Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Computation'
- the procedure of calculating; determining something by mathematical or logical methods [syn: calculation, computing]
- problem solving that involves numbers or quantities [syn: calculation, figuring, reckoning]
- Computation \Com`pu*ta"tion\, n. [L. computatio: cf. F.
- The act or process of computing; calculation; reckoning. By just computation of the time. --Shak. By a computation backward from ourselves. --Bacon.
- The result of computation; the amount computed. Syn: Reckoning; calculation; estimate; account.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Computation'
Computation is a general term for any type of process, algorithm or measurement; this often includes but is not limited to digital data. This includes phenomena ranging from human thinking to calculations with a more narrow meaning. Computation is a process following a well-defined model that is understood and can be expressed in an algorithm, protocol, network topology, etc. Computation is also a major subject matter of computer science: it investigates what can or cannot be done in a computational manner.
Computation can be classified by at least three orthogonal criteria: digital vs analog, sequential vs parallel vs concurrent, batch vs interactive.
In practice, digital computation is often used to simulate natural processes (for example, Evolutionary computation), including those that are more naturally described by analog models of computation (for example, Artificial neural network). In this situation, it is important to distinguish between the mechanism of computation and the simulated model.[See more about Computation at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Computation'
Computation Sample Sentences in News
- Could Cosmos be Microsoft's next commercial big-data service?
Microsoft may be planning to turn its internal-facing big-data storage and computation service into an externally-facing commercial cloud service. Read more on this news related to 'Computation'
- On The Way To An IPO, Nutanix Raises A Massive $140M
It was only a few months ago that Nutanix, a five-year old converged infrastructure provider, raised over $100M in funding and today they’re at it again with the announcement of $140M in Series E funding. The round is based on a whopping $2B+ valuation and speaks to the massive opportunity that exists in converging computation and storage. It also comes in the s Read more on this news related to 'Computation'
- Computation and collaboration lead to significant advance in malaria
( Baylor College of Medicine ) Researchers led by Baylor College of Medicine have developed a new computational method to study the function of disease-causing genes, starting with an important new discovery about a gene associated with malaria -- one of the biggest global health burdens. Read more on this news related to 'Computation'