Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Confederate'
Confederate Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- of or having to do with the southern Confederacy during the Civil War; "Confederate soldiers"
- united in a confederacy or league [syn: allied, confederative] n
- a supporter of the Confederate States of America
- someone who assists in a plot [syn: collaborator, henchman, partner in crime]
- a person who joins with another in carrying out some plan (especially an unethical or illegal plan) [syn: accomplice] v
- form a group or unite; "The groups banded together" [syn: band together}]
- form a confederation with; of nations
- Confederate \Con*fed"er*ate\, v. t. [imp. & p. p.
Confederated; p. pr. & vb. n. Confederating.]
To unite in a league or confederacy; to ally.
With these the Piercies them confederate. --Daniel.
- Confederate \Con*fed"er*ate\, v. i.
To unite in a league; to join in a mutual contract or
covenant; to band together.
By words men . . . covenant and confederate. --South.
- Confederate \Con*fed"er*ate\, a. [L. confoederatus, p. p. of
confoederare to join by a league; con- + foederare to
establish by treaty or league, fr. foedus league, compact.
- United in a league; allied by treaty; engaged in a confederacy; banded together; allied. All the swords In Italy, and her confederate arms, Could not have made this peace. --Shak.
- (Amer. Hist.) Of or pertaining to the government of the
eleven Southern States of the United States which
(1860-1865) attempted to establish an independent nation
styled the Confederate States of America; as, the
Confederate congress; Confederate money.
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Confederate'
- Confederate States of America: The Confederate States of America (also called the Confederacy, the Confederate States, and the C.S.A.) was an unrecognized state set up ...
- Confederate States Army: The Confederate States Army (CS Army) was the army of the Confederate States of America during its brief existence from 1861 to 1865. ...
- Confederate States Navy: The Confederate States Navy (CSN) was the naval branch of the Confederate States armed forces established by an act of the Confederate ...
- Congress of the Confederate States: The Congress of the Confederate States was the legislative body of the Confederate States of America , existing during the American Civil ...
- Confederate Ireland: Confederate Ireland refers to the period of Irish self-government between the Rebellion of 1641 and the Cromwellian conquest of Ireland ...
- Confederate States of America dollar: The Confederate States of America dollar was first issued into circulation in April 1861, when the Confederacy was only two months old, ...
Words and phrases related to 'Confederate'
Confederate Sample Sentences in News
- Looking back at the Confederate Constitution
On March 11, 1861, delegates from the newly formed Confederate States of America agreed on their own constitution. And much of it mirrored the Constitution of the United States as it existed at the time. Read more on this news related to 'Confederate'
- Confederate flag appears on Georgia car plates
A Confederate battle flag is in the background of specialty license plates for sale in Georgia. North Carolina, Alabama and Mississippi have a Confederate flag specialty license too. Read more on this news related to 'Confederate'
- Ga. Confederate License Plate Causes Furor
Designer doesn't know why folks are upset Read more on this news related to 'Confederate'