Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Coefficient'
n : a constant number that serves as a measure of some property
- Coefficient \Co`ef*fi"cient\, a.
Co["o]perating; acting together to produce an effect.
- Coefficient \Co`ef*fi"cient\, n.
- That which unites in action with something else to produce the same effect.
- [Cf. F. coefficient.] (Math.) A number or letter put before a letter or quantity, known or unknown, to show how many times the latter is to be taken; as, 6x; bx; here 6 and b are coefficients of x.
- (Physics) A number, commonly used in computation as a factor, expressing the amount of some change or effect under certain fixed conditions as to temperature, length, volume, etc.; as, the coefficient of expansion; the coefficient of friction. Arbitrary coefficient (Math.), a literal coefficient placed arbitrarily in an algebraic expression, the value of the coefficient being afterwards determined by the conditions of the problem.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Coefficient'
In mathematics, a coefficient is a multiplicative factor in some term of an expression (or of a series); it is usually a number, but in any case does not involve any variables of the expression. For instance in
the first three terms respectively have the coefficients 7, −3, and 1.5 (in the third term there are no variables, so the coefficient is the term itself; it is called the constant term or constant coefficient of this expression). The final term does not have any explicitly written coefficient, but is usually considered to have coefficient 1, since multiplying by that factor would not change the term. Often coefficients are numbers as in this example, although they could be parameters of the problem, as a, b, and c in
when it is understood that these are not considered as variables.[See more about Coefficient at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Coefficient'
Coefficient Sample Sentences in News
- HK 2011 Gini Coefficient 0.475; household income holds steady
The Census and Statistics Department (C&SD) released the results of the study on the household incom... Read more on this news related to 'Coefficient'
- NBS: China's consumption level rises in 2013, Engel Coefficient for rural, urban residents both decline
February 24 (DZH AAFN) -- China's 2013 Engel Coefficient for rural residents reported at 37.7 percen... Read more on this news related to 'Coefficient'
- Median household income rose to $7,870 last year, inequality down
Inequality also fell, as measured by the Gini coefficient, a measure of inequality that ranges from zero with total equality to one with total inequality. It fell from 0.478 in 2012 to 0.463 in 2013. If government transfers and taxes are taken into account, the Gini coefficient for 2013 would be 0.412. Get the full story from The Straits Times . Here is the press Read more on this news related to 'Coefficient'