Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Classic'
- characteristic of the classical artistic and literary traditions
- adhering to established standards and principles; "a classic proof" n
- a creation of the highest excellence
- an artist who has created classic works
- Classic \Clas"sic\, Classical \Clas"sic*al\, a. [L. classicus
relating to the classes of the Roman people, and especially
to the frist class; hence, of the first rank, superior, from
classis class: cf. F. classique. See Class, n.]
- Of or relating to the first class or rank, especially in literature or art. Give, as thy last memorial to the age, One classic drama, and reform the stage. --Byron. Mr. Greaves may justly be reckoned a classical author on this subject [Roman weights and coins]. --Arbuthnot.
- Of or pertaining to the ancient Greeks and Romans, esp. to Greek or Roman authors of the highest rank, or of the period when their best literature was produced; of or pertaining to places inhabited by the ancient Greeks and Romans, or rendered famous by their deeds. Though throned midst Latium's classic plains. --Mrs. Hemans. The epithet classical, as applied to ancient authors, is determined less by the purity of their style than by the period at which they wrote. --Brande & C. He [Atterbury] directed the classical studies of the undergraduates of his college. --Macaulay.
- Conforming to the best authority in literature and art; chaste; pure; refined; as, a classical style. Classical, provincial, and national synods. --Macaulay. Classicals orders. (Arch.) See under Order.
- Classic \Clas"sic\, n.
- A work of acknowledged excellence and authority, or its author; -- originally used of Greek and Latin works or authors, but now applied to authors and works of a like character in any language. In is once raised him to the rank of a legitimate English classic. --Macaulay.
- One learned in the literature of Greece and Rome, or a student of classical literature.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Classic'
The word classic means something that is a perfect example of a particular style, something of lasting worth or with a timeless quality. The word can be an adjective (a classic car) or a noun (a classic of english literature). It denotes a particular quality in art, architecture, literature and other cultural artifacts. In commerce, products are named 'classic' to denote a long standing popular version or model, to distinguish it from a newer variety. Classic is used to describe many major, long-standing sporting events. Colloquially, an everyday occurrence (e.g. a joke or mishap) may be described as 'an absolute classic'.
"Classic" should not be confused with classical, which refers specifically to certain cultural styles, especially in music and architecture.
The classics are the literature of ancient Greece and Rome, known as classical antiquity. Classics (without the definite article) can refer to the study of the humanities: philosophy, literature, history and the arts, as distinct from technical subjects.[See more about Classic at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Classic'
'Classic' in famous quotation sentence
* A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read. - Mark Twain
* It could be said that the AIDS pandemic is a classic own-goal scored by the human race against itself. - Anne
Click here for more related quotations on 'Classic'
Classic Sample Sentences in News
- Cardinal Bank Charity Classic Raises $250,000 for Local Charities
Cardinal Bank announced today that its annual Charity Classic has raised $250,000, bringing its eleven-year fundraising total to more than $2,785,000. Held on Monday Read more on this news related to 'Classic'
Byline: Sussex classic car show rallies up support for lifesaving charity Page Content: A classic car show which is celebrating its 20 th anniversary this year has chosen to commemorate the milestone by raising money to help save lives at sea . Organisers of the 20 th Ardingly Vintage and Classic Vehicle Show have pledged to support the Royal National Lifeboat Ins Read more on this news related to 'Classic'
- Revisit Alfred Hitchcock's classic films in screenings around L.A.
Classic Hollywood: The director's various silent and sound films will be screening at the Samuel Goldwyn Theater, LACMA and Cinefamily. Think of it as a Hitchcock-a-palooza. It may be the summer of such blockbuster spectacles as "Man of Steel," "The Lone Ranger" and "World War Z," but it's also the summer of movies by a real-life legend: Alfred Hitchcock. Read more on this news related to 'Classic'