Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Chute'
Chute Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- rescue equipment consisting of a device that fills with air and retards your fall [syn: parachute]
- sloping channel through which things can descend [syn: slide, slideway, sloping trough]
- Shoot \Shoot\, n. [F. chute. See Chute. Confused with shoot to
An inclined plane, either artificial or natural, down which
timber, coal, etc., are caused to slide; also, a narrow
passage, either natural or artificial, in a stream, where the
water rushes rapidly; esp., a channel, having a swift
current, connecting the ends of a bend in the stream, so as
to shorten the course. [Written also chute, and shute.]
To take a shoot, to pass through a shoot instead of the
main channel; to take the most direct course. [U.S.]
- Chute \Chute\, n. [F. chute, prop. a fall.]
- A framework, trough, or tube, upon or through which objects are made to slide from a higher to a lower level, or through which water passes to a wheel.
- See Shoot.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Chute'
- Chute: Chute may refer to: Chute (gravity), a channel down which falling materials are guided. Mail chute , a chute for collecting and transporting ...
- Chute! (television programme): Chute is a children's video clip programme presented by Ross Lee that can be seen often on CBBC originally broadcast between September ...
- Chute (gravity): A chute is a vertical or inclined plane , channel, or passage through which objects are moved by means of gravity . Landform: A chute, also ...
- Parachute: Drogue chutes are used to aid horizontal deceleration of a vehicle (a fixed-wing aircraft , or a drag racer ), or to provide stability ...
- Chute, Wiltshire: Chute is a civil parish in Wiltshire , England . It includes the main village of Upper Chute and the smaller settlements of Lower Chute ...
- Chute (racecourse): In horse racing , the term chute refers to an extended path increasing the length of a straight portion of a racecourse, particularly an ...
- Trevor Chute: Major-General Sir Trevor Chute KCB , July 31, 1816–March 12, 1886 (age 69), was an Irish soldier in the British army , whose six week ...
Words and phrases related to 'Chute'