Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Construed'
- Construe \Con*strue\ (?; Archaic ?), v. t. [imp. & p. p.
Construed; p. pr. & vb. n. Construing.] [L. construere:
cf. F. construire. See Construct.]
- To apply the rules of syntax to (a sentence or clause) so as to exhibit the structure, arrangement, or connection of, or to discover the sense; to explain the construction of; to interpret; to translate.
- To put a construction upon; to explain the sense or intention of; to interpret; to understand. Thus we are put to construe and paraphrase our own words to free ourselves either from the ignorance or malice of our enemies. --Bp. Stilingfleet. And to be dull was construed to be good. --Pope.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Construed'
Construal is a social psychological term used to describe how a person perceives, comprehends, and interprets the world around him or her, particularly the behavior or action of others towards him or her.
Christopher likes Samantha and wants to ask her to the school prom. He is shy and concerned that Samantha may respond negatively. A social psychologist observes not only Samantha's behavior towards Christopher, but also how Christopher perceives and interprets her behavior toward him. An objective observer may perceive Samantha smiling as friendly, but Christopher may think that she is laughing at something in his appearance, and as a result, he might not invite her.
Basic human motives are the reason people form construals; some of the main reasons are a person's need to be accurate, and their need for self-esteem. Back to our prior example, the reason for Christopher to form the construal that he did was for his need to be accurate. He will want to make an effective judgment based upon how he views her behavior, but in fact he may base his decision on incomplete and inaccurately interpreted information. Christopher's need for self-esteem may prevent him from asking Samantha out because we human beings have a need to feel good about ourselves. If Christopher does approach her, and she responds negatively, his self-esteem would be damaged,hence he may not do so.[See more about Construed at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Construed'
'Construed' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Construed'
Construed Sample Sentences in News
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley regrets that his remarks were construed as insensitive
Finance Minister Arun Jaitley regrets that his remarks were construed as insensitive Read more on this news related to 'Construed'
- Not trivialising any incident: Jaitley on Dec 16 rape comments
New Delhi : Finance Minister Arun Jaitley today regretted that his apparent comments on the December 16 gangrape have been construed as insensitive and said he had no intention of trivialising the incident. "I regret that the statement has been construed or some word that I have used have been construed as insensitive. That was never my intention," Read more on this news related to 'Construed'
- Not trivialising any incident: Arun Jaitley on Dec 16 rape comments
New Delhi, Aug 22: Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on Friday regretted that his apparent comments on the December 16 gangrape have been construed as insensitive and said he had no intention of trivialising the incident. "I regret that the statement Read more on this news related to 'Construed'