Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Comedian'
- a professional performer who tells jokes and performs comical acts [syn: comic]
- an actor in a comedy
- Comedian \Co*me"di*an\, n. [Cf. F. com['e]dien.]
- An actor or player in comedy. ``The famous comedian, Roscius.'' --Middleton.
- A writer of comedy. --Milton.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Comedian'
A comedian (sometimes comedienne, see below) or comic is a person who seeks to entertain an audience, primarily by making them laugh. This might be through jokes or amusing situations, or acting a fool, as in slapstick, or employing prop comedy. A comedian who addresses an audience directly is called a stand-up comic.
A comedian can be distinguished from a clown because clowns most often use slapstick, wear costumes and makeup, and engage in buffoonery, whereas comedians most often focus on a more verbal style of humor, telling jokes.
A popular saying, variously quoted but generally attributed to Ed Wynn, is, "A comic says funny things; a comedian says things funny," which draws a distinction between how much of the comedy can be attributed to verbal content and how much to acting and persona.[See more about Comedian at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Comedian'
'Comedian' in famous quotation sentence
* I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately. - George Carlin
Click here for more related quotations on 'Comedian'
Comedian Sample Sentences in News
- Comedian Hari Kondabolu finds humor and substance in talking about race
Watch Video | Listen to the Audio RELATED LINKS Comedian John Oliver makes fun of serious news Stand-Up Comedian Baratunde Thurston on ‘How To Be Black’ Comedy legend Sid Caesar dies at 91 JUDY WOODRUFF: Finally tonight: an increasingly successful comedian who talks about race and ethnicity, as the country’s demographic picture continues to change substantia Read more on this news related to 'Comedian'
- Gabriel Iglesias in 'The Fluffy Movie,' good fun, standard film
If you've never heard of stand-up comedian Gabriel Iglesias, it seems you're part of a vanishing breed. The roly-poly performer, self-nicknamed Fluffy, has toured in more than 400 cities around the globe, sold more than half a million concert tickets worldwide and boasts 6 million-plus Facebook... Read more on this news related to 'Comedian'
- Comedian Jim Gaffigan sitcom finally finds a home on TV Land
After years of being worked on at CBS, comedian Jim Gaffigan is finally going to get to make his sitcom. The show will air on TV Land, which has given the project a series order. read more Read more on this news related to 'Comedian'