Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Computer'
- a machine for performing calculations automatically [syn: computing machine, computing device, data processor, electronic computer, information processing system]
- an expert at calculation (or at operating calculating machines) [syn: calculator, reckoner, figurer, estimator]
- Computer \Com*put"er\, n.
One who computes.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Computer'
A computer is a programmable machine that receives input, stores and automatically manipulates data, and provides output in a useful format.
Mechanical examples of computers have existed through much of recorded human history. The first electronic computers were developed in the mid-20th century (1940–1945). Originally, they were the size of a large room, consuming as much power as several hundred modern personal computers (PCs).
Modern computers based on integrated circuits are millions to billions of times more capable than the early machines, and occupy a fraction of the space. Simple computers are small enough to fit into mobile devices, and can be powered by a small battery. Personal computers in their various forms are icons of the Information Age and are what most people think of as "computers". However, the embedded computers found in many devices from MP3 players to fighter aircraft and from toys to industrial robots are the most numerous.[See more about Computer at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Computer'
'Computer' in famous quotation sentence
* There are many methods for predicting the future. For example, you can read horoscopes, tea leaves, tarot cards, or crystal balls. Collectively, these methods are known as 'nutty methods.' Or you can put well-researched facts into sophisticated computer models, more commonly referred to as a complete waste of time. - Scott Adams
* To err is human--and to blame it on a computer is even more so. - Robert Orben
Click here for more related quotations on 'Computer'
Computer Sample Sentences in News
- BYU vs. Virginia: Odds, betting lines, and computer predictions
Using data from Las Vegas and several computer predictors to get a hopefully-accurate preview for BYU's big game against Virginia. Let's look at how BYU is expected to fare against the Virginia Cavaliers. While we don't encourage gambling, referencing predictions from the people who make money on predictions can be interesting.) Read more on this news related to 'Computer'
- Chinese hackers penetrating key computer networks for Pentagon (+video)
A Senate investigation focused on the ‘sophisticated’ cyberincursions into the computer systems of contractors for US Transportation Command, which plays a crucial role in the military’s response to global crises. Read more on this news related to 'Computer'
- Chinese hackers penetrating key computer networks for Pentagon, report finds
The Senate investigation focused on the ‘sophisticated’ cyberincursions into the computer systems of contractors for US Transportation Command, which plays a crucial role in the military’s response to global crises. Read more on this news related to 'Computer'