Clay Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- the dead body of a human being
- United States politician responsible for the Missouri Compromise between free and slave states (1777-1852)
- United States general who commanded United States forces in Europe from 1945 to 1949 and who oversaw the Berlin airlift (1897-1978)
- a very fine-grained soil that is plastic when moist but hard when fired
- water soaked soil; soft wet earth
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a very fine-grained soil that is plastic when moist but hard when fired ,
- water soaked soil; soft wet earth ,
- United States general who commanded United States forces in Europe from 1945 to 1949 and who oversaw the Berlin airlift (1897-1978) ,
- United States politician responsible for the Missouri Compromise between free and slave states (1777-1852) ,
- the dead body of a human being; "the cadaver was intended for dissection"; "the end of the police search was the discovery of a corpse"; "the murderer confessed that he threw the stiff in the river"; "honor comes to bless the turf that wraps their clay"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Clay'?
Clay Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Clay is a fine-grained silicate mineral made when rocks break down. When wet, clay has a plastic quality, and can be used to make pottery and bricks and other things. Pottery is when clay used to model shapes and then fired in a kiln.
Clay often contains some water because the water molecules stick to the tiny grains. There may also be some organic materials in the clay.
Words and phrases related to 'Clay'
Meaning of the Name 'Clay'
- Meaning: mortal
- Origin: English
- Gender: Male
'Clay' example sentence in quotations
* I have you and even if we never meet or ever see each other, we have left our thumbprints in the thick, moist clay of each others lives. - Hugh Elliott
Click here for more related quotations on 'Clay'
Clay Sample Sentences in News
- Clay Studio molds his artist's soul
Knife falls out of N. Philly kid's pocket and carves his life in clay. Read more on this news related to 'Clay'
- Clay County deputies warn locals of scam
CLAY COUNTY, Fla. — The Clay County Sheriff’s Office has gone to social media to warn locals of a scam. “We've had dozens call and report it,” said detective Michael Kirchner. Read more on this news related to 'Clay'
- Family sues Clay sheriff for holding them in custody while teen dies
Hadrian Robadan shot himself, and in his last hours before death, Clay County Sheriff’s Office deputies illegally detained his mother and grandmother, a lawsuit alleges. While he was dying at the hospital, his mother and grandmother were in a Clay County Sheriff’s Office car, they said in a lawsuit. Deputies wouldn’t let them leave. His mother, Angela Levi, Read more on this news related to 'Clay'