Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Cupboard'
n : a small room (or recess) or cabinet used for storage space
- Cupboard \Cup"board\ (k[u^]b"b[~e]rd), n. [Cup + board.]
- A board or shelf for cups and dishes. [Obs.] --Bacon.
- A small closet in a room, with shelves to receive cups, dishes, food, etc.; hence, any small closet. Cupboard love, interested love, or that which has an eye to the cupboard. ``A cupboard love is seldom true.'' --Poor Robin. [Colloq.] To cry cupboard, to call for food; to express hunger. [Colloq.] ``My stomach cries cupboard.'' --W. Irving.
- Cupboard \Cup"board\, v. t.
To collect, as into a cupboard; to hoard. [R.] --Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Cupboard'
A cupboard (pronounced /ˈkʌbərd/) or press (Hiberno-English) is a type of cabinet, often made of wood, used indoors to store household objects such as food, crockery, textiles and liquor, and protect them from dust and dirt.
As the name suggests, this piece of furniture was originally a simple board or table on which to place cups or mugs--recorded use of such a name dates back to at least the Middle Ages. For the last few centuries, "cupboard" has referred to a storage area enclosed by doors.
The term cupboard was originally used to describe an open-shelved side table for displaying plates, cups and saucers. These open cupboards typically had between one and three display tiers, and at the time, a drawer or multiple drawers fitted to them. The word cupboard gradually came to mean a closed piece of furniture.[See more about Cupboard at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Cupboard'
Cupboard Sample Sentences in News
- Baby in cupboard trial a 'nightmare'
A nurse accused of placing baby in a stationery cupboard at a Romford hospital says her life has turned into a "nightmare". Read more on this news related to 'Cupboard'
- Trojan cupboard thieves arrested
Swiss police arrested the conmen who duped their unsuspecting victims into placing suitcases of cash into a cupboard for safekeeping while negotiating the sale of a car or other high value item. Read more on this news related to 'Cupboard'
- Lord’s Cupboard makes food boxes for families
The Lord’s Cupboard is gearing up for the community’s annual Christmas food boxes for Jefferson County families in need. “We’re preparing for 500 families,” said Rose McMahon, helping recruit volunteers for box packing. “More people are requesting help than ever before. The needs are greater, but the rewards are greater for helping them.” Last year, Read more on this news related to 'Cupboard'