Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Consort'
Consort Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- the husband or wife of a reigning monarch
- a family of similar musical instrument playing together [syn: choir] v
- keep company with; hang out with; "He associates with strange people"; "She affiliates with her colleagues" [syn: associate, affiliate, assort]
- go together; "The colors don't harmonize"; "Their ideas concorded" [syn: harmonize, harmonise, accord, concord, fit in, agree]
- keep company; "the heifers run with the bulls ot produce offspring" [syn: run]
- Consort \Con*sort"\, v. t.
- To unite or join, as in affection, harmony, company, marriage, etc.; to associate. He with his consorted Eve. --Milton. For all that pleasing is to living ears Was there consorted in one harmony. --Spenser. He begins to consort himself with men. --Locke.
- To attend; to accompany. [Obs.] Thou, wretched boy, that didst consort him here, Shalt with him hence. --Shak.
- Consort \Con"sort\ (k[o^]n"s[^o]rt), n. [L. consore, -sortis;
con- + sors lot, fate, share. See Sort.]
- One who shares the lot of another; a companion; a partner; especially, a wife or husband. --Milton. He single chose to live, and shunned to wed, Well pleased to want a consort of his bed. --Dryden. The consort of the queen has passed from this troubled sphere. --Thakeray. The snow-white gander, invariably accompanied by his darker consort. --Darwin.
- (Naut.) A ship keeping company with another.
- Concurrence; conjunction; combination; association; union. ``By Heaven's consort.'' --Fuller. ``Working in consort.'' --Hare. Take it singly, and it carries an air of levity; but, in consort with the rest, has a meaning quite different. --Atterbury.
- [LL. consortium.] An assembly or association of persons; a
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Consort'
- Consort: A consort is a spouse or companion, often of royalty or a deity, sometimes slightly inferior in function/status. Royal consorts are ...
- CONSORT Colleges: CONSORT Colleges is a term used to refer to the consortium of four academic libraries in Ohio: Denison University , Kenyon College , Ohio ...
- Queen consort: A queen consort is the wife of a reigning king . A queen consort usually shares her husband's rank and holds the feminine equivalent of ...
- Prince consort: A prince consort is the husband of a queen regnant who is not himself a king in his own right. prince consort in each of the realms of ...
- Albert, Prince Consort: At first, Albert felt constrained by his position as consort , which did not confer any power or duties upon him. Over time he adopted ...
- Consort of instruments: A consort of instruments was a phrase used in England during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries to indicate an instrumental ensemble ...
- Princess consort: A princess consort is the female equivalent to a prince consort . It is a title or more informal designation normally given to a princess ...
- List of British consorts: A royal consort is the spouse of a ruling King or Queen . Consorts of monarchs in the United Kingdom and its predecessors have no ...
- King consort: King consort is a position given in some monarchies to the husband of a queen regnant . function of the holder being similar to a queen consort . ...
Words and phrases related to 'Consort'