Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Controversy'
n : a contentious speech act; a dispute where there is strong
disagreement; "they were involved in a violent argument"
[syn: contention, contestation, disputation, disceptation,
tilt, argument, arguing]
- Controversy \Con"tro*ver`sy\, n.; pl. Controversies. [L.
controversia, fr. controversus turned against, disputed;
contro- = contra + versus, p. p. of vertere to turn. See
- Contention; dispute; debate; discussion; agitation of contrary opinions. This left no room for controversy about the title. --Locke. A dispute is commonly oral, and a controversy in writing. --Johnson.
- Quarrel; strife; cause of variance; difference. The Lord hath a controversy with the nations. --Jer. xxv. 31.
- A suit in law or equity; a question of right. [Obs.] When any man that had a controversy came to the king for judgment. --2 Sam. xv. 2. Syn: Dispute; debate; disputation; disagreement; altercation; contention; wrangle; strife; quarrel.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Controversy'
Controversy is a state of prolonged public dispute or debate, usually concerning a matter of opinion. The word was coined from the Latin controversia, as a composite of controversus – "turned in an opposite direction," from contra – "against" – and vertere – to turn, or versus (see verse), hence, "to turn against."
Perennial areas of controversy include history, religion, philosophy and politics. Other minor areas of controversy may include economics, science, finances, and race. Controversy in matters of theology has traditionally been particularly heated, giving rise to the phrase odium theologicum. Controversial issues are held as potentially divisive in a given society, because they can lead to tension and ill will.
In the theory of law, a controversy differs from a legal case; while legal cases include all suits, criminal as well as civil, a controversy is a purely civil proceeding.[See more about Controversy at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Controversy'
'Controversy' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Controversy'
Controversy Sample Sentences in News
- Controversy Over Sofía Vergara Obscures An Industry's Failings
When the Colombian actress appeared in a widely derided stunt at the Emmys, much of the attendant outrage centered on her very prominent image. Juan Vidal argues this lets Hollywood off the hook. Read more on this news related to 'Controversy'
- VIDEO: Controversy over new Lennon film
A new film that looks at the events that unfolded the night Beatles star John Lennon was shot, is causing controversy amongst critics and fans. Read more on this news related to 'Controversy'
- Tortoisegate 2014: After weeks of controversy regarding the...
After weeks of controversy regarding the use of three African tortoises in an exhibit at the new Aspen Art Museum, the turtles have been relocated more than a month ahead of schedule. The museum is saying that the change occurred... Read more on this news related to 'Controversy'