Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Cyclone'
- (meteorology) rapid inward circulation of air masses about a low-pressure center; circling counterclockwise in the northern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern [ant: anticyclone]
- a violent rotating windstorm
- Cyclone \Cy"clone\, n.
- (Meteor.) In general, a condition of the atmosphere characterized by a central area of pressure much lower than that of surrounding areas, and a system of winds blowing inward and around (clockwise in the southern hemisphere and counter-clockwise in the northern); -- called also a low-area storm. It is attended by high temperature, moist air, abundant precipitation, and clouded sky. The term includes the hurricane, typhoon, and tropical storms; it should not be applied to the moderate disturbances attending ordinary areas of low pressure nor to tornadoes, waterspouts, or ``twisters,'' in which the vertical motion is more important than the horizontal.
- A tornado. See above, and Tornado. [Middle U. S.]
- Cyclone \Cy"clone\ (s?"kl?n), n. [Gr.????? moving in a circle,
p. pr. of ?????, fr. ky`klos circle.] (Meteor.)
A violent storm, often of vast extent, characterized by high
winds rotating about a calm center of low atmospheric
pressure. This center moves onward, often with a velocity of
twenty or thirty miles an hour.
Note: The atmospheric disturbance usually accompanying a
cyclone, marked by an onward moving area of high
pressure, is called an anticyclone.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Cyclone'
In meteorology, a cyclone is an area of closed, circular fluid motion rotating in the same direction as the Earth.
Cyclogenesis describes the process of cyclone formation and intensification. Extratropical cyclones form as waves in large regions of enhanced midlatitude temperature contrasts called baroclinic zones. These zones contract to form weather fronts as the cyclonic circulation closes and intensifies. Later in their life cycle, cyclones occlude as cold core systems. A cyclone's track is guided over the course of its 2 to 6 day life cycle by the steering flow of the cancer or subtropical jet stream.
Weather fronts separate two masses of air of different densities and are associated with the most prominent meteorological phenomena. Air masses separated by a front may differ in temperature or humidity. Strong cold fronts typically feature narrow bands of thunderstorms and severe weather, and may on occasion be preceded by squall lines or dry lines. They form west of the circulation center and generally move from west to east. Warm fronts form east of the cyclone center and are usually preceded by stratiform precipitation and fog. They move poleward ahead of the cyclone path. Occluded fronts form late in the cyclone life cycle near the center of the cyclone and often wrap around the storm center.[See more about Cyclone at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Cyclone'
Cyclone Sample Sentences in News
- Cyclone Power Technologies Signs Letter of Intent With Leading Turbine Systems Integrator Steam Logic Inc. of Canada ...
Cyclone Power Technologies , developer of the all-fuel, clean-tech Cyclone Engine, announced today that it has signed a letter of intent with Steam Logic Inc. based in Mississauga, Canada to integrate ... Read more on this news related to 'Cyclone'
- Cyclone Completes Key Manufacturing Agreement With Hypex, Inc. for Production of Cyclone Components
Cyclone Power Technologies Inc. , developer of the all-fuel, clean-tech Cyclone Engine, announced today that it has completed its Memorandum of Understanding agreement with Hypex Inc. of Southampton, PA. ... Read more on this news related to 'Cyclone'
- Wicked Cyclone: Hybrid steel, wooden roller coaster coming to Six Flags
Six Flags New England has begun construction on a state-of-the-art wooden and steel hybrid roller coaster that will be the first of its kind on the East Coast. Read more on this news related to 'Cyclone'