Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Cradling'
- Cradle \Cra"dle\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Cradled (-d'ld); p. pr.
& vb. n. Cradling (-dl?ng).]
- To lay to rest, or rock, as in a cradle; to lull or quiet, as by rocking. It cradles their fears to sleep. --D. A. Clark.
- To nurse or train in infancy. He that hath been cradled in majesty will not leave the throne to play with beggars. --Glanvill.
- To cut and lay with a cradle, as grain.
- To transport a vessel by means of a cradle. In Lombardy . . . boats are cradled and transported over the grade. --Knight. To cradle a picture, to put ribs across the back of a picture, to prevent the panels from warping.
- Cradling \Cra"dling\ (-dl?ng), n.
- The act of using a cradle.
- (Coopering) Cutting a cask into two pieces lengthwise, to enable it to pass a narrow place, the two parts being afterward united and rehooped.
- (Carp.) The framework in arched or coved ceilings to which the laths are nailed. --Knight.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Cradling'
Cradling was a gold mining technique used by gold miners in the 19th century. Otherwise known as a rocker, the cradle does indeed resemble a child's cradle.
It must be manipulated carefully, to prevent losing the gold. Although big, and difficult to move, the rocker can pick up double the gravel, and therefore more gold in one day than an ordinary gold mining pan.
The rocker, like the pan, is used extensively in small-scale placer work, in sampling, and for washing sluice concentrates and material cleaned by hand from bedrock in other placer operations. One to three cubic yards, bank measure, can be dug and washed in a rocker per man-shift, depending upon the distance the gravel or water has to be carried, the character of the gravel, and the size of the rocker.
Rockers are usually homemade and display a variety of designs. A favourite design consists essentially of a combination washing box and screen, a canvas or carpet apron under the screen, a short sluice with two or more riffles, and rockers under the sluice. The bottom of the washing box consists of sheet metal with holes about 1/2 inch in diameter punched in it, or a l/2-inch-mesh screen can be used. Dimensions shown are satisfactory but variations are possible. The bottom of the rocker should be made of a single wide, smooth board, which will greatly facilitate cleanups. The materials for building a rocker cost only a few dollars, depending mainly upon the source of lumber.[See more about Cradling at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Cradling'
Cradling Sample Sentences in News
- REMEMBERING ROBIN
Cradling her Emmy Award backstage, Kathy Bates recalled a night years ago when she won an award and wanted to call her mother with the news. Read more on this news related to 'Cradling'
- Ohio Group to Hold Benefit Dinner to Help Franciscans in Israel and Gaza
An Ohio group called Cradling Christianity is the Columbus, Ohio region of the Franciscan Foundation for the Holy Land. They will be hosting a benefit dinner to support the Franciscans in the Holy Land in their difficult work to preserve the Christian presence there. (PRWeb August 21, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/franciscans_holy Read more on this news related to 'Cradling'
- Gazans return in fear to UN schools as conflict erupts anew
Cradling his baby daughter, Saeed Masri took flight Friday from renewed Israeli bombardment of Gaza with little faith that even a UN facility can protect his family. Three hours after a temporary ceasefire between Israel and Hamas ended, a missile hit the roof of a building opposite the apartment in Jabaliya where he was staying with relatives after his own neighb Read more on this news related to 'Cradling'