Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Coefficient'
n : a constant number that serves as a measure of some property
- Coefficient \Co`ef*fi"cient\, a.
Co["o]perating; acting together to produce an effect.
- Coefficient \Co`ef*fi"cient\, n.
- That which unites in action with something else to produce the same effect.
- [Cf. F. coefficient.] (Math.) A number or letter put before a letter or quantity, known or unknown, to show how many times the latter is to be taken; as, 6x; bx; here 6 and b are coefficients of x.
- (Physics) A number, commonly used in computation as a factor, expressing the amount of some change or effect under certain fixed conditions as to temperature, length, volume, etc.; as, the coefficient of expansion; the coefficient of friction. Arbitrary coefficient (Math.), a literal coefficient placed arbitrarily in an algebraic expression, the value of the coefficient being afterwards determined by the conditions of the problem.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Coefficient'
In mathematics, a coefficient is a multiplicative factor in some term of an expression (or of a series); it is usually a number, but in any case does not involve any variables of the expression. For instance in
the first three terms respectively have the coefficients 7, −3, and 1.5 (in the third term there are no variables, so the coefficient is the term itself; it is called the constant term or constant coefficient of this expression). The final term does not have any explicitly written coefficient, but is usually considered to have coefficient 1, since multiplying by that factor would not change the term. Often coefficients are numbers as in this example, although they could be parameters of the problem, as a, b, and c in
when it is understood that these are not considered as variables.[See more about Coefficient at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Coefficient'
Coefficient Sample Sentences in News
- Borussia Dortmund vs. Arsenal preview: Injury issues mean it's anyone's game
Borussia Dortmund have climbed up the UEFA coefficient rankings over the years, but they haven't been able to escape Arsenal. In three of the last four years, BVB have been drawn with the Gunners in the Champions League group stage. They failed to get out of their group in the 2011-12 tournament, but they bested the Gunners last year, winning a tough group tha Read more on this news related to 'Coefficient'
- Force Transducers offer 2,304 different configurations.
Available with nominal forces from 2.5 kN to 1 MN, in accuracy classes from 0.03–0.06, C10 Compressive Force Transducers come in hermetically sealed, stainless steel version and feature IP68 rating for use in environments where dirt and moisture can be problematic. Despite high output signal up to 4 mV/V, transducers have low temperature coefficient. Zero po Read more on this news related to 'Coefficient'
- PPTC Resettable Fuses offer current ratings from 0.5-3.75 A.
Supplied in EIA standard SMD packages from 0603 to 2920, PMS Series offers voltage ratings up to 60 Vdc and high current withstanding capability of 100 A. Polymer positive temperature coefficient devices help prevent products from being damaged in overcurrent or short circuit condition. Halogen-free, RoHS-compliant, and UL safety certified, fuses are suited for co Read more on this news related to 'Coefficient'