Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Cleanly'
Cleanly Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : habitually clean; "cleanly in their persons and habitations"
- in an adroit manner; "he bounced it cleanly off the wall" [syn: flawlessly]
- without distortion; "she played the piano accompaniment cleanly" [also: cleanliest, cleanlier]
- Cleanly \Clean"ly\, adv.
- In a clean manner; neatly. He was very cleanly dressed. --Dickens.
- Innocently; without stain. --Shak.
- Adroitly; dexterously. --Middleton.
- Cleanly \Clean"ly\, a. [Compar. Cleanlier; superl.
Cleanliest.] [From Clean.]
- Habitually clean; pure; innocent. ``Cleanly joys.'' --Glanvill. Some plain but cleanly country maid. --Dryden. Displays her cleanly platter on the board. --Goldsmith.
- Cleansing; fitted to remove moisture; dirt, etc. [Obs.] ``With cleanly powder dry their hair.'' --Prior.
- Adroit; skillful; dexterous; artful. [Obs.] Through his fine handling and his cleanly play. --Spenser.