Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Collation'
- a light informal meal [syn: bite, snack]
- assembling in proper numerical or logical sequence
- careful examination and comparison to note points of disagreement
- Collation \Col*la"tion\, n. [OE. collacioun speech, conference,
reflection, OF. collacion, F. collation, fr. L. collatio a
bringing together, comparing, fr. collatum (used as the
supine of conferre); col- + latium (used as the supine of
ferre to bear), for tlatum. See Tolerate, v. t.]
- The act of collating or comparing; a comparison of one copy er thing (as of a book, or manuscript) with another of a like kind; comparison, in general. --Pope.
- (Print.) The gathering and examination of sheets preparatory to binding.
- The act of conferring or bestowing. [Obs.] Not by the collation of the king . . . but by the people. --Bacon.
- A conference. [Obs.] --Chaucer.
- (Eccl. Law) The presentation of a clergyman to a benefice by a bishop, who has it in his own gift.
- (Law) (a) The act of comparing the copy of any paper with its original to ascertain its conformity. (b) The report of the act made by the proper officers.
- (Scots Law) The right which an heir has of throwing the whole heritable and movable estates of the deceased into one mass, and sharing it equally with others who are of the same degree of kindred. Note: This also obtains in the civil law, and is found in the code of Louisiana. --Bouvier.
- (Eccles.) A collection of the Lives of the Fathers or other devout work read daily in monasteries.
- A light repast or luncheon; as, a cold collation; -- first applied to the refreshment on fast days that accompanied the reading of the collation in monasteries. A collation of wine and sweetmeats. --Whiston. Collation of seals (Old Law), a method of ascertaining the genuineness of a seal by comparing it with another known to be genuine. --Bouvier.
- Collation \Col*la"tion\, v. i.
To partake of a collation. [Obs.]
May 20, 1658, I . . . collationed in Spring Garden.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Collation'
Collation is the assembly of written information into a standard order. One common type of collation is called alphabetisation, though collation is not limited to ordering letters of the alphabet. Collating lists of words or names into alphabetical order is the basis of most office filing systems, library catalogs and reference books.
Collation differs from classification in that classification is concerned with arranging information into logical categories, while collation is concerned with the ordering of those categories.
Advantages of sorted lists include:
A collation algorithm, e.g. the "Unicode collation algorithm", differs from a sorting algorithm: the first is a process to define the order, which corresponds to the process of just comparing two values, while a sorting algorithm is a procedure to put a list of items in this order.[See more about Collation at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Collation'
Collation Sample Sentences in News
- SWOT Analysis Of APC, PDP And Their Leading Presidential Hopefuls
By Dr. Ena E. Orugbo Elections are lost and won far away from voting and collation centers. Elections are lost and won on the Strengths, Weakness, Opportunities and Threats (SWOT) of the major actors and their respective vehicles…Ena E. Orugbo read more Read more on this news related to 'Collation'