Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Cowardice'
- Cowardice \Cow"ard*ice\ (-[i^]s), n. [F. couardise, fr. couard.
Want of courage to face danger; extreme timidity;
pusillanimity; base fear of danger or hurt; lack of spirit.
The cowardice of doing wrong. --Milton.
Moderation was despised as cowardice. --Macaulay.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Cowardice'
Cowardice is the perceived failure to demonstrate sufficient robustness in the face of a challenge. The term describes a personality trait which is viewed as a negative characteristic and has been frowned upon (see norms) within most, if not all global cultures, while courage, typically viewed as its direct opposite, is generally rewarded and encouraged.
Cowards are usually seen to have avoided or refused to engage in a confrontation or struggle which has been deemed good or righteous by the wider culture in which they live. On a more mundane level, the label may be applied to those who are regarded as too frightened or overwhelmed to defend their rights or those of others from aggressors in their lives.
Acts of cowardice have long been punishable by military law, which defines a wide range of cowardly offenses including desertion in face of the enemy and surrendering to the enemy against orders. The punishment for such acts is typically severe, ranging from corporal punishment to the death sentence. Cowardly conduct is specifically mentioned within the United States Uniform Code of Military Justice.[See more about Cowardice at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Cowardice'
'Cowardice' in famous quotation sentence
* A high heart ought to bear calamities and not flee them, since in bearing them appears the grandeur of the mind and in fleeing them the cowardice of the heart. - Pietro Aretino
* It could be that our faithlessness is a cowering cowardice born of our very smallness, a massive failure of imagination... If we were to judge nature by common sense or likelihood, we wouldn't believe the world existed. - Annie Dillard
Click here for more related quotations on 'Cowardice'
Cowardice Sample Sentences in News
- Ink attack on Yogendra Yadav an 'act of cowardice'
Aam Aadmi Party's (AAP) senior leader Yogendra Yadav's face was smeared with ink on Saturday afternoon in New Delhi by a man identified as Sagar Bhandari who was then quickly taken away by the Delhi Police. Read more on this news related to 'Cowardice'
- Ann Coulter Mocks ‘Obama Magic,’ Slams GOP Cowardice on Immigration at CPAC
Ann Coulter appeared at CPAC today for a panel discussion, and she spent most of her time emphasizing how important the immigration issue is to the GOP and how caving on amnesty for illegal immigrants would basically be game over for the conservative cause, calling out Republican "cowardice" on the issue. Read more on this news related to 'Cowardice'
- Pension reform cowardice: James Varney
The regular session of the Louisiana Legislature is right around the corner and one of the most depressing aspects of it is what won't be discussed. Pension reform isn't going to be a prominent topic.In fact, what could happen is... Read more on this news related to 'Cowardice'