Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Construed'
- Construe \Con*strue\ (?; Archaic ?), v. t. [imp. & p. p.
Construed; p. pr. & vb. n. Construing.] [L. construere:
cf. F. construire. See Construct.]
- To apply the rules of syntax to (a sentence or clause) so as to exhibit the structure, arrangement, or connection of, or to discover the sense; to explain the construction of; to interpret; to translate.
- To put a construction upon; to explain the sense or intention of; to interpret; to understand. Thus we are put to construe and paraphrase our own words to free ourselves either from the ignorance or malice of our enemies. --Bp. Stilingfleet. And to be dull was construed to be good. --Pope.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Construed'
Construal is a social psychological term used to describe how a person perceives, comprehends, and interprets the world around him or her, particularly the behavior or action of others towards him or her.
Christopher likes Samantha and wants to ask her to the school prom. He is shy and concerned that Samantha may respond negatively. A social psychologist observes not only Samantha's behavior towards Christopher, but also how Christopher perceives and interprets her behavior toward him. An objective observer may perceive Samantha smiling as friendly, but Christopher may think that she is laughing at something in his appearance, and as a result, he might not invite her.
Basic human motives are the reason people form construals; some of the main reasons are a person's need to be accurate, and their need for self-esteem. Back to our prior example, the reason for Christopher to form the construal that he did was for his need to be accurate. He will want to make an effective judgment based upon how he views her behavior, but in fact he may base his decision on incomplete and inaccurately interpreted information. Christopher's need for self-esteem may prevent him from asking Samantha out because we human beings have a need to feel good about ourselves. If Christopher does approach her, and she responds negatively, his self-esteem would be damaged,hence he may not do so.[See more about Construed at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Construed'
'Construed' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Construed'
Construed Sample Sentences in News
- Microsoft Shows Off 'Power Of The Cloud' With Azure Servers
In what could be construed as a response to some of the framerate and resolution differences between the Xbox One and the PS4, took the stage at the San Francisco Build Conference to demonstrate how cloud computing technology can enhance video game graphics. This is the sort of thing that Microsoft has been talking about since the Xbox One reveal, but we've ye Read more on this news related to 'Construed'
- Parents stage dharna outside school demanding action
Pune: Unhappy with what is being construed as lack of safety guidelines by school authorities, coupled with the insensitive responses from teachers over the girl raped by the bus attendant; agitated parents, students, former students and political activists protested outside the school in Wanowrie, to ensure safety measures. Read more on this news related to 'Construed'
- CFTC Data Show Spec Gold Net Long Cut After Crimean Vote, FOMC Meeting
(Kitco News) - Large speculators scaled back on their bullish positions in gold and added some bearish ones after Ukrainian tensions eased and comments from the Federal Reserve were construed as hawkish, analysts said. Read more on this news related to 'Construed'