Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Confederate'
Confederate Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- of or having to do with the southern Confederacy during the Civil War; "Confederate soldiers"
- united in a confederacy or league [syn: allied, confederative] n
- a supporter of the Confederate States of America
- someone who assists in a plot [syn: collaborator, henchman, partner in crime]
- a person who joins with another in carrying out some plan (especially an unethical or illegal plan) [syn: accomplice] v
- form a group or unite; "The groups banded together" [syn: band together}]
- form a confederation with; of nations
- Confederate \Con*fed"er*ate\, v. t. [imp. & p. p.
Confederated; p. pr. & vb. n. Confederating.]
To unite in a league or confederacy; to ally.
With these the Piercies them confederate. --Daniel.
- Confederate \Con*fed"er*ate\, v. i.
To unite in a league; to join in a mutual contract or
covenant; to band together.
By words men . . . covenant and confederate. --South.
- Confederate \Con*fed"er*ate\, a. [L. confoederatus, p. p. of
confoederare to join by a league; con- + foederare to
establish by treaty or league, fr. foedus league, compact.
- United in a league; allied by treaty; engaged in a confederacy; banded together; allied. All the swords In Italy, and her confederate arms, Could not have made this peace. --Shak.
- (Amer. Hist.) Of or pertaining to the government of the
eleven Southern States of the United States which
(1860-1865) attempted to establish an independent nation
styled the Confederate States of America; as, the
Confederate congress; Confederate money.
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Confederate'
- Confederate States of America: The Confederate States of America (also called the Confederacy, the Confederate States, and the C.S.A.) was an unrecognized state set up ...
- Confederate States Army: The Confederate States Army (CS Army) was the army of the Confederate States of America during its brief existence from 1861 to 1865. ...
- Confederate States Navy: The Confederate States Navy (CSN) was the naval branch of the Confederate States armed forces established by an act of the Confederate ...
- Congress of the Confederate States: The Congress of the Confederate States was the legislative body of the Confederate States of America , existing during the American Civil ...
- Confederate Ireland: Confederate Ireland refers to the period of Irish self-government between the Rebellion of 1641 and the Cromwellian conquest of Ireland ...
- Confederate States of America dollar: The Confederate States of America dollar was first issued into circulation in April 1861, when the Confederacy was only two months old, ...
Words and phrases related to 'Confederate'