Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Cultivate'
- foster the growth of
- prepare for crops; "Work the soil"; "cultivate the land" [syn: crop, work]
- train to be discriminative in taste or judgment; "Cultivate your musical taste"; "Train your tastebuds"; "She is well schooled in poetry" [syn: educate, school, train, civilize, civilise]
- adapt (a wild plant or unclaimed land) to the environment; "domesticate oats"; "tame the soil" [syn: domesticate, naturalize, naturalise, tame]
- Cultivate \Cul"ti*vate\ (k?l"t?-v?t), v. t. [imp. & p. p.
Cultivated (-v?`t?d); p. pr. & vb. n. Cultivating
(-v?`-t?ng).] [LL. cultivatus, p. p. of cultivare to
cultivate, fr. cultivus cultivated, fr. L. cultus, p. p. of
colere to till, cultivate. Cf. Colony.]
- To bestow attention, care, and labor upon, with a view to valuable returns; to till; to fertilize; as, to cultivate soil.
- To direct special attention to; to devote time and thought to; to foster; to cherish. Leisure . . . to cultivate general literature. --Wordsworth.
- To seek the society of; to court intimacy with. I ever looked on Lord Keppel as one of the greatest and best men of his age; and I loved and cultivated him accordingly. --Burke.
- To improve by labor, care, or study; to impart culture to; to civilize; to refine. To cultivate the wild, licentious savage. --Addison. The mind of man hath need to be prepared for piety and virtue; it must be cultivated to the end. --Tillotson.
- To raise or produce by tillage; to care for while growing; as, to cultivate corn or grass.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Cultivate'
Agriculture is the production, processing, marketing, and use of foods, fibers and byproducts from plant crops and animals.
Agriculture encompasses a wide variety of specialties and techniques, including ways to expand the lands suitable for plant raising, by digging water-channels and other forms of irrigation. Cultivation of crops on arable land and the pastoral herding of livestock on rangeland remain at the foundation of agriculture. In the past century there has been increasing concern to identify and quantify various forms of agriculture. In the developed world the range usually extends between sustainable agriculture (e.g. permaculture or organic agriculture) and intensive farming (e.g. industrial agriculture).
Modern agronomy, plant breeding, pesticides and fertilizers, and technological improvements have sharply increased yields from cultivation, but at the same time have caused widespread ecological damage and negative human health effects.[See more about Cultivate at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Cultivate'
'Cultivate' in famous quotation sentence
* However mean your life is, meet it and live it do not shun it and call it hard names. Cultivate poverty like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Things do not change, we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts. - Henry David Thoreau
* Do continue to believe that with your feeling and your work you are taking part in the greatest the more strongly you cultivate this belief, the more will reality and the world go forth from it. - Rainer Maria Rilke
Click here for more related quotations on 'Cultivate'
Cultivate Sample Sentences in News
- PivotDesk Launches ‘Cultivate’ For Commercial Real Estate Brokers
PivotDesk today announced the launch of Cultivate by PivotDesk, a free service for commercial real estate brokers that allows them to develop, manage and nurture clients in a way that wasn’t previously possible. Read more on this news related to 'Cultivate'
- Improving Fundamentals Help Cultivate Potash, Fertilizer ETFs
The fertilizer industry and related agribusiness exchange traded funds are showing improved fundamentals, with Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan (NYSE: POT) raising its outlook for industry-wide shipments while ... Read more on this news related to 'Cultivate'
- Ambius Honored with Nine International Plantscape Awards at Cultivate’14
Ambius, the global interior landscaping leader and part of the Rentokil family of companies, was honored with nine International Plantscape awards from the Plantscape Institute of America at Cultivate’14 by AmericanHort. Read more on this news related to 'Cultivate'