Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Dalliance'
- the deliberate act of wasting time instead of working [syn: dawdling, trifling, wasting time]
- playful behavior intended to arouse sexual interest [syn: flirt, flirting, flirtation, coquetry, toying]
- Dalliance \Dal"li*ance\, n. [From Dally.]
- The act of dallying, trifling, or fondling; interchange of caresses; wanton play. Look thou be true, do not give dalliance Too mnch the rein. --Shak. O, the dalliance and the wit, The flattery and the strife! --Tennyson.
- Delay or procrastination. --Shak.
- Entertaining discourse. [Obs.] --Chaucer.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Dalliance'
"Dalliance," by Tom Stoppard is based on the play "Liebelei," by Arthur Schnitzler. "Dalliance" was first performed at the Lyttelton Theatre, London, on May 27, 1986.
Fritz, who considers himself a man-about-town in 1890s Vienna, is despondent because his affair with a sophisticated, upper-class lady has ended due to the lady's fear her husband might be aware of it. Fritz's friend Theodore tries to cheer Fritz up by introducing him to Christine, a seamstress for the opera. Theodore believes a dalliance with a charming lower-class woman can take a man's mind off his troubles. Almost immediately after the dalliance begins, Fritz receives a challenge from the sophisticated lady's husband. Fritz is not good with a pistol, and the husband has a reputation as an excellent shot, so Fritz knows he has little chance of surviving the duel. Ironically, in the few remaining days in his life, Fritz and Christine fall in love. Fritz sees the superiority of a simple life of mutual love over the bon vivant life of an urban bachelor. Beyond the addition of Stoppardian wit in the adaptation, Stoppard's major change from the original is to shift the last scene from Christine's apartment to backstage at the opera. A comic opera with a similar plot is taking place on stage when Christine hears the news Fritz has been killed in a duel.[See more about Dalliance at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Dalliance'
Dalliance Sample Sentences in News
- Orlando Bloom throws punch at Justin Bieber over Miranda Kerr
What started as a rumoured dalliance between Australia's biggest beauty export and the celebrity everyone loves to hate has ended with an alleged punch in an exclusive Ibiza restaurant. Read more on this news related to 'Dalliance'
- Kristen Stewart’s Kiss Cost Director Millions
Snow White and the Huntsman star Kristen Stewart’s July, 2012 dalliance with Rupert Sanders cost the director millions in divorce court. Almost two years later to the day the scandal broke, Sanders’ marriage to former model Liberty Ross officially came … Read more on this news related to 'Dalliance'
- “Who decided to build town homes on this property and why?”
Remember Sweetwater Union High School District’s dalliance with the Christian University -- Grand Canyon, in January 2013? Remember when the district made a bid to take over part of the National City Adult Education Center for Alliant University in May 2013? Or when a district-hired detective knocked on the door of a woman who spoke out at board meetings in Sept Read more on this news related to 'Dalliance'