Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Connote'
- express or state indirectly [syn: imply]
- involve as a necessary condition of consequence; as in logic; "solving the problem is predicated on understanding it well" [syn: predicate]
- Connote \Con*note"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Connoted; p. pr. &
vb. n. Connoting.] [See Connotate, and Note.]
- To mark along with; to suggest or indicate as additional; to designate by implication; to include in the meaning; to imply. Good, in the general notion of it, connotes also a certain suitableness of it to some other thing. --South.
- (Logic) To imply as an attribute. The word ``white'' denotes all white things, as snow, paper, the foam of the sea, etc., and ipmlies, or as it was termed by the schoolmen, connotes, the attribute ``whiteness.'' --J. S. Mill.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Connote'
Connotation is a subjective cultural and/or emotional coloration in addition to the explicit or denotative meaning of any specific word or phrase in a language, i.e. emotional association with a word. A connotation is frequently described as negative or positive. (e.g., see below)
Within contemporary society, connotation branches into a mixture of different meanings. These could include the contrast of a word or phrase with its primary, literal meaning (known as a denotation), with what that word or phrase specifically denotes. The connotation essentially relates to how anything may be associated with a word or phrase, for example, an implied value judgment or feelings.
In logic and semantics, connotation is roughly synonymous with intension. Connotation is often contrasted with denotation, which is more or less synonymous with extension. Alternatively, the connotation of the word may be thought of as the set of all its possible referents (as opposed to merely the actual ones). A word's denotation is the collection of things it refers to; its connotation is what it implies about the things it is used to refer to. The denotation of dog is (something like) four-legged canine carnivore. So saying "you are a dog" would imply that you were ugly or aggressive rather than stating that you were canine.[See more about Connote at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Connote'
'Connote' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Connote'
Connote Sample Sentences in News
- Sam Leith's most hated online abbreviations
From LOL to NSFW, they connote one thing, which is 'I am a douchebag' Thanks to the on-the-hoof style of chat-rooms and the curtailed nature of the text message and tweet, online abbreviations are now an established part of written English. The question of which is the most irritating, however, is a matter of scholarly debate. Here, by way of opening the discussio Read more on this news related to 'Connote'
- Is Salman Khan's MENTAL jinxed?
For Salman Khan it indeed would be a moment of perplexing and amusement that his latest release MENTAL is hurtling from one controversy to another. Indeed, for Salman Khan it never has happened that his films in the shooting stage have been mired in controversies, had to face the situation where shoots have been postponed on one count or the other. Does it connote Read more on this news related to 'Connote'
- Zoo Tales: Mountain bogs home to unique eco-systems
Many visitors to the N.C. Zoo might walk right by the park’s Mountain Bog exhibit and never know it’s there — just like they might do in the wild. To a lot of people, bogs and wetlands connote wastelands — wet, unusable land areas that serve no purpose to people, plants or animals, but nothing could be farther from the truth. Bogs are areas of moist, soggy Read more on this news related to 'Connote'