Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Collateral'
Collateral Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- descended from a common ancestor but through different lines; "cousins are collateral relatives"; "an indirect descendant of the Stuarts" [syn: indirect] [ant: lineal]
- serving to support or corroborate; "collateral evidence" [syn: confirmative, confirming, confirmatory, corroborative, corroboratory, substantiating, substantiative, validating, validatory, verificatory, verifying]
- accompaniment to something else; "collateral target damage from a bombing run"
- situated or running side by side; "collateral ridges of mountains" n : a security pledged for the repayment of a loan
- Collateral \Col*lat"er*al\, a. [LL. collateralis; col- +
lateralis lateral. See Lateral.]
- Coming from, being on, or directed toward, the side; as, collateral pressure. ``Collateral light.'' --Shak.
- Acting in an indirect way. If by direct or by collateral hand They find us touched, we will our kingdom give . . . To you in satisfaction. --Shak.
- Related to, but not strictly a part of, the main thing or matter under consideration; hence, subordinate; not chief or principal; as, collateral interest; collateral issues. That he [Attebury] was altogether in the wrong on the main question, and on all the collateral questions springing out of it, . . . is true. --Macaulay.
- Tending toward the same conclusion or result as something else; additional; as, collateral evidence. Yet the attempt may give Collateral interest to this homely tale. --Wordsworth.
- (Genealogy) Descending from the same stock or ancestor,
but not in the same line or branch or one from the other;
-- opposed to lineal.
Note: Lineal descendants proceed one from another in a direct
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Collateral'
- Collateral: Collateral may refer to: Collateral (finance) Collateral (film) See also : Collateral damage Collateral contract Collateral ganglia ...
- Collateral (finance): In lending agreements , collateral is a borrower's pledge of specific property to a lender , to secure repayment of a loan The ...
- Collateral (film): Collateral is a 2004 crime thriller film starring Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx . It was directed by Michael Mann and written by Stuart ...
- Collateral damage: Collateral damage is damage that is unintended or incidental to the intended outcome. The term originated in the United States military , ...
- Collateral contract: A collateral contract is a contract where the consideration is the entry into another contract, and co-exists side by side with the main ...
- Medial collateral ligament: The medial collateral ligament of the knee is one of the four major ligament s of the knee. It is on the medial (inner) side of the knee ...
- Collateral ligament: Collateral ligament can refer to: Fibular collateral ligament Lateral collateral ligament Medial collateral ligament Collateral ligaments ...
- Ulnar collateral ligament: Ulnar collateral ligament can refer to: Ulnar collateral ligament (elbow) Ulnar collateral ligament (wrist) Ulnar collateral ligament (thumb) ...
- Collateral estoppel: Collateral estoppel (CE), known in modern terminology as issue preclusion, is a common law estoppel doctrine that prevents a person from ...
Words and phrases related to 'Collateral'
Collateral Sample Sentences in News
- Clients Can Use Life Insurance As Collateral for Loans!
Lifeinsurance-policy.com ( http://lifeinsurance-policy.com/ ) announces a new blog post, “Can You Use Life Insurance As Collateral for a Loan?” (PRWeb September 01, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/termlifeinsurancequotes/termlifeinsuranceplans/prweb12135497.htm Read more on this news related to 'Collateral'
- Sapient Global Markets Supports EMIR Collateral and Valuation Reporting Through CMRS Enhancements
Sapient Global Markets, a division of Sapient , and a leading global provider of business technology and consulting services for the capital and commodity markets, to Read more on this news related to 'Collateral'
- ‘99-year land leases not bankable’
Financial institutions have turned down a request by Matabeleland region farmers to accept as collateral their 99-year land leases in their loan applications. Read more on this news related to 'Collateral'