Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Chute'
Chute Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- rescue equipment consisting of a device that fills with air and retards your fall [syn: parachute]
- sloping channel through which things can descend [syn: slide, slideway, sloping trough]
- Shoot \Shoot\, n. [F. chute. See Chute. Confused with shoot to
An inclined plane, either artificial or natural, down which
timber, coal, etc., are caused to slide; also, a narrow
passage, either natural or artificial, in a stream, where the
water rushes rapidly; esp., a channel, having a swift
current, connecting the ends of a bend in the stream, so as
to shorten the course. [Written also chute, and shute.]
To take a shoot, to pass through a shoot instead of the
main channel; to take the most direct course. [U.S.]
- Chute \Chute\, n. [F. chute, prop. a fall.]
- A framework, trough, or tube, upon or through which objects are made to slide from a higher to a lower level, or through which water passes to a wheel.
- See Shoot.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Chute'
- Chute: Chute may refer to: Chute (gravity), a channel down which falling materials are guided. Mail chute , a chute for collecting and transporting ...
- Chute! (television programme): Chute is a children's video clip programme presented by Ross Lee that can be seen often on CBBC originally broadcast between September ...
- Chute (gravity): A chute is a vertical or inclined plane , channel, or passage through which objects are moved by means of gravity . Landform: A chute, also ...
- Parachute: Drogue chutes are used to aid horizontal deceleration of a vehicle (a fixed-wing aircraft , or a drag racer ), or to provide stability ...
- Chute, Wiltshire: Chute is a civil parish in Wiltshire , England . It includes the main village of Upper Chute and the smaller settlements of Lower Chute ...
- Chute (racecourse): In horse racing , the term chute refers to an extended path increasing the length of a straight portion of a racecourse, particularly an ...
- Trevor Chute: Major-General Sir Trevor Chute KCB , July 31, 1816–March 12, 1886 (age 69), was an Irish soldier in the British army , whose six week ...
Words and phrases related to 'Chute'
Chute Sample Sentences in News
- UPDATE-2: Chicago cop and missing children found in Grand Chute
The boys were reunited with their father in Grand Chute this evening. The mother was also allowed to go free. Read more on this news related to 'Chute'
- Domestic dispute between police officers comes to Grand Chute
GRAND CHUTE, Wis., (WFRV) - A custody dispute between two Chicago police officers made its way up to Grand Chute. That's where one officer and her two children were found, after Chicago authorities reported she'd abducted them Wednesday night from their father. The children are back with their father Thursday night and Grand Chute Police Chief Greg Peterso Read more on this news related to 'Chute'
- Police: Man, 90, dies after falling down garbage chute
Police are investigating the death of a 90-year-old man who apparently fell down a garbage chute at a building in the Kilbourn Park neighborhood on the Northwest Side. Read more on this news related to 'Chute'