Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Communication'
- the activity of communicating; the activity of conveying information; "they could not act without official communication from Moscow" [syn: communicating]
- something that is communicated by or to or between people or groups
- a connection allowing access between persons or places; "how many lines of communication can there be among four people?"; "a secret passageway provided communication between the two rooms"
- Communication \Com*mu`ni*ca"tion\, n. [L. communicatio.]
- The act or fact of communicating; as, communication of smallpox; communication of a secret.
- Intercourse by words, letters, or messages; interchange of thoughts or opinions, by conference or other means; conference; correspondence. Argument . . . and friendly communication. --Shak.
- Association; company. Evil communications corrupt good manners. --1 Cor. xv. 33.
- Means of communicating; means of passing from place to place; a connecting passage; connection. The Euxine Sea is conveniently situated for trade, by the communication it has both with Asia and Europe. --Arbuthnot.
- That which is communicated or imparted; intelligence; news; a verbal or written message.
- Participation in the Lord's supper. --Bp. Pearson.
- (Rhet.) A trope, by which a speaker assumes that his hearer is a partner in his sentiments, and says we, instead of I or you. --Beattie. Syn: Correspondence; conference; intercourse.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Communication'
[[File: Communication is a process whereby meaning is defined and shared between living organisms. Communication requires a sender, a message, and an intended recipient, although the receiver need not be present or aware of the sender's intent to communicate at the time of communication; thus communication can occur across vast distances in time and space. Communication requires that the communicating parties share an area of communicative commonality. The communication process is complete once the receiver has understood the sender.
Human spoken and picture languages can be described as a system of symbols (sometimes known as lexemes) and the grammars (rules) by which the symbols are manipulated. The word "language" also refers to common properties of languages. Language learning normally occurs most intensively during human childhood. Most of the thousands of human languages use patterns of sound or gesture for symbols which enable communication with others around them. Languages seem to share certain properties, although many of these include exceptions. There is no defined line between a language and a dialect. Constructed languages such as Esperanto, programming languages, and various mathematical formalisms are not necessarily restricted to the properties shared by human languages.[See more about Communication at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Communication'
'Communication' in famous quotation sentence
* Every improvement in communication makes the bore more terrible. - Frank Moore Colby
* The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn't being said. - Peter Drucker
Click here for more related quotations on 'Communication'
Communication Sample Sentences in News
- Secure Mobile Communication Market in Healthcare Industry
This Frost & Sullivan market insight presents an overview of the secure mobile communication solutions used in the United States healthcare facilities. It highlights the key success factors for secure mobile communication solution providers, and provides strategic recommendations for hospitals that want to implement a secure mobile communication solution. This Fro Read more on this news related to 'Communication'
- Ground Properties Announces the Acquisition of Shanghai Motion JUNS Communication Technology Company Limited
Besides, JUNS Communication holds 55% of the total issued share capital of Shanghai Xinhua Motion Communication Technology Company Limited("Shanghai Xinhua Motion"). Upon completion of the acquisition, members of the JUNS Communication and Shanghai Xinhua Motion will become subsidiaries of the Group and their financial results will be consolidated into t Read more on this news related to 'Communication'
- Communication about female condom vital to young adults, researchers say
Communication researchers examine sexual health messages aimed at young college adults about the female condom. The first female condom was introduced in the U.S. in 1993, but drew little interest due to several reasons including mixed or negative portrayals in the media. The Food and Drug Administration approved the second version of the female condom in 2009. Read more on this news related to 'Communication'