Clay Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- the dead body of a human being
- United States politician responsible for the Missouri Compromise between free and slave states (1777-1852)
- United States general who commanded United States forces in Europe from 1945 to 1949 and who oversaw the Berlin airlift (1897-1978)
- a very fine-grained soil that is plastic when moist but hard when fired
- water soaked soil; soft wet earth
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a very fine-grained soil that is plastic when moist but hard when fired ,
- water soaked soil; soft wet earth ,
- United States general who commanded United States forces in Europe from 1945 to 1949 and who oversaw the Berlin airlift (1897-1978) ,
- United States politician responsible for the Missouri Compromise between free and slave states (1777-1852) ,
- the dead body of a human being; "the cadaver was intended for dissection"; "the end of the police search was the discovery of a corpse"; "the murderer confessed that he threw the stiff in the river"; "honor comes to bless the turf that wraps their clay"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Clay'?
Clay Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Clay is a fine-grained silicate mineral made when rocks break down. When wet, clay has a plastic quality, and can be used to make pottery and bricks and other things. Pottery is when clay used to model shapes and then fired in a kiln.
Clay often contains some water because the water molecules stick to the tiny grains. There may also be some organic materials in the clay.
Words and phrases related to 'Clay'
Meaning of the Name 'Clay'
- Meaning: mortal
- Origin: English
- Gender: Male
'Clay' example sentence in quotations
* I have you and even if we never meet or ever see each other, we have left our thumbprints in the thick, moist clay of each others lives. - Hugh Elliott
Click here for more related quotations on 'Clay'
Clay Sample Sentences in News
- 'American Idol' singer Clay Aiken seeks win in first political bid
"American Idol" runner-up Clay Aiken is back on tour. This time he is trying to win over North Carolina voters with his political chops rather than his voice, and he has less than two weeks left to do it. Read more on this news related to 'Clay'
- Clay School Board candidate drops lawsuit
Sandra Dunnavant sued the Clay Family Policy Forum Inc. because she said the organization defamed her by changing her answers in the organization's 2014 Voter Guide to insinuate she supports same-sex marriage. Read more on this news related to 'Clay'
- Fitch Upgrades Clay County Utility Auth, FL's Utility Sys Revs to 'AA+'; Outlook Revised to Stable
Fitch Ratings upgrades the rating on the following Clay County Utility Authority, FL revenue bonds: Read more on this news related to 'Clay'