Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Controversy'
n : a contentious speech act; a dispute where there is strong
disagreement; "they were involved in a violent argument"
[syn: contention, contestation, disputation, disceptation,
tilt, argument, arguing]
- Controversy \Con"tro*ver`sy\, n.; pl. Controversies. [L.
controversia, fr. controversus turned against, disputed;
contro- = contra + versus, p. p. of vertere to turn. See
- Contention; dispute; debate; discussion; agitation of contrary opinions. This left no room for controversy about the title. --Locke. A dispute is commonly oral, and a controversy in writing. --Johnson.
- Quarrel; strife; cause of variance; difference. The Lord hath a controversy with the nations. --Jer. xxv. 31.
- A suit in law or equity; a question of right. [Obs.] When any man that had a controversy came to the king for judgment. --2 Sam. xv. 2. Syn: Dispute; debate; disputation; disagreement; altercation; contention; wrangle; strife; quarrel.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Controversy'
Controversy is a state of prolonged public dispute or debate, usually concerning a matter of opinion. The word was coined from the Latin controversia, as a composite of controversus – "turned in an opposite direction," from contra – "against" – and vertere – to turn, or versus (see verse), hence, "to turn against."
Perennial areas of controversy include history, religion, philosophy and politics. Other minor areas of controversy may include economics, science, finances, and race. Controversy in matters of theology has traditionally been particularly heated, giving rise to the phrase odium theologicum. Controversial issues are held as potentially divisive in a given society, because they can lead to tension and ill will.
In the theory of law, a controversy differs from a legal case; while legal cases include all suits, criminal as well as civil, a controversy is a purely civil proceeding.[See more about Controversy at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Controversy'
'Controversy' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Controversy'
Controversy Sample Sentences in News
- Whistle-blower controversy ‘most damaging’ in Garda history
AGSI delegate warns conference morale in force at a dangerously low level Read more on this news related to 'Controversy'
- Controversy over zoning board appointment erupts again at Newtown supervisors’ meeting
NEWTOWN TOWNSHIP - The political donnybrook that highlighted the last supervisors’ meeting over a controversial appointment to the zoning hearing board again surfaced with even more venom at the April 9 supervisors’ meeting. Read more on this news related to 'Controversy'
- Mozilla names interim CEO after gay-marriage controversy
Mozilla appointed an interim CEO on Monday, as the company attempts to move past a controversy over same-sex marriage that forced out its previous chief. Read more on this news related to 'Controversy'