Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Clearance'
Clearance Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- the distance by which one thing clears another; the space between them
- vertical space available to allow easy passage under something [syn: headroom, headway]
- permission to proceed; "the plane was given clearance to land"
- Clearance \Clear"ance\ (-ans), n.
- The act of clearing; as, to make a thorough clearance.
- A certificate that a ship or vessel has been cleared at the customhouse; permission to sail. Every ship was subject to seizure for want of stamped clearances. --Durke
- Clear or net profit. --Trollope.
- (Mach.) The distance by which one object clears another, as the distance between the piston and cylinder head at the end of a stroke in a steam engine, or the least distance between the point of a cogwheel tooth and the bottom of a space between teeth of a wheel with which it engages. Clearance space (Steam engine), the space inclosed in one end of the cylinder, between the valve or valves and the piston, at the beginning of a stroke; waste room. It includes the space caused by the piston's clearance and the space in ports, passageways, etc. Its volume is often expressed as a certain proportion of the volume swept by the piston in a single stroke.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Clearance'
- Clearance: A clearance can refer to: in chess , A positional move, where a player moves a piece occupying a certain square away, replacing it with an ...
- Security clearance: For use by the United Nations , see Security Clearance (UN) A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to ...
- Highland Clearances: The Highland Clearances (Fuadach nan Gàidheal, the expulsion of the Gael) were forced displacement s of the population of the Scottish ...
- Clearance (medicine): In medicine , the clearance is a measurement of the renal excretion ability. Although clearance may also involve other organs than the ...
Words and phrases related to 'Clearance'
Clearance Sample Sentences in News
- Legislation: To stop the next Snowden, social media security clearance screenings
The Enhanced Security Clearance Act of 2014 (HR 5482) hopes to employ 'social media screening' to flag violent psychopaths, and prevent the next Edward Snowden from getting a clearance. Read more on this news related to 'Clearance'
- Wanted by NASA: Space Telescope Director with Spy Credentials
The leader of the James Webb Space Telescope must have clearance that allows access to the highest level of classified information, according to a NASA want ad -- Read more on ScientificAmerican.com Read more on this news related to 'Clearance'
- Federal Eye: Security clearance process: work in progress
One year after Navy Yard shootings, much work remains on security clearance reform. Read more on this news related to 'Clearance'