Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Cradling'
- Cradle \Cra"dle\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Cradled (-d'ld); p. pr.
& vb. n. Cradling (-dl?ng).]
- To lay to rest, or rock, as in a cradle; to lull or quiet, as by rocking. It cradles their fears to sleep. --D. A. Clark.
- To nurse or train in infancy. He that hath been cradled in majesty will not leave the throne to play with beggars. --Glanvill.
- To cut and lay with a cradle, as grain.
- To transport a vessel by means of a cradle. In Lombardy . . . boats are cradled and transported over the grade. --Knight. To cradle a picture, to put ribs across the back of a picture, to prevent the panels from warping.
- Cradling \Cra"dling\ (-dl?ng), n.
- The act of using a cradle.
- (Coopering) Cutting a cask into two pieces lengthwise, to enable it to pass a narrow place, the two parts being afterward united and rehooped.
- (Carp.) The framework in arched or coved ceilings to which the laths are nailed. --Knight.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Cradling'
Cradling was a gold mining technique used by gold miners in the 19th century. Otherwise known as a rocker, the cradle does indeed resemble a child's cradle.
It must be manipulated carefully, to prevent losing the gold. Although big, and difficult to move, the rocker can pick up double the gravel, and therefore more gold in one day than an ordinary gold mining pan.
The rocker, like the pan, is used extensively in small-scale placer work, in sampling, and for washing sluice concentrates and material cleaned by hand from bedrock in other placer operations. One to three cubic yards, bank measure, can be dug and washed in a rocker per man-shift, depending upon the distance the gravel or water has to be carried, the character of the gravel, and the size of the rocker.
Rockers are usually homemade and display a variety of designs. A favourite design consists essentially of a combination washing box and screen, a canvas or carpet apron under the screen, a short sluice with two or more riffles, and rockers under the sluice. The bottom of the washing box consists of sheet metal with holes about 1/2 inch in diameter punched in it, or a l/2-inch-mesh screen can be used. Dimensions shown are satisfactory but variations are possible. The bottom of the rocker should be made of a single wide, smooth board, which will greatly facilitate cleanups. The materials for building a rocker cost only a few dollars, depending mainly upon the source of lumber.[See more about Cradling at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Cradling'
Cradling Sample Sentences in News
- Grain cradling runs in Maryland family
WESTMINSTER, Md. (AP) - Throughout the 1800s and into the early 1900s, Carroll County farmers could harvest about three-fourths of an acre of wheat a day by using a grain cradle. The cradle, which has four metal fingers and a blade attached to a long handle, was used ... Read more on this news related to 'Cradling'
- Couple Found In Hotel: Couple Found Cradling Each Other After Apparent Double Suicide
A couple found dead in a hotel room in New York are believed to have committed suicide together after a “run of bad luck.” According to The New York Daily News, Scott Jacobi, 37, and Theresa Mateo, 34, were found lying in each other’s arms after an apparent drug overdose. A relative of the couple Read more on this news related to 'Cradling'
- That's not Prince George! Pippa Middleton spotted cradling toy baby in busy street
SHE'S NEVER been pictured with her nephew Prince George but yesterday Pippa Middleton appeared to be getting in some practice holding a doll in the street. Read more on this news related to 'Cradling'