Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Cowardly'
adj : lacking courage; ignobly timid and faint-hearted; "cowardly
dogs, ye will not aid me then"- P.B.Shelley [syn: fearful]
- Cowardly \Cow"ard*ly\, a.
- Wanting courage; basely or weakly timid or fearful; pusillanimous; spiritless. The cowardly rascals that ran from the battle. --Shak.
- Proceeding from fear of danger or other consequences; befitting a coward; dastardly; base; as, cowardly malignity. --Macaulay. The cowardly rashness of those who dare not look danger in the face. --Burke. Syn: Timid; fearful; timorous; dastardly; pusillanimous; recreant; craven; faint-hearted; chicken-hearted; white-livered.
- Cowardly \Cow"ard*ly\, adv.
In the manner of a coward. --Spenser.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Cowardly'
Cowardice, in general terms, is the perceived failure to demonstrate sufficient robustness in the face of a challenging situation. The term describes a personality trait which is viewed as a negative characteristic and has been frowned upon (see norms) within most, if not all global cultures, while courage, typically viewed as its direct opposite, is generally rewarded and encouraged.
Cowards are usually seen to have avoided or refused to engage in a confrontation or struggle which has been deemed good or righteous by the wider culture in which they live. On a more mundane level, the label may be applied to those who are regarded as too frightened or overwhelmed to defend their rights or those of others from aggressors in their lives.
Acts of cowardice have long been punishable by military law, which defines a wide range of cowardly offenses including desertion in face of the enemy and surrendering to the enemy against orders. The punishment for such acts is typically severe, ranging from corporal punishment to the death sentence. Cowardly conduct is specifically mentioned within the United States Uniform Code of Military Justice.[See more about Cowardly at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Cowardly'
'Cowardly' in famous quotation sentence
* The secret of power is the knowledge that others are more cowardly than you are. - Ludwig Boerne
* As the representatives of the people we are here to declare that our resolve has not been weakened by these horrific and cowardly acts. referring to the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon - Tom Daschle
Click here for more related quotations on 'Cowardly'
Cowardly Sample Sentences in News
- Greens call PM cowardly over audit secrecy
The Australian Greens say Prime Minister Tony Abbott doesn't have the guts to reveal planned cuts ahead of state polls and the WA Senate election. Read more on this news related to 'Cowardly'
- China must break 'cowardly' silence on Tiananmen
With the 25th anniversary of China's Tiananmen Square crackdown approaching, the relatives of victims tell Communist leaders they must stop pretending killings "did not happen" Read more on this news related to 'Cowardly'
- ‘Misyar’ marriages are completely un-Islamic
With regard to the article "‘Misyar’ marriage... for the cowardly" (Mar. 7), a Muslim man is allowed by Shariah to have a maximum of four wives at a time. It is because of the influence of the Western non-Muslim world that some Muslim wives no longer accept sharing their husbands with another wife, which is actually un-Islamic in that the wife has be Read more on this news related to 'Cowardly'