Dampen Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- make moist; "The dew moistened the meadows"
- lessen in force or effect; "soften a shock"; "break a fall"
- check; keep in check (a fire)
- make vague or obscure or make (an image) less visible; "muffle the message"
- smother or suppress; "Stifle your curiosity"
- reduce the amplitude (of oscillations or waves)
- deaden (a sound or noise), especially by wrapping
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Dampen'?
Words and phrases related to 'Dampen'
Dampen Sample Sentences in News
- Would a Mild Winter Dampen Ferrellgas' (FGP) Propane Biz?
Ferrellgas Partners' expansion of the salt water disposal business is appreciable but a normal winter is expected to dampen propane demand. Read more on this news related to 'Dampen'
- Rain doesn't dampen spirit at Wanganui Christmas Parade
It may have rained on the Christmas Parade this year but organisers Mainstreet Wanganui say it did nothing to dampen the spirit of participants or the crowd who gathered for what proved to be a fantastic spectacle despite the weather. "It was always going to be unpredictable," says Mainstreet Marketing Manager Elise Goodge "we knew it was likely to Read more on this news related to 'Dampen'
- Wind, rain don't dampen toy run turnout
Santa is used to working in the cold, and it wasn’t going to deter the horde of bikers doing their own bit of gift delivery Sunday. Read more on this news related to 'Dampen'