Fire, Queenstown Read more on this news related to 'Dampen'