Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Controversy'
n : a contentious speech act; a dispute where there is strong
disagreement; "they were involved in a violent argument"
[syn: contention, contestation, disputation, disceptation,
tilt, argument, arguing]
- Controversy \Con"tro*ver`sy\, n.; pl. Controversies. [L.
controversia, fr. controversus turned against, disputed;
contro- = contra + versus, p. p. of vertere to turn. See
- Contention; dispute; debate; discussion; agitation of contrary opinions. This left no room for controversy about the title. --Locke. A dispute is commonly oral, and a controversy in writing. --Johnson.
- Quarrel; strife; cause of variance; difference. The Lord hath a controversy with the nations. --Jer. xxv. 31.
- A suit in law or equity; a question of right. [Obs.] When any man that had a controversy came to the king for judgment. --2 Sam. xv. 2. Syn: Dispute; debate; disputation; disagreement; altercation; contention; wrangle; strife; quarrel.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Controversy'
Controversy is a state of prolonged public dispute or debate, usually concerning a matter of opinion. The word was coined from the Latin controversia, as a composite of controversus – "turned in an opposite direction," from contra – "against" – and vertere – to turn, or versus (see verse), hence, "to turn against."
Perennial areas of controversy include history, religion, philosophy and politics. Other minor areas of controversy may include economics, science, finances, and race. Controversy in matters of theology has traditionally been particularly heated, giving rise to the phrase odium theologicum. Controversial issues are held as potentially divisive in a given society, because they can lead to tension and ill will.
In the theory of law, a controversy differs from a legal case; while legal cases include all suits, criminal as well as civil, a controversy is a purely civil proceeding.[See more about Controversy at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Controversy'
'Controversy' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Controversy'
Controversy Sample Sentences in News
- Michael Buble hopes to avoid controversy
Michael Buble says there were controversies the last few times he came to Australia so he's hoping to avoid them during this month's tour. Read more on this news related to 'Controversy'
- Historic canonization of two popes brings joy and controversy
By Philip Pullella VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Two giants of Roman Catholicism in the 20th century will become saints on Sunday at an unprecedented twin canonization that has aroused both joy and controversy in the 1.2 billion member Church. Pope John XXIII, who reigned from 1958 to 1963 and called the modernizing Second Vatican Council, and Pope John Paul II, who re Read more on this news related to 'Controversy'
- Korean ferry controversy grows as rescue mission limps on
The controversy surrounding the conduct of the crew on the Sewol ferry expanded further Monday with an eyewitness alleging that the ship's first mate may have failed to relay the evacuation order. As new accounts feed the growing controversy, the death toll continued to rise as divers recovered more bodies from the ship's wreckage some 20 kilometers off th Read more on this news related to 'Controversy'