Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Construed'
- Construe \Con*strue\ (?; Archaic ?), v. t. [imp. & p. p.
Construed; p. pr. & vb. n. Construing.] [L. construere:
cf. F. construire. See Construct.]
- To apply the rules of syntax to (a sentence or clause) so as to exhibit the structure, arrangement, or connection of, or to discover the sense; to explain the construction of; to interpret; to translate.
- To put a construction upon; to explain the sense or intention of; to interpret; to understand. Thus we are put to construe and paraphrase our own words to free ourselves either from the ignorance or malice of our enemies. --Bp. Stilingfleet. And to be dull was construed to be good. --Pope.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Construed'
Construal is a social psychological term used to describe how a person perceives, comprehends, and interprets the world around him or her, particularly the behavior or action of others towards him or her.
Christopher likes Samantha and wants to ask her to the school prom. He is shy and concerned that Samantha may respond negatively. A social psychologist observes not only Samantha's behavior towards Christopher, but also how Christopher perceives and interprets her behavior toward him. An objective observer may perceive Samantha smiling as friendly, but Christopher may think that she is laughing at something in his appearance, and as a result, he might not invite her.
Basic human motives are the reason people form construals; some of the main reasons are a person's need to be accurate, and their need for self-esteem. Back to our prior example, the reason for Christopher to form the construal that he did was for his need to be accurate. He will want to make an effective judgment based upon how he views her behavior, but in fact he may base his decision on incomplete and inaccurately interpreted information. Christopher's need for self-esteem may prevent him from asking Samantha out because we human beings have a need to feel good about ourselves. If Christopher does approach her, and she responds negatively, his self-esteem would be damaged,hence he may not do so.[See more about Construed at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Construed'
'Construed' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Construed'
Construed Sample Sentences in News
- Stephen A. Smith Seemed to Be Pretty Clear and Consistent With His Views on Domestic Violence
Stephen A. Smith claimed to be misconstrued. More likely, he was properly construed, and his views finally hit a moment in time where (...) Read more on this news related to 'Construed'
- Missouri's Next Tax Reform Frontier: Ending the Special Interest Giveaways
Earlier this month Missouri Governor Jay Nixon vetoed a series of tax incentives passed in the waning days of the state's legislative session. Beneficiaries of the tax breaks included "data centers" broadly construed, restaurants, power companies, dry cleaners, and many more. As the governor explained in a press release distributed shortly after he s Read more on this news related to 'Construed'
- Rahul by temperament not a ruling person: Digvijaya Singh
In what is construed as a criticism of Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi by party general secretary Digvijaya Singh, the latter said the Gandhi scion is by temperament not a person who wants to rule but fight injustice. Read more on this news related to 'Construed'