Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Cleavage'
Cleavage Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- the state of being split or cleft
- the breaking of a chemical bond in a molecule resulting in smaller molecules
- (embryology) the repeated division of a fertilised ovum [syn: segmentation]
- the line formed by a groove between two parts (especially the separation between a woman's breasts)
- the act of cleaving or splitting
- Cleavage \Cleav"age\, n.
- The act of cleaving or splitting.
- (Crystallog.) The quality possessed by many crystallized substances of splitting readily in one or more definite directions, in which the cohesive attraction is a minimum, affording more or less smooth surfaces; the direction of the dividing plane; a fragment obtained by cleaving, as of a diamond. See Parting.
- (Geol.) Division into lamin[ae], like slate, with the lamination not necessarily parallel to the plane of deposition; -- usually produced by pressure. Basal cleavage, cleavage parallel to the base of a crystal, or to the plane of the lateral axes. Cell cleavage (Biol.), multiplication of cells by fission. See Segmentation. Cubic cleavage, cleavage parallel to the faces of a cube. Diagonal cleavage, cleavage parallel to ta diagonal plane. Egg clavage. (Biol.) See Segmentation. Lateral cleavage, cleavage parallel to the lateral planes. Octahedral, Dodecahedral, or Rhombohedral, cleavage, cleavage parallel to the faces of an octahedron, dodecahedron, or rhombohedron. Prismatic cleavage, cleavage parallel to a vertical prism.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Cleavage'
- Cleavage: Cleavage in general refers to a division or separation of form. Its usage is heavily dependent on cultural context, where it may refer to: ...
- Cleavage (crystal): Cleavage, in mineralogy , is the tendency of crystalline materials to split along definite crystallographic structural planes. ...
- Cleavage (geology): Cleavage, in structural geology and petrology , describes the tendency of a rock to break along preferred planes of weakness, caused by ...
- Cleavage (breasts): Cleavage is the space between a woman 's breasts lying over the sternum revealed by a garment with a low neckline . Cleavage is ...
- Cleavage (embryo): In embryology , cleavage is the division of cell s in the early embryo . The zygote s of many species undergo rapid cell cycle s with no ...
- Cleavage (politics): Cleavage in political science is a concept used in voting analysis and is the division of voters into voting bloc s. The preliminary ...
- Buttock cleavage: Buttock cleavage is minor exposure of the buttocks and the gluteal cleft between them, often because of low-slung trousers . ...
- Bond cleavage: Bond cleavage, or scission, is the splitting of chemical bond s. If the two electrons in a cleaved covalent bond are divided between the ...
Words and phrases related to 'Cleavage'
Cleavage Sample Sentences in News
- Alessandra Ambrosio Exposes Crazy Cleavage in Revealing Hot-Pink Gown: So Hot or So Not?
Holy cleavage! Alessandra Ambrosio put her hot body on display in a super-revealing bright-pink gown[...] Read more on this news related to 'Cleavage'
- Nicole Schezinger prefers shoulders to cleavage
Nicole Scherzinger thinks 'shoulders are sexier than cleavage'.The 35-year-old singer prefers to wear outfits which are ''open across the top'', and... Read more on this news related to 'Cleavage'
- Shay Mitchell Flaunts Her Cleavage At Canadian Screen Awards
The star looked absolutely amazing as she showed off her sexy cleavage in a plunging cutout gown. Read more on this news related to 'Cleavage'