Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Communicate'
- transmit information ; "Please communicate this message to all employees" [syn: pass on, pass, put across]
- transmit thoughts or feelings; "He communicated his anxieties to the psychiatrist" [syn: intercommunicate]
- transfer to another; "communicate a disease" [syn: convey, transmit]
- join or connect; "The rooms communicated"
- be in verbal contact; interchange information or ideas; "He and his sons haven't communicated for years"; "Do you communicate well with your advisor?"
- administer communion; in church [ant: excommunicate]
- receive Communion, in the Catholic church [syn: commune]
- Communicate \Com*mu"ni*cate\, v. t. [imp. & p. p.
Communicated; p. pr. & vb. n. Communicating.] [L.
communicatus, p. p. of communicare to communicate, fr.
communis common. See Commune, v. i.]
- To share in common; to participate in. [Obs.] To thousands that communicate our loss. --B. Jonson
- To impart; to bestow; to convey; as, to communicate a disease or a sensation; to communicate motion by means of a crank. Where God is worshiped, there he communicates his blessings and holy influences. --Jer. Taylor.
- To make known; to recount; to give; to impart; as, to communicate information to any one.
- To administer the communion to. [R.] She [the church] . . . may communicate him. --Jer. Taylor. Note: This verb was formerly followed by with before the person receiving, but now usually takes to after it. He communicated those thoughts only with the Lord Digby. --Clarendon. Syn: To impart; bestow; confer; reveal; disclose; tell; announce; recount; make known. Usage: To Communicate, Impart, Reveal. Communicate is the more general term, and denotes the allowing of others to partake or enjoy in common with ourselves. Impart is more specific. It is giving to others a part of what we had held as our own, or making them our
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Communicate'
[[File: Communication is a process whereby meaning is defined and shared between living organisms. Communication requires a sender, a message, and an intended recipient, although the receiver need not be present or aware of the sender's intent to communicate at the time of communication; thus communication can occur across vast distances in time and space. Communication requires that the communicating parties share an area of communicative commonality. The communication process is complete once the receiver has understood the sender.
Human spoken and picture languages can be described as a system of symbols (sometimes known as lexemes) and the grammars (rules) by which the symbols are manipulated. The word "language" also refers to common properties of languages. Language learning normally occurs most intensively during human childhood. Most of the thousands of human languages use patterns of sound or gesture for symbols which enable communication with others around them. Languages seem to share certain properties, although many of these include exceptions. There is no defined line between a language and a dialect. Constructed languages such as Esperanto, programming languages, and various mathematical formalisms are not necessarily restricted to the properties shared by human languages.[See more about Communicate at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Communicate'
'Communicate' in famous quotation sentence
* Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people. - William Butler Yeats
* A writer writes not because he is educated but because he is driven by the need to communicate. Behind the need to communicate is the need to share. Behind the need to share is the need to be understood. The writer wants to be understood much more than he wants to be respected or praised or even loved. And that perhaps, is what makes him different from others. - Leo C. Rosten
Click here for more related quotations on 'Communicate'
Communicate Sample Sentences in News
- Apps May Help Children Affected by Severe, Non-Verbal Autism to Communicate
Stephen and Diane Beaudoin have tried for years to fully communicate with their son, David, 11, who is diagnosed with severe, non-verbal autism. They credit SPEAK all!, an iPad app Read more on this news related to 'Communicate'
- Some Judges communicate with NPP in court in sign language - NDC
The National Organizer for the NDC, Yaw Boateng Gyan, has warned members in the NPP to stop accusing Justice William Atuguba and other judges enrolled to rule over the petition they have presented to the Supreme Court of bias; else prepare to be buried in the hole they have started digging. Read more on this news related to 'Communicate'
- Health care providers trained to communicate more effectively about childhood obesity
Area health care professionals attended a training session Tuesday to help them communicate with children and parents about childhood obesity. Read more on this news related to 'Communicate'