Dampen Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- make moist; "The dew moistened the meadows"
- lessen in force or effect; "soften a shock"; "break a fall"
- check; keep in check (a fire)
- make vague or obscure or make (an image) less visible; "muffle the message"
- smother or suppress; "Stifle your curiosity"
- reduce the amplitude (of oscillations or waves)
- deaden (a sound or noise), especially by wrapping
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Dampen'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dampen'
- Mallet dampening: Mallet dampening is a vibraphone technique that facilitates legato phrasing on the instrument. It is accomplished by striking a note on ...
Words and phrases related to 'Dampen'
Dampen Sample Sentences in News
- Rain didn’t dampen Anzac enthusiasm
RAIN did little to dampen the spirits of those at Albany’s Centennial campground last night, with campers determined to pay their respects to our fallen diggers. Read more on this news related to 'Dampen'
- Daimler, VW dampen speculation about imminent CEO succession
MUNICH (Reuters) - Succession is not an imminent topic at Daimler or Volkswagen, the chief executives of both carmakers said on Thursday, adding that any potential candidates would most likely come from within their respective companies. Daimler chief Dieter Zetsche and Martin Winterkorn, who heads up Volkswagen, were both asked during a panel discussion in Munich Read more on this news related to 'Dampen'
- Bayer says animal health unit large enough
FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Bayer sought to dampen expectations that any proceeds from a separate listing of its plastics unit would be used for takeover deals to bolster its animal health activities. "We have an animal health business that is not small, with good products in the market," Chief Executive Marijn Dekkers said in a conference call. "We belie Read more on this news related to 'Dampen'