Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Conciliatory'
Conciliatory Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- making or willing to make concessions; "loneliness tore through him...whenever he thought of...even the compromising Louis du Tillet" [syn: compromising, flexible] [ant: uncompromising]
- overcoming animosity or hostility; "spoke in a conciliating tone"; "a conciliatory visit" [syn: conciliative] [ant: antagonistic]
- Conciliatory \Con*cil"i*a*to*ry\ (?; 106), a.
Tending to conciliate; pacific; mollifying; propitiating.
The only alternative, therefore, was to have recourse
to the conciliatory policy. --Prescott.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Conciliatory'
- Conciliatory Resolution: The Conciliatory Resolution was a resolution passed by the British Parliament in an attempt to reach a peaceful settlement with the Thirteen ...
Words and phrases related to 'Conciliatory'
Conciliatory Sample Sentences in News
- Putin strikes conciliatory note on Ukraine, signaling desire to de-escalate crisis
Russian President Vladimir Putin traveled to a much-hyped meeting in Crimea amid expectations of more saber-rattling over Ukraine, but he instead struck a conciliatory note and called for peace in a speech Thursday that received surprisingly brief coverage on Russian television. Read more on this news related to 'Conciliatory'
- US STOCKS-Wall St rises after Putin comments ease Ukraine worries
* Putin strikes conciliatory tone NEW YORK, Aug 14 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks rose modestly on Thursday after conciliatory comments from Russian President Vladimir Putin helped ease concerns about escalation in Ukraine and offset some uninspiring earnings reports. Putin said Russia would stand up for itself but not at the cost of confrontation with the outside world, Read more on this news related to 'Conciliatory'
- Putin sounds conciliatory note on visit to annexed Ukraine region
By Alexei Anishchuk YALTA Crimea (Reuters) - President Vladimir Putin said on Thursday Russia would stand up for itself but not at the cost of confrontation with the outside world, a conciliatory note after months of tough rhetoric over the crisis in Ukraine. Putin was speaking to Russian ministers and members of parliament in Crimea, the Ukrainian region annexed Read more on this news related to 'Conciliatory'