Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Communicate'
- transmit information ; "Please communicate this message to all employees" [syn: pass on, pass, put across]
- transmit thoughts or feelings; "He communicated his anxieties to the psychiatrist" [syn: intercommunicate]
- transfer to another; "communicate a disease" [syn: convey, transmit]
- join or connect; "The rooms communicated"
- be in verbal contact; interchange information or ideas; "He and his sons haven't communicated for years"; "Do you communicate well with your advisor?"
- administer communion; in church [ant: excommunicate]
- receive Communion, in the Catholic church [syn: commune]
- Communicate \Com*mu"ni*cate\, v. t. [imp. & p. p.
Communicated; p. pr. & vb. n. Communicating.] [L.
communicatus, p. p. of communicare to communicate, fr.
communis common. See Commune, v. i.]
- To share in common; to participate in. [Obs.] To thousands that communicate our loss. --B. Jonson
- To impart; to bestow; to convey; as, to communicate a disease or a sensation; to communicate motion by means of a crank. Where God is worshiped, there he communicates his blessings and holy influences. --Jer. Taylor.
- To make known; to recount; to give; to impart; as, to communicate information to any one.
- To administer the communion to. [R.] She [the church] . . . may communicate him. --Jer. Taylor. Note: This verb was formerly followed by with before the person receiving, but now usually takes to after it. He communicated those thoughts only with the Lord Digby. --Clarendon. Syn: To impart; bestow; confer; reveal; disclose; tell; announce; recount; make known. Usage: To Communicate, Impart, Reveal. Communicate is the more general term, and denotes the allowing of others to partake or enjoy in common with ourselves. Impart is more specific. It is giving to others a part of what we had held as our own, or making them our
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Communicate'
[[File: Communication is a process whereby meaning is defined and shared between living organisms. Communication requires a sender, a message, and an intended recipient, although the receiver need not be present or aware of the sender's intent to communicate at the time of communication; thus communication can occur across vast distances in time and space. Communication requires that the communicating parties share an area of communicative commonality. The communication process is complete once the receiver has understood the sender.
Human spoken and picture languages can be described as a system of symbols (sometimes known as lexemes) and the grammars (rules) by which the symbols are manipulated. The word "language" also refers to common properties of languages. Language learning normally occurs most intensively during human childhood. Most of the thousands of human languages use patterns of sound or gesture for symbols which enable communication with others around them. Languages seem to share certain properties, although many of these include exceptions. There is no defined line between a language and a dialect. Constructed languages such as Esperanto, programming languages, and various mathematical formalisms are not necessarily restricted to the properties shared by human languages.[See more about Communicate at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Communicate'
'Communicate' in famous quotation sentence
* Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people. - William Butler Yeats
* A writer writes not because he is educated but because he is driven by the need to communicate. Behind the need to communicate is the need to share. Behind the need to share is the need to be understood. The writer wants to be understood much more than he wants to be respected or praised or even loved. And that perhaps, is what makes him different from others. - Leo C. Rosten
Click here for more related quotations on 'Communicate'
Communicate Sample Sentences in News
- More Ways to Communicate in iOS 8
Messages in iOS 8 now has new things you can add to the conversation when chatting with friends. Read more on this news related to 'Communicate'
- How To Communicate Change: 3 Lessons From Microsoft's Recent Layoff
Companies can learn how to communicate sensitive changes from the way Microsoft handled this situation. Read more on this news related to 'Communicate'
- Meet Rosie Cepero, the New Star Who Can Communicate with Guardian Angels - Anywhere
The upstate New York wife and mother stars in a new show about her ability to relay messages from beyond Read more on this news related to 'Communicate'