Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Collateral'
Collateral Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- descended from a common ancestor but through different lines; "cousins are collateral relatives"; "an indirect descendant of the Stuarts" [syn: indirect] [ant: lineal]
- serving to support or corroborate; "collateral evidence" [syn: confirmative, confirming, confirmatory, corroborative, corroboratory, substantiating, substantiative, validating, validatory, verificatory, verifying]
- accompaniment to something else; "collateral target damage from a bombing run"
- situated or running side by side; "collateral ridges of mountains" n : a security pledged for the repayment of a loan
- Collateral \Col*lat"er*al\, a. [LL. collateralis; col- +
lateralis lateral. See Lateral.]
- Coming from, being on, or directed toward, the side; as, collateral pressure. ``Collateral light.'' --Shak.
- Acting in an indirect way. If by direct or by collateral hand They find us touched, we will our kingdom give . . . To you in satisfaction. --Shak.
- Related to, but not strictly a part of, the main thing or matter under consideration; hence, subordinate; not chief or principal; as, collateral interest; collateral issues. That he [Attebury] was altogether in the wrong on the main question, and on all the collateral questions springing out of it, . . . is true. --Macaulay.
- Tending toward the same conclusion or result as something else; additional; as, collateral evidence. Yet the attempt may give Collateral interest to this homely tale. --Wordsworth.
- (Genealogy) Descending from the same stock or ancestor,
but not in the same line or branch or one from the other;
-- opposed to lineal.
Note: Lineal descendants proceed one from another in a direct
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Collateral'
- Collateral: Collateral may refer to: Collateral (finance) Collateral (film) See also : Collateral damage Collateral contract Collateral ganglia ...
- Collateral (finance): In lending agreements , collateral is a borrower's pledge of specific property to a lender , to secure repayment of a loan The ...
- Collateral (film): Collateral is a 2004 crime thriller film starring Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx . It was directed by Michael Mann and written by Stuart ...
- Collateral damage: Collateral damage is damage that is unintended or incidental to the intended outcome. The term originated in the United States military , ...
- Collateral contract: A collateral contract is a contract where the consideration is the entry into another contract, and co-exists side by side with the main ...
- Medial collateral ligament: The medial collateral ligament of the knee is one of the four major ligament s of the knee. It is on the medial (inner) side of the knee ...
- Collateral ligament: Collateral ligament can refer to: Fibular collateral ligament Lateral collateral ligament Medial collateral ligament Collateral ligaments ...
- Ulnar collateral ligament: Ulnar collateral ligament can refer to: Ulnar collateral ligament (elbow) Ulnar collateral ligament (wrist) Ulnar collateral ligament (thumb) ...
- Collateral estoppel: Collateral estoppel (CE), known in modern terminology as issue preclusion, is a common law estoppel doctrine that prevents a person from ...
Words and phrases related to 'Collateral'
Collateral Sample Sentences in News
- Bank of Italy scrutinises banks' property valuations
* Property asset valuations key source of uncertainty in ECB review * JPMorgan analysts apply 70 pct haircut on Italian banks' collateral MILAN, March 7 (Reuters) - The Bank of Italy is hiring up to five real estate consultants to assess whether banks are correctly valuing property used as loan collateral amid depressed market prices, potentially forcing them Read more on this news related to 'Collateral'
- Collateral security, a sore point
Banks’ demand for collateral for loans from small businesses is a prevalent sore point among SMEs. This was underlined when the audience applauded in response to Muhammed Kunju, CEO Crust ‘n’ Crum... Read more on this news related to 'Collateral'
- Spireon's Automotive Collateral Management Platform Recognized as "Top 20 Most Promising Automotive Tech Solution ...
Spireon, the leading M2M provider of mobile resource management and business intelligence solutions, announced today that its automotive solutions segment was selected by CIO Review as one of the Top 20 ... Read more on this news related to 'Collateral'