Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Construed'
- Construe \Con*strue\ (?; Archaic ?), v. t. [imp. & p. p.
Construed; p. pr. & vb. n. Construing.] [L. construere:
cf. F. construire. See Construct.]
- To apply the rules of syntax to (a sentence or clause) so as to exhibit the structure, arrangement, or connection of, or to discover the sense; to explain the construction of; to interpret; to translate.
- To put a construction upon; to explain the sense or intention of; to interpret; to understand. Thus we are put to construe and paraphrase our own words to free ourselves either from the ignorance or malice of our enemies. --Bp. Stilingfleet. And to be dull was construed to be good. --Pope.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Construed'
Construal is a social psychological term used to describe how a person perceives, comprehends, and interprets the world around him or her, particularly the behavior or action of others towards him or her.
Christopher likes Samantha and wants to ask her to the school prom. He is shy and concerned that Samantha may respond negatively. A social psychologist observes not only Samantha's behavior towards Christopher, but also how Christopher perceives and interprets her behavior toward him. An objective observer may perceive Samantha smiling as friendly, but Christopher may think that she is laughing at something in his appearance, and as a result, he might not invite her.
Basic human motives are the reason people form construals; some of the main reasons are a person's need to be accurate, and their need for self-esteem. Back to our prior example, the reason for Christopher to form the construal that he did was for his need to be accurate. He will want to make an effective judgment based upon how he views her behavior, but in fact he may base his decision on incomplete and inaccurately interpreted information. Christopher's need for self-esteem may prevent him from asking Samantha out because we human beings have a need to feel good about ourselves. If Christopher does approach her, and she responds negatively, his self-esteem would be damaged,hence he may not do so.[See more about Construed at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Construed'
'Construed' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Construed'
Construed Sample Sentences in News
- Gold Slides After FOMC Minutes Hint At Tapering 'Sooner Rather Than Later'
(Kitco News) -The gold market construed October minutes of the Federal Open Market Committee to mean that policy-makers would like to start scaling back their bond-buying program “sooner rather than later,” which is seen as a factor likely to hurt the metal. Read more on this news related to 'Construed'
- 'Amma' word shouldn't be construed as reference to Jaya
'Amma' word shouldn't be construed as reference to Jaya Read more on this news related to 'Construed'
- World shares mixed following U.S. budget deal
Global equities are mixed as markets mull the impact of U.S. Congressional leaders agreeing to a budget deal. Such an agreement would normally be construed as a good thing, but not so when there's the Fed's QE to consider. "The deal...would certainly have the potential to bring forward the prospect of tapering," says Interactive Investor's Re Read more on this news related to 'Construed'