Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Courteous'
- exhibiting courtesy and politeness; "a nice gesture" [syn: gracious, nice]
- characterized by courtesy and gracious good manners; "if a man be gracious and courteous to strangers it shows he is a citizen of the world"-Francis Bacon [ant: discourteous]
- Courteous \Cour"te*ous\ (k?r"t?-?s; 277), a. [OE. cortais,
corteis, cortois, rarely corteous, OF. corties, corteis, F.
courtois. See Court.]
Of courtlike manners; pertaining to, or expressive of,
courtesy; characterized by courtesy; civil; obliging; well
bred; polite; affable; complaisant.
A patient and courteous bearing. --Prescott.
His behavior toward his people is grave and courteous.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Courteous'
Etiquette ( /ˈɛtɪkɛt/ or /ˈɛtɪkɪt/) is a code of behavior that delineates expectations for social behavior according to contemporary conventional norms within a society, social class, or group. The French word étiquette, literally signifying a tag or label first appeared in English around 1750.
Like culture, etiquette is a word that has gradually grown to become plural, especially in a multi-ethnic society with many clashing expectations. Thus, it is now possible to refer to "an etiquette" or "a culture", realizing that these may not be universal. In Britain, the word "etiquette" has been described as the one word that aptly describes life during the reign of queen Victoria.
Rules of etiquette encompass most aspects of social interaction in any society, though the term itself is not commonly used. A rule of etiquette may reflect an underlying ethical code, or it may reflect a person's fashion or status. Rules of etiquette are usually unwritten, but aspects of etiquette have been codified from time to time.[See more about Courteous at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Courteous'
'Courteous' in famous quotation sentence
* Be courteous to all, but intimate with few and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence. - George Washington
Click here for more related quotations on 'Courteous'
Courteous Sample Sentences in News
- Courteous Communications Honored with CAM-X 2013 Award of Excellence
ORLANDO, Fla., Nov. 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Courteous Communications is proud to announce winning the exclusive CAM-X 2013 Award of Excellence! After being randomly called for the past six months by the CAM-X telecommunication association, we are so happy to say that our agents provided elite customer service and expert call handling to take home this coveted awa Read more on this news related to 'Courteous'
- Chief Justice reminds judges to be courteous in handling people
PUTRAJAYA: Chief Justice has reminded judges and judicial commissioners to be courteous when handling with the people as he have received complaints over their misconduct. Read more on this news related to 'Courteous'
- Judges, JCs must be courteous, avoid misconduct: Chief Justice
PUTRAJAYA: Judges and judicial commissioners must be courteous and avoid misconduct at all times to preserve the sanctity and integrity of the judiciary. Read more on this news related to 'Courteous'