Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Cur'
- Cur \Cur\ (k[^u]r), n. [OE. curre, kur; cf. dial. Sw. kurre dog,
OD. korre watchdog, and Icel. kurra to murmur, grumble, Sw.
kurra to rumble, croak, Dan. kurre to coo, whirr; prob. of
- A mongrel or inferior dog. They . . . like to village curs, Bark when their fellows do. -- Shak.
- A worthless, snarling fellow; -- used in contempt. What would you have, you curs, That like nor peace nor war? --Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Cur'
Cur as slang refers to a type of random-bred, or mixed-breed dog. This article deals with Cur as an actual breed.
The derivation of the word "cur" dates from the 13th century. It is thought to be short for the Middle English "curdogge", which derives from the word "curren", meaning "to growl". If so, the word may be onomatopoeic. Cur and the word "mutt" mean almost the same thing. A mutt is also a mixed breed or stray dog.
Another plausible explanation is that the word may be a derivation of "cu", the Gaelic word for "hound".
Historically, the words cur and feist were used in England to refer to small hunting dogs, where "feists" were the smaller dogs and "curs" were 30 lbs or larger. The Elizabethans may have used the word "cur" to denote "terrier".[See more about Cur at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Cur'
Cur Sample Sentences in News
- CUR: Neuralstem Pipeline Rolling Forward, Tackling Major Unmet Needs
On August 8, 2014, Neuralstem Inc. (CUR) reported financial results for the second quarter ending June 30, 2014. As of June 30, 2014, Neuralstem reported cash and investments of approximately $30.2 million. Read more on this news related to 'Cur'
- JetBlue to Launch Nonstop Service From New York to Curacao
JetBlue Airways , New York's Hometown Airline™, will launch a new route to Curaçao International Airport from JFK International Airport on December 2, 2014 , providing the only nonstop service from New ... Read more on this news related to 'Cur'
- Cead ga dhiùltadh do thuath-gaoithe
Ministrealachd an Dìon air cur an aghaidh iarrtais airson cead-dealbhachaidh do chrann-gaoithe air raon goilf Àsgairnis ann an Uibhist a Deas. Read more on this news related to 'Cur'