Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Community'
- a group of people living in a particular local area; "the team is drawn from all parts of the community"
- a group of people having ethnic or cultural or religious characteristics in common; "the Christian community of the apostolic age"; "he was well known throughout the Catholic community"
- common ownership; "they shared a community of possessions"
- a group of nations having common interests; "they hoped to join the NATO community"
- the body of people in a learned occupation; "the news spread rapidly through the medical community" [syn: profession]
- agreement as to goals; "the preachers and the bootleggers found they had a community of interests" [syn: community of interests}]
- a district where people live; occupied primarily by private residences [syn: residential district, residential area]
- (ecology) a group of interdependent organisms inhabiting the same region and interacting with each other [syn: biotic community}]
- Community \Com*mu"ni*ty\, n.; pl. Communities. [L. communitas:
cf. OF. communit['e]. Cf. Commonalty, and see Common.]
- Common possession or enjoyment; participation; as, a community of goods. The original community of all things. --Locke. An unreserved community of thought and feeling. --W. Irving.
- A body of people having common rights, privileges, or interests, or living in the same place under the same laws and regulations; as, a community of monks. Hence a number of animals living in a common home or with some apparent association of interests. Creatures that in communities exist. --Wordsworth.
- Society at large; a commonwealth or state; a body politic; the public, or people in general. Burdens upon the poorer classes of the community. --Hallam. Note: In this sense, the term should be used with the definite article; as, the interests of the community.
- Common character; likeness. [R.] The essential community of nature between organic growth and inorganic growth. --H. Spencer.
- Commonness; frequency. [Obs.] Eyes . . . sick and blunted with community. --Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Community'
In biological terms, a community is a group of interacting organisms sharing a populated environment. In human communities, intent, belief, resources, preferences, needs, risks, and a number of other conditions may be present and common, affecting the identity of the participants and their degree of cohesiveness.
In sociology, the concept of community has led to significant debate, and sociologists are yet to reach agreement on a definition of the term. There were ninety-four discrete definitions of the term by the mid-1950s. Traditionally a "community" has been defined as a group of interacting people living in a common location. The word is often used to refer to a group that is organized around common values and is attributed with social cohesion within a shared geographical location, generally in social units larger than a household. The word can also refer to the national community or international community.[See more about Community at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Community'
'Community' in famous quotation sentence
* The best political community is formed by citizens of the middle class. - Aristotle
* In no sense do I advocate evading or defying the law ... That would lead to anarchy. An individual who breaks a law that his conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for law. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
Click here for more related quotations on 'Community'
Community Sample Sentences in News
- Community Bank of Bergen County, NJ Celebrates 85 Years
Eighty-five years ago, Community Bank of Bergen County, NJ opened its doors to customers in a small storefront in Rochelle Park. The bank was established by a group of local businessmen to provide personalized financial solutions to the consumers and businesses of Bergen County. Read more on this news related to 'Community'
- Community Financial to donate $30,000 to local charities with the help of their community members
PLYMOUTH, Mich., Dec. 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Community Financial Credit Union is announcing the return of their special Warming Hearts & Homes charitable program for the 2013 holiday season. Throughout December, Community Financial is donating up to $30,000 to local nonprofit organizations instrumental in providing heat, food and clothing for families in their c Read more on this news related to 'Community'
- Community Bank System, Inc. Expands Benefits Administration Business
Community Bank System, Inc. , through its subsidiary Benefit Plans Administrative Services, Inc. , has reached an agreement to acquire from EBS-RMSCO, Inc., a subsi Read more on this news related to 'Community'