Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Controversy'
n : a contentious speech act; a dispute where there is strong
disagreement; "they were involved in a violent argument"
[syn: contention, contestation, disputation, disceptation,
tilt, argument, arguing]
- Controversy \Con"tro*ver`sy\, n.; pl. Controversies. [L.
controversia, fr. controversus turned against, disputed;
contro- = contra + versus, p. p. of vertere to turn. See
- Contention; dispute; debate; discussion; agitation of contrary opinions. This left no room for controversy about the title. --Locke. A dispute is commonly oral, and a controversy in writing. --Johnson.
- Quarrel; strife; cause of variance; difference. The Lord hath a controversy with the nations. --Jer. xxv. 31.
- A suit in law or equity; a question of right. [Obs.] When any man that had a controversy came to the king for judgment. --2 Sam. xv. 2. Syn: Dispute; debate; disputation; disagreement; altercation; contention; wrangle; strife; quarrel.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Controversy'
Controversy is a state of prolonged public dispute or debate, usually concerning a matter of opinion. The word was coined from the Latin controversia, as a composite of controversus – "turned in an opposite direction," from contra – "against" – and vertere – to turn, or versus (see verse), hence, "to turn against."
Perennial areas of controversy include history, religion, philosophy and politics. Other minor areas of controversy may include economics, science, finances, and race. Controversy in matters of theology has traditionally been particularly heated, giving rise to the phrase odium theologicum. Controversial issues are held as potentially divisive in a given society, because they can lead to tension and ill will.
In the theory of law, a controversy differs from a legal case; while legal cases include all suits, criminal as well as civil, a controversy is a purely civil proceeding.[See more about Controversy at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Controversy'
'Controversy' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Controversy'
Controversy Sample Sentences in News
- Andrew Garfield Responds to Academy Awards Batkid Controversy—Get All the Details!
Amid the recent controversy surrounding why Andrew Garfield was not at Sunday night's Oscars, the actor's rep is clearing the air. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 star... Read more on this news related to 'Controversy'
- Pet coke storage controversy isn't over, just relocated downriver
The controversy over large petroleum coke piles stored along the Detroit River, and the uproar over the ubiquitous black dust that they spread throughout the southwest Detroit neighborhood where they were located, could be moving a few miles downriver. And the issue is causing a dust-up among the potential new neighbors already. Read more on this news related to 'Controversy'
- Odds Maker Courts Controversy By Taking Bets on Oscar Pistorius Murder Verdict
The odds makers at Paddy Power are courting controversy by taking bets on the premeditated murder verdict at Oscar Pistorius’ murder trial. The Dublin based betting house is offering a “money back special” if Pistorius, 27, is acquitted in the shooting death of his model... Read more on this news related to 'Controversy'