Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Conjugate'
Conjugate Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- joined together especially in a pair or pairs [syn: conjugated, coupled]
- of a pinnate leaflet; having only one pair of leaflets
- formed by the union of two compounds; "a conjugated protein" [syn: conjugated]
- of an organic compound; containing two or more double bonds each separated from the other by a single bond [syn: conjugated] n : a mixture of two partially miscible liquids A and B produces two conjugate solutions: one of A in B and another of B in A [syn: conjugate solution] v
- unite chemically so that the product is easily broken down into the original compounds
- add inflections showing person, number, gender, tense, aspect, etc.; "conjugate the verb"
- undergo conjugation
- Conjugate \Con"ju*gate\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Conjugated; p.
pr. & vb. n. Conjugating.]
- To unite in marriage; to join. [Obs.] --Sir H. Wotton.
- (Gram.) To inflect (a verb), or give in order the forms which it assumed in its several voices, moods, tenses, numbers, and persons.
- Conjugate \Con"ju*gate\, v. i. (Biol.)
To unite in a kind of sexual union, as two or more cells or
individuals among the more simple plants and animals.
- Conjugate \Con`ju*gate\, n. [L. conjugatum a combining,
- A word agreeing in derivation with another word, and therefore generally resembling it in signification. We have learned, in logic, that conjugates are sometimes in name only, and not in deed. --Abp. Bramhall.
- (Chem.) A complex radical supposed to act the part of a single radical. [R.]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Conjugate'
- Complex conjugate: In mathematics , complex conjugates are a pair of complex number s, both having the same real part, but with imaginary parts of equal ...
- Conjugated system: In chemistry , a conjugated system is a system of connected p-orbital s with delocalized electrons in compounds with alternating single ...
- Conjugate transpose: In mathematics , the conjugate transpose, Hermitian transpose, Hermitian conjugate, or adjoint matrix of an m-by- n matrix A with complex ...
- Conjugate prior: distribution p(θ), the prior and posterior are then called conjugate distributions, and the prior is called a conjugate prior for the likelihood. ...
- Conjugate element (field theory): In mathematics , in particular field theory , the conjugate elements of an algebraic element α, over a field K, are the (other) roots of ...
- Conjugate variables: Conjugate variables are pair of variables mathematically defined in such a way that they become Fourier transform duals of one-another or ...
- Conjugate variables (thermodynamics): In thermodynamics , the internal energy of a system is expressed in terms of pairs of conjugate variables such as temperature/entropy or ...
Words and phrases related to 'Conjugate'