Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Code'
- a set of rules or principles or laws (especially written ones) [syn: codification]
- a coding system used for transmitting messages requiring brevity or secrecy
- (computer science) the symbolic arrangement of data or instructions in a computer program or the set of such instructions [syn: computer code] v
- attach a code to; "Code the pieces with numbers so that you can identify them later"
- convert ordinary language into code; "We should encode the message for security reasons" [syn: encode, encipher, cipher, cypher, encrypt, inscribe, write in code] [ant: decode]
- Code \Code\ (k[=o]d), n. [F., fr. L. codex, caudex, the stock or
stem of a tree, a board or tablet of wood smeared over with
wax, on which the ancients originally wrote; hence, a book, a
- A body of law, sanctioned by legislation, in which the rules of law to be specifically applied by the courts are set forth in systematic form; a compilation of laws by public authority; a digest. Note: The collection of laws made by the order of Justinian is sometimes called, by way of eminence. ``The Code'' --Wharton.
- Any system of rules or regulations relating to one subject; as, the medical code, a system of rules for the regulation of the professional conduct of physicians; the naval code, a system of rules for making communications at sea means of signals. Code civil or Code Napoleon, a code enacted in France in 1803 and 1804, embodying the law of rights of persons and of property generally. --Abbot.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Code'
A code is a rule for converting a piece of information (for example, a letter, word, phrase, or gesture) into another form or representation (one sign into another sign), not necessarily of the same type.
In communications and information processing, encoding is the process by which information from a source is converted into symbols to be communicated. Decoding is the reverse process, converting these code symbols back into information understandable by a receiver.
One reason for coding is to enable communication in places where ordinary spoken or written language is difficult or impossible. For example, semaphore, where the configuration of flags held signaller or the arms of a semaphore tower encodes parts of the message, typically individual letters and numbers. Another person standing a great distance away can interpret the flags and reproduce the words sent.[See more about Code at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Code'
'Code' in famous quotation sentence
* Real programmers can write assembly code in any language. - Larry Wall
* Our heritage and ideals, our code and standards -- the things we live by and teach our children -- are preserved or diminished by how freely we exchange ideas and feelings. - Walt Disney
Click here for more related quotations on 'Code'
Code Sample Sentences in News
- Nigeria adopts code of conduct
Nigeria's football authorities adopt a code of conduct which is designed to make player bonus rows a thing of the past. Read more on this news related to 'Code'
- Mangalore: Congress violated election code at Kalladka - BJP
Mangalore, Mar 9: The district BJP on Sunday March 9 alleged that the Congress had violated the election code of conduct by organizing its convention at Kalladka on Saturday March 8. It also blamed the Congress for the clashes that erupted between Sangh Parivar members and Congress partyworkers during the programme. Read more on this news related to 'Code'
- Code Pink's Medea Benjamin Says that Egyptian Police Broke her Arm
Code Pink's Medea Benjamin was on her way to Gaza on Tuesday when she was detained in a Cairo airport. According to a statement from Code Pink, Benjamin's arm was broken as she was being removed from her holding cell to be deported to Turkey. Read more on this news related to 'Code'