Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Communication'
- the activity of communicating; the activity of conveying information; "they could not act without official communication from Moscow" [syn: communicating]
- something that is communicated by or to or between people or groups
- a connection allowing access between persons or places; "how many lines of communication can there be among four people?"; "a secret passageway provided communication between the two rooms"
- Communication \Com*mu`ni*ca"tion\, n. [L. communicatio.]
- The act or fact of communicating; as, communication of smallpox; communication of a secret.
- Intercourse by words, letters, or messages; interchange of thoughts or opinions, by conference or other means; conference; correspondence. Argument . . . and friendly communication. --Shak.
- Association; company. Evil communications corrupt good manners. --1 Cor. xv. 33.
- Means of communicating; means of passing from place to place; a connecting passage; connection. The Euxine Sea is conveniently situated for trade, by the communication it has both with Asia and Europe. --Arbuthnot.
- That which is communicated or imparted; intelligence; news; a verbal or written message.
- Participation in the Lord's supper. --Bp. Pearson.
- (Rhet.) A trope, by which a speaker assumes that his hearer is a partner in his sentiments, and says we, instead of I or you. --Beattie. Syn: Correspondence; conference; intercourse.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Communication'
[[File: Communication is a process whereby meaning is defined and shared between living organisms. Communication requires a sender, a message, and an intended recipient, although the receiver need not be present or aware of the sender's intent to communicate at the time of communication; thus communication can occur across vast distances in time and space. Communication requires that the communicating parties share an area of communicative commonality. The communication process is complete once the receiver has understood the sender.
Human spoken and picture languages can be described as a system of symbols (sometimes known as lexemes) and the grammars (rules) by which the symbols are manipulated. The word "language" also refers to common properties of languages. Language learning normally occurs most intensively during human childhood. Most of the thousands of human languages use patterns of sound or gesture for symbols which enable communication with others around them. Languages seem to share certain properties, although many of these include exceptions. There is no defined line between a language and a dialect. Constructed languages such as Esperanto, programming languages, and various mathematical formalisms are not necessarily restricted to the properties shared by human languages.[See more about Communication at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Communication'
'Communication' in famous quotation sentence
* Every improvement in communication makes the bore more terrible. - Frank Moore Colby
* The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn't being said. - Peter Drucker
Click here for more related quotations on 'Communication'
Communication Sample Sentences in News
- Communication Officer
IDEO Project Background: The Intergenerational Deaf Education Outreach Project is being implemented by World Concern Development Organization in cooperation with the Ministry of Education and Training (MOET) in the four provinces of Hanoi, Thai Nguyen, Quang Binh and Ho Chi Minh City. The overall objective of the project is to assist young deaf children to integra Read more on this news related to 'Communication'
- Fantasia Communication Group Changes Name, Becomes iFantasia Marketing Company
BEIJING, March 7, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Fantasia Communication Group, a leading Integrated Marketing Communications firm in China, has announced that it has changed its name to iFantasia Marketing Company ("iFantasia" or "the company"). This change reflects the company's new focus on integrating the most effective international business, mar Read more on this news related to 'Communication'
- Research and Markets: Global Energy Crisis Communication & Media Management Summit 2014
Research and Markets has announced the addition of the "Global Energy Crisis Communication & Media Management Read more on this news related to 'Communication'