Dampen Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- make moist; "The dew moistened the meadows"
- lessen in force or effect; "soften a shock"; "break a fall"
- check; keep in check (a fire)
- make vague or obscure or make (an image) less visible; "muffle the message"
- smother or suppress; "Stifle your curiosity"
- reduce the amplitude (of oscillations or waves)
- deaden (a sound or noise), especially by wrapping
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Dampen'?
Words and phrases related to 'Dampen'
Dampen Sample Sentences in News
- MIDEAST STOCKS-Weaker oil may dampen Gulf sentiment
Renewed weakness in oil prices ahead of a deadline on Iran nuclear talks may dampen Gulf investor sentiment on Monday, although Credit Suisse's upgrade of markets in the United Arab Emirates could boost the mood in Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Oil prices fell on Monday, extending steep losses from the previous session, as Iran and six world powers tried to reach a dea Read more on this news related to 'Dampen'
- Rain to dampen the Wyoming Valley into the weekend
The sunshine will make a brief return to the Wyoming Valley, but rain is expected to wrap up the week.The National Weather Service indicated that it was 23 degrees as of 7:54 a.m. at the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport. Partly cloudy skies kicked off the morning for commuters. Read more on this news related to 'Dampen'
- ‘Reasonable’ pay hike won’t impact BPO growth: Romulo
REASONABLE pay increases will not dampen the rapid expansion of the country’s labor-intensive information technology (IT) and business process outsourcing (BPO) sector, Pasig City Rep. Roman Romulo said Sunday. “We do not see the P15-inrcease in the daily minimum wage (for private sector workers in Metro Manila) influencing the decision of BPO players to eithe Read more on this news related to 'Dampen'