Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Code'
- a set of rules or principles or laws (especially written ones) [syn: codification]
- a coding system used for transmitting messages requiring brevity or secrecy
- (computer science) the symbolic arrangement of data or instructions in a computer program or the set of such instructions [syn: computer code] v
- attach a code to; "Code the pieces with numbers so that you can identify them later"
- convert ordinary language into code; "We should encode the message for security reasons" [syn: encode, encipher, cipher, cypher, encrypt, inscribe, write in code] [ant: decode]
- Code \Code\ (k[=o]d), n. [F., fr. L. codex, caudex, the stock or
stem of a tree, a board or tablet of wood smeared over with
wax, on which the ancients originally wrote; hence, a book, a
- A body of law, sanctioned by legislation, in which the rules of law to be specifically applied by the courts are set forth in systematic form; a compilation of laws by public authority; a digest. Note: The collection of laws made by the order of Justinian is sometimes called, by way of eminence. ``The Code'' --Wharton.
- Any system of rules or regulations relating to one subject; as, the medical code, a system of rules for the regulation of the professional conduct of physicians; the naval code, a system of rules for making communications at sea means of signals. Code civil or Code Napoleon, a code enacted in France in 1803 and 1804, embodying the law of rights of persons and of property generally. --Abbot.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Code'
A code is a rule for converting a piece of information (for example, a letter, word, phrase, or gesture) into another form or representation (one sign into another sign), not necessarily of the same type.
In communications and information processing, encoding is the process by which information from a source is converted into symbols to be communicated. Decoding is the reverse process, converting these code symbols back into information understandable by a receiver.
One reason for coding is to enable communication in places where ordinary spoken or written language is difficult or impossible. For example, semaphore, where the configuration of flags held signaller or the arms of a semaphore tower encodes parts of the message, typically individual letters and numbers. Another person standing a great distance away can interpret the flags and reproduce the words sent.[See more about Code at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Code'
'Code' in famous quotation sentence
* Real programmers can write assembly code in any language. - Larry Wall
* Our heritage and ideals, our code and standards -- the things we live by and teach our children -- are preserved or diminished by how freely we exchange ideas and feelings. - Walt Disney
Click here for more related quotations on 'Code'
Code Sample Sentences in News
- CU-Boulder Honor Code Office working to curb cheating on campus
Though reports of cheating are up at the University of Colorado, campus officials say that's because students in the Honor Code Office, which collects and investigates reports of cheating on campus, are doing a better job raising awareness about the tools available to faculty to curb academic dishonesty. Read more on this news related to 'Code'
- Code Fellows Partners with Forest Ridge School for an Hour of Code
Code Fellows, the only technical education provider that guarantees a $60,000 tech job after graduation, today announced that it has partnered with Forest Ridge School of the Sacred Heart in Bellevue, WA to celebrate Computer Science Education Week by teaching an Hour of Code to students as part of an international campaign to provide computer science instruction Read more on this news related to 'Code'
- Oracle Seeks to Revive Claim Google’s Android Copied Code
Oracle Corp. (ORCL) asked a U.S. appeals court today to let it pursue claims Google Inc. owes it more than $1 billion for building its Android operating system, the most popular platform for mobile phones, using copied code. Read more on this news related to 'Code'