Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Computation'
- the procedure of calculating; determining something by mathematical or logical methods [syn: calculation, computing]
- problem solving that involves numbers or quantities [syn: calculation, figuring, reckoning]
- Computation \Com`pu*ta"tion\, n. [L. computatio: cf. F.
- The act or process of computing; calculation; reckoning. By just computation of the time. --Shak. By a computation backward from ourselves. --Bacon.
- The result of computation; the amount computed. Syn: Reckoning; calculation; estimate; account.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Computation'
Computation is a general term for any type of process, algorithm or measurement; this often includes but is not limited to digital data. This includes phenomena ranging from human thinking to calculations with a more narrow meaning. Computation is a process following a well-defined model that is understood and can be expressed in an algorithm, protocol, network topology, etc. Computation is also a major subject matter of computer science: it investigates what can or cannot be done in a computational manner.
Computation can be classified by at least three orthogonal criteria: digital vs analog, sequential vs parallel vs concurrent, batch vs interactive.
In practice, digital computation is often used to simulate natural processes (for example, Evolutionary computation), including those that are more naturally described by analog models of computation (for example, Artificial neural network). In this situation, it is important to distinguish between the mechanism of computation and the simulated model.[See more about Computation at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Computation'
Computation Sample Sentences in News
- Parabon Launches Crowdsourcing Initiative to Tackle Alzheimer's Disease with Computing Capacity Donated By Concerned ...
Parabon Computation announced today the launch of the Compute Against Alzheimer’s Disease research initiative, which will accelerate investigations into the causes and risks of Alzheimer’s Disease through the application of large-scale computational capacity donated by concerned citizens and organizations. Read more on this news related to 'Computation'
- Faster computation of electromagnetic interference on an electronic circuit board
As electronic components on electronic circuit boards continue to shrink, problems of electromagnetic compatibility are arising. Such problems include unwanted 'noise' effects due to electromagnetic interference and susceptibility. "Electromagnetic interference is a critical problem for the electronics industry," explains Xian-Ke Gao from the A*S Read more on this news related to 'Computation'
- Algorithm ramps up genetic computation
'Sailfish' boosts RNA gene expression predictions The world has built DNA genomes for a long time, but applying what we know about genetics to everyday medicine is a tough ask.… Read more on this news related to 'Computation'