Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Cur'
- Cur \Cur\ (k[^u]r), n. [OE. curre, kur; cf. dial. Sw. kurre dog,
OD. korre watchdog, and Icel. kurra to murmur, grumble, Sw.
kurra to rumble, croak, Dan. kurre to coo, whirr; prob. of
- A mongrel or inferior dog. They . . . like to village curs, Bark when their fellows do. -- Shak.
- A worthless, snarling fellow; -- used in contempt. What would you have, you curs, That like nor peace nor war? --Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Cur'
Cur as slang refers to a type of random-bred, or mixed-breed dog. This article deals with Cur as an actual breed.
The derivation of the word "cur" dates from the 13th century. It is thought to be short for the Middle English "curdogge", which derives from the word "curren", meaning "to growl". If so, the word may be onomatopoeic. Cur and the word "mutt" mean almost the same thing. A mutt is also a mixed breed or stray dog.
Another plausible explanation is that the word may be a derivation of "cu", the Gaelic word for "hound".
Historically, the words cur and feist were used in England to refer to small hunting dogs, where "feists" were the smaller dogs and "curs" were 30 lbs or larger. The Elizabethans may have used the word "cur" to denote "terrier".[See more about Cur at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Cur'
Cur Sample Sentences in News
- Iomairt "Nas Fheàrr Còmhla" ga cur air bhog ann an Steòrnabhagh
Meur Leòdhais is na Hearadh den iomairt "Nas Fheàrr Còmhla", a tha ag iomairt gus Alba a chumail anns an Rìoghachd Aonaichte, ga chur air bhog ann an Steòrnabhagh. Read more on this news related to 'Cur'
- DiagnoCure to host Q2 2013 earnings conference call and webcast
QUEBEC CITY, May 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -DiagnoCure Inc. (TSX: CUR) (OTCQX: DGCRF) announced today that it will release its second quarter 2013 results on June 3, 2013, at 4:00 p.m. (EDT). DiagnoCure's ... Read more on this news related to 'Cur'
- DiagnoCure announces second quarter 2013 results
QUEBEC CITY, June 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ - DiagnoCure Inc. (TSX: CUR) (OTCQX: DGCRF) (the "Corporation") today reported financial and operational results for the second quarter ended April 30, ... Read more on this news related to 'Cur'