Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Cloud'
- any collection of particles (e.g., smoke or dust) or gases that is visible
- a visible mass of water or ice particles suspended at a considerable altitude
- out of touch with reality; "his head was in the clouds"
- a cause of worry or gloom or trouble; "the only cloud on the horizon was the possibility of dissent by the French"
- suspicion affecting your reputation; "after that mistake he was under a cloud"
- a group of many insects; "a swarm of insects obscured the light"; "a cloud of butterflies" [syn: swarm] v
- make overcast or cloudy; "Fall weather often overcasts our beaches" [syn: overcast] [ant: clear up]
- make less visible or unclear; "The stars are obscured by the clouds" [syn: obscure, befog, becloud, obnubilate, haze over, fog, mist]
- billow up in the form of a cloud; "The smoke clouded above the houses"
- make gloomy or depressed; "Their faces were clouded with sadness"
- place under suspicion or cast doubt upon; "sully someone's reputation" [syn: defile, sully, corrupt, taint]
- colour with streaks or blotches of different shades [syn: mottle, dapple]
- make milky or dull; "The chemical clouded the liquid to which it was added"
- Cloud \Cloud\ (kloud), n. [Prob. fr. AS. cl[=u]d a rock or
hillock, the application arising from the frequent
resemblance of clouds to rocks or hillocks in the sky or
- A collection of visible vapor, or watery particles, suspended in the upper atmosphere. I do set my bow in the cloud. --Gen. ix. 13. Note: A classification of clouds according to their chief forms was first proposed by the meteorologist Howard, and this is still substantially employed. The following varieties and subvarieties are recognized: (a) Cirrus. This is the most elevated of all the forms
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Cloud'
A cloud is a visible mass of water droplets or frozen ice crystals suspended in the Earth's atmosphere above the surface of the Earth or other planetary body. Clouds in the Earth's atmosphere are studied in the nephology or cloud physics branch of meteorology. Two processes, possibly acting together, can lead to air becoming saturated: cooling the air or adding water vapor to the air. Generally, precipitation will fall to the surface; an exception is virga which evaporates before reaching the surface. Clouds can show convective development like cumulus, be in the form layered sheets such as stratus, or appear in thin fibrous wisps as with cirrus. Prefixes are used in connection with clouds: strato for low cumulus-category clouds that show some stratiform characteristics, nimbo for low to middle stratiform clouds that can produce moderate to heavy precipitation, alto for middle clouds, and cirro for high clouds. Whether or not a cloud is low, middle, or high level depends on how far above the ground its base forms. Some cloud types can form in the low or middle ranges depending on the moisture content of the air. Clouds have latin names due to the popular adaptation of Luke Howard's cloud categorization system, which began to spread in popularity during December 1802. Synoptic surface weather observations use code numbers for the types of tropospheric cloud visible at each scheduled observation time based on the height and physical appearance of the clouds. While a majority of clouds form in the Earth's troposphere, there are occasions where clouds in the stratosphere and mesosphere are observed. Clouds have been observed on other planets and moons within the Solar System, but due to their different temperature characteristics, they are composed of other substances such as methane, ammonia, or sulfuric acid.[See more about Cloud at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Cloud'
'Cloud' in famous quotation sentence
* Every man, wherever he goes, is encompassed by a cloud of comforting convictions, which move with him like flies on a summer day. - Bertrand Russell
* A Shade upon the mind there passesAs when on NoonA Cloud the mighty Sun encloses. - Emily Elizabeth Dickinson
Click here for more related quotations on 'Cloud'
Cloud Sample Sentences in News
- Spanning Joins Cloud Security Alliance
Spanning Cloud Apps, the most trusted provider of data backup and recovery for cloud applications, today announced that it has joined the Cloud Security Alliance , a not-for-p Read more on this news related to 'Cloud'
- Alianza Launches Cloud Wholesale VoIP Solution for Canadian Service Providers
Alianza, the cloud voice platform company, today announced the launch of its cloud-based wholesale VoIP solution in Canada. Building on five years of experience in the United States, Alianza will now help Canadian cable companies, ISPs, telcos and resellers dramatically reduce total cost of ownership and rapidly launch new voice over IP services. Read more on this news related to 'Cloud'
- Cloud Buying Behavior In The Post-Snowden Era
Many cloud vendors predicted that Edward Snowden's whistle blowing about widespread NSA surveillance would fundamentally change the technology landscape in general, and the cloud computing landscape in particular. The theory went that customers, wary of their most intimate corporate data being perused by US agencies, would flock to non US [...] Read more on this news related to 'Cloud'