Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Cogent'
Cogent Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- having the power to influence or convince; "a cogent analysis of the problem"; "potent arguments" [syn: potent, powerful]
- powerfully persuasive; "a cogent argument"; "a telling presentation"; "a weighty argument" [syn: telling, weighty]
- Cogent \Co"gent\ (k[=o]"j[e^]nt), a. [L. cogens, p. pr. of
cogere to drive together, to force; co- + agere to drive. See
Agent, a., and cf. Coact to force, Coagulate, p. a.]
- Compelling, in a physical sense; powerful. [Obs.] The cogent force of nature. --Prior.
- Having the power to compel conviction or move the will; constraining; conclusive; forcible; powerful; not easily reasisted. No better nor more cogent reason. --Dr. H. More. Proofs of the most cogent description. --Tyndall. The tongue whose strains were cogent as commands, Revered at home, and felt in foreign lands. --Cowper. Syn: Forcible; powerful; potent; urgent; strong; persuasive; convincing; conclusive; influential.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Cogent'
- Cogent: Cogent can refer to: Cogency of an argument. Cogent Communications , an Internet service provider. Cogent Partners , an investment banking ...
- Cogent Communications: Cogent Communications is a multinational internet service provider whose network spans more than 50,600 intercity fiber route miles and 14 ...
- Cogent Partners: Cogent Partners is a boutique private equity focused investment bank and advisory firm and was one of the first advisory firms ...
- Cogent Systems: Cogent Systems, Inc. is a manufacturer of automated fingerprint identification systems (AFIS). announced they acquired Cogent Systems for $943M. ...
- Cogent Research: Cogent Research is a market research firm providing both custom and syndicated research. The company is specializing in research design ...
Words and phrases related to 'Cogent'
Cogent Sample Sentences in News
- Cogent CEO bashes TWC deal to FCC
The “most hated man in telecom” is taking on the most powerful man in cable. Dave Schaeffer, the founder and chief executive of Cogent Communications, has emerged as one of... Read more on this news related to 'Cogent'
- Cogent Communications to Host First Quarter 2014 Earnings Call on May 8, 2014
WASHINGTON, April 8, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Cogent Communications Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: CCOI) will host a conference call with financial analysts at 8:30 a.m. (EDT) on May 8, 2014 to discuss Cogent's operating ... Read more on this news related to 'Cogent'
- Cogent Communications Launches Notes Offering
WASHINGTON, April 1, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, Cogent Communications Group, Inc. ("Cogent Communications") announced that Cogent Communications Finance, Inc., a newly formed financing subsidiary of Cogent Communications, intends to commence an offering of $200 million of senior unsecured notes due 2021 (the "Notes") for issuance in a private Read more on this news related to 'Cogent'