Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Clearance'
Clearance Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- the distance by which one thing clears another; the space between them
- vertical space available to allow easy passage under something [syn: headroom, headway]
- permission to proceed; "the plane was given clearance to land"
- Clearance \Clear"ance\ (-ans), n.
- The act of clearing; as, to make a thorough clearance.
- A certificate that a ship or vessel has been cleared at the customhouse; permission to sail. Every ship was subject to seizure for want of stamped clearances. --Durke
- Clear or net profit. --Trollope.
- (Mach.) The distance by which one object clears another, as the distance between the piston and cylinder head at the end of a stroke in a steam engine, or the least distance between the point of a cogwheel tooth and the bottom of a space between teeth of a wheel with which it engages. Clearance space (Steam engine), the space inclosed in one end of the cylinder, between the valve or valves and the piston, at the beginning of a stroke; waste room. It includes the space caused by the piston's clearance and the space in ports, passageways, etc. Its volume is often expressed as a certain proportion of the volume swept by the piston in a single stroke.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Clearance'
- Clearance: A clearance can refer to: in chess , A positional move, where a player moves a piece occupying a certain square away, replacing it with an ...
- Security clearance: For use by the United Nations , see Security Clearance (UN) A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to ...
- Highland Clearances: The Highland Clearances (Fuadach nan Gàidheal, the expulsion of the Gael) were forced displacement s of the population of the Scottish ...
- Clearance (medicine): In medicine , the clearance is a measurement of the renal excretion ability. Although clearance may also involve other organs than the ...
Words and phrases related to 'Clearance'