Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Consort'
Consort Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- the husband or wife of a reigning monarch
- a family of similar musical instrument playing together [syn: choir] v
- keep company with; hang out with; "He associates with strange people"; "She affiliates with her colleagues" [syn: associate, affiliate, assort]
- go together; "The colors don't harmonize"; "Their ideas concorded" [syn: harmonize, harmonise, accord, concord, fit in, agree]
- keep company; "the heifers run with the bulls ot produce offspring" [syn: run]
- Consort \Con*sort"\, v. t.
- To unite or join, as in affection, harmony, company, marriage, etc.; to associate. He with his consorted Eve. --Milton. For all that pleasing is to living ears Was there consorted in one harmony. --Spenser. He begins to consort himself with men. --Locke.
- To attend; to accompany. [Obs.] Thou, wretched boy, that didst consort him here, Shalt with him hence. --Shak.
- Consort \Con"sort\ (k[o^]n"s[^o]rt), n. [L. consore, -sortis;
con- + sors lot, fate, share. See Sort.]
- One who shares the lot of another; a companion; a partner; especially, a wife or husband. --Milton. He single chose to live, and shunned to wed, Well pleased to want a consort of his bed. --Dryden. The consort of the queen has passed from this troubled sphere. --Thakeray. The snow-white gander, invariably accompanied by his darker consort. --Darwin.
- (Naut.) A ship keeping company with another.
- Concurrence; conjunction; combination; association; union. ``By Heaven's consort.'' --Fuller. ``Working in consort.'' --Hare. Take it singly, and it carries an air of levity; but, in consort with the rest, has a meaning quite different. --Atterbury.
- [LL. consortium.] An assembly or association of persons; a
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Consort'
- Consort: A consort is a spouse or companion, often of royalty or a deity, sometimes slightly inferior in function/status. Royal consorts are ...
- CONSORT Colleges: CONSORT Colleges is a term used to refer to the consortium of four academic libraries in Ohio: Denison University , Kenyon College , Ohio ...
- Queen consort: A queen consort is the wife of a reigning king . A queen consort usually shares her husband's rank and holds the feminine equivalent of ...
- Prince consort: A prince consort is the husband of a queen regnant who is not himself a king in his own right. prince consort in each of the realms of ...
- Albert, Prince Consort: At first, Albert felt constrained by his position as consort , which did not confer any power or duties upon him. Over time he adopted ...
- Consort of instruments: A consort of instruments was a phrase used in England during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries to indicate an instrumental ensemble ...
- Princess consort: A princess consort is the female equivalent to a prince consort . It is a title or more informal designation normally given to a princess ...
- List of British consorts: A royal consort is the spouse of a ruling King or Queen . Consorts of monarchs in the United Kingdom and its predecessors have no ...
- King consort: King consort is a position given in some monarchies to the husband of a queen regnant . function of the holder being similar to a queen consort . ...
Words and phrases related to 'Consort'
Consort Sample Sentences in News
- A Royal Consort to present “1914: in Song and verse”
Concert salutes social issues surrounding the onset of First World War Read more on this news related to 'Consort'
- Locke: The Broken Consort, Part 1; Tripla Concordia – review
Wayward Sisters (Naxos) "Broken" consorts were popular in Restoration England, employing a variety of instruments rather than "unbroken" families of viols or woodwind. Their range of tonal colour allied to sprightly dance rhythms makes attractive listening, particularly when supplied by this highly accomplished US ensemble – but beware. M Read more on this news related to 'Consort'
- FE CONSORT INTL (00035) has risen 8.856%. The last price is HK$2.95
[Rising Stock] FE CONSORT INTL (00035)'s price went up 8.856% at 03:46p.m . Its last price ... Read more on this news related to 'Consort'