Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Cogent'
Cogent Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- having the power to influence or convince; "a cogent analysis of the problem"; "potent arguments" [syn: potent, powerful]
- powerfully persuasive; "a cogent argument"; "a telling presentation"; "a weighty argument" [syn: telling, weighty]
- Cogent \Co"gent\ (k[=o]"j[e^]nt), a. [L. cogens, p. pr. of
cogere to drive together, to force; co- + agere to drive. See
Agent, a., and cf. Coact to force, Coagulate, p. a.]
- Compelling, in a physical sense; powerful. [Obs.] The cogent force of nature. --Prior.
- Having the power to compel conviction or move the will; constraining; conclusive; forcible; powerful; not easily reasisted. No better nor more cogent reason. --Dr. H. More. Proofs of the most cogent description. --Tyndall. The tongue whose strains were cogent as commands, Revered at home, and felt in foreign lands. --Cowper. Syn: Forcible; powerful; potent; urgent; strong; persuasive; convincing; conclusive; influential.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Cogent'
- Cogent: Cogent can refer to: Cogency of an argument. Cogent Communications , an Internet service provider. Cogent Partners , an investment banking ...
- Cogent Communications: Cogent Communications is a multinational internet service provider whose network spans more than 50,600 intercity fiber route miles and 14 ...
- Cogent Partners: Cogent Partners is a boutique private equity focused investment bank and advisory firm and was one of the first advisory firms ...
- Cogent Systems: Cogent Systems, Inc. is a manufacturer of automated fingerprint identification systems (AFIS). announced they acquired Cogent Systems for $943M. ...
- Cogent Research: Cogent Research is a market research firm providing both custom and syndicated research. The company is specializing in research design ...
Words and phrases related to 'Cogent'
Cogent Sample Sentences in News
- Cogent Reports: Improved Market Conditions Allow Institutional Investors to Contemplate Big Moves
Now that institutional investors in the US are reaping the rewards of improving market conditions, they are increasingly turning to specialized managers to fulfill their investment mandates. Read more on this news related to 'Cogent'
- Cogent Reports™: PayPal Faces Challenges from a Growing Field of Competitors
While PayPal is better known and long-established, 13 challenger brands including Square and Amazon Payments are gaining recognition and credibility in the rapidly changing payment Read more on this news related to 'Cogent'
- Why Cogent Communications (CCOI) Is Down Today
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Cogent Communications shares are falling Monday following the paid peering deal between Netflix and Comcast . Cogent sells transit to services like Netflix, which lets Internet traffic pass between networks. Netflix's peering deal with Comcast potentially cuts out Cogent by connecting Comcast subscribers directly to Netflix. Netflix is Read more on this news related to 'Cogent'