Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Computation'
- the procedure of calculating; determining something by mathematical or logical methods [syn: calculation, computing]
- problem solving that involves numbers or quantities [syn: calculation, figuring, reckoning]
- Computation \Com`pu*ta"tion\, n. [L. computatio: cf. F.
- The act or process of computing; calculation; reckoning. By just computation of the time. --Shak. By a computation backward from ourselves. --Bacon.
- The result of computation; the amount computed. Syn: Reckoning; calculation; estimate; account.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Computation'
Computation is a general term for any type of process, algorithm or measurement; this often includes but is not limited to digital data. This includes phenomena ranging from human thinking to calculations with a more narrow meaning. Computation is a process following a well-defined model that is understood and can be expressed in an algorithm, protocol, network topology, etc. Computation is also a major subject matter of computer science: it investigates what can or cannot be done in a computational manner.
Computation can be classified by at least three orthogonal criteria: digital vs analog, sequential vs parallel vs concurrent, batch vs interactive.
In practice, digital computation is often used to simulate natural processes (for example, Evolutionary computation), including those that are more naturally described by analog models of computation (for example, Artificial neural network). In this situation, it is important to distinguish between the mechanism of computation and the simulated model.[See more about Computation at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Computation'
Computation Sample Sentences in News
- LTFRB sets computation of rates for trucks at Port of Manila
MANILA, Philippines---The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) released on Tuesday the computation for rates of trucks-for-hire using the Port of Manila. LTFRB said in its advisory to the public that trucking rates would be unbundled to so-called base charges and port congestion-related charges. The base charges would be the last truc Read more on this news related to 'Computation'
- What It Takes to Win the World’s Highest Computer Science Honor
[HTML1] One summer afternoon in 2001, while visiting relatives in India, Subhash Khot drifted into his default mode — quietly contemplating the limits of computation. For hours, no one could tell whether the third-year Princeton University graduate student was working or merely sinking deeper into the living-room couch. That night, he woke up, scribbled somethin Read more on this news related to 'Computation'
- Could Cosmos be Microsoft's next commercial big-data service?
Microsoft may be planning to turn its internal-facing big-data storage and computation service into an externally-facing commercial cloud service. Read more on this news related to 'Computation'