Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Computer'
- a machine for performing calculations automatically [syn: computing machine, computing device, data processor, electronic computer, information processing system]
- an expert at calculation (or at operating calculating machines) [syn: calculator, reckoner, figurer, estimator]
- Computer \Com*put"er\, n.
One who computes.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Computer'
A computer is a programmable machine that receives input, stores and automatically manipulates data, and provides output in a useful format.
Mechanical examples of computers have existed through much of recorded human history. The first electronic computers were developed in the mid-20th century (1940–1945). Originally, they were the size of a large room, consuming as much power as several hundred modern personal computers (PCs).
Modern computers based on integrated circuits are millions to billions of times more capable than the early machines, and occupy a fraction of the space. Simple computers are small enough to fit into mobile devices, and can be powered by a small battery. Personal computers in their various forms are icons of the Information Age and are what most people think of as "computers". However, the embedded computers found in many devices from MP3 players to fighter aircraft and from toys to industrial robots are the most numerous.[See more about Computer at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Computer'
'Computer' in famous quotation sentence
* There are many methods for predicting the future. For example, you can read horoscopes, tea leaves, tarot cards, or crystal balls. Collectively, these methods are known as 'nutty methods.' Or you can put well-researched facts into sophisticated computer models, more commonly referred to as a complete waste of time. - Scott Adams
* To err is human--and to blame it on a computer is even more so. - Robert Orben
Click here for more related quotations on 'Computer'
Computer Sample Sentences in News
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
WASHINGTON (AP) — The head of the Senate Intelligence Committee accused the CIA Tuesday of criminal activity in improperly searching a computer network set up for lawmakers investigating allegations that the agency used torture in terror investigations during the Bush administration. Read more on this news related to 'Computer'
- The Raspberry Pi computer – how a bright British idea took flight
Cambridge scientists thought their £30 computer might find 1,000 customers. Two years on, they have shipped 2.5m units In the end, it took just over 10 months for Felix Baumgartner's skydiving record from 24 miles to be broken. With considerably less publicity, a small cuddly toy named Babbage fell from a height slightly above the Austrian's achievement a Read more on this news related to 'Computer'
- Computer science enrollments rocketed last year, up 22%
A sneak peek at the annual Computing Research Association's (CRA) report on computer science enrollments at colleges shows that strong demand for technically-savvy workers is luring students in a big way. Read more on this news related to 'Computer'