Dampen Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- make moist; "The dew moistened the meadows"
- lessen in force or effect; "soften a shock"; "break a fall"
- check; keep in check (a fire)
- make vague or obscure or make (an image) less visible; "muffle the message"
- smother or suppress; "Stifle your curiosity"
- reduce the amplitude (of oscillations or waves)
- deaden (a sound or noise), especially by wrapping
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Dampen'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dampen'
- Mallet dampening: Mallet dampening is a vibraphone technique that facilitates legato phrasing on the instrument. It is accomplished by striking a note on ...
Words and phrases related to 'Dampen'
Dampen Sample Sentences in News
- Rain doesn't dampen Columbus Day Parade
A little precipitation Monday could not dampen the spirits of those who lined sidewalks on State Street to watch floats, bands and performers in the Columbus Day Parade. Read more on this news related to 'Dampen'
- Rain fails to dampen Pink Run participants
DESPITE the rain, more than 700 runners clad in pink-striped singlets remained in high spirits as they joined the eighth edition of Pink Run, an event that advocates Breast Cancer Awareness, yesterday at the Ayala Terraces. “It gives us hope. Read more on this news related to 'Dampen'
- Fun-filled children's week
Despite the rain, nothing could dampen the enthusiasm and spirits of about 10,000 children and their families who kicked off Children's Week with a fun day at Whiteman Park. Read more on this news related to 'Dampen'