Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Choir'
- a chorus that sings as part of a religious ceremony
- a family of similar musical instrument playing together [syn: consort]
- the area occupied by singers; the part of the chancel between sanctuary and nave v : sing in a choir [syn: chorus]
- Choir \Choir\, n. [OE. quer, OF. cuer, F. ch[oe]ur, fr. L.
chorus a choral dance, chorus, choir, fr. Gr. ?, orig.
dancing place; prob. akin to ? inclosure, L. hortus garden,
and E. yard. See Chorus.]
- A band or organized company of singers, especially in church service. [Formerly written also quire.]
- That part of a church appropriated to the singers.
- (Arch.) The chancel. Choir organ (Mus.), one of the three or five distinct organs included in the full organ, each separable from the rest, but all controlled by one performer; a portion of the full organ, complete in itself, and more practicable for ordinary service and in the accompanying of the vocal choir. Choir screen, Choir wall (Arch.), a screen or low wall separating the choir from the aisles. Choir service, the service of singing performed by the choir. --T. Warton.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Choir'
A choir, chorale, or chorus is a musical ensemble of singers. Choral music, in turn, is the music written specifically for such an ensemble to perform.
A body of singers who perform together as a group is called a choir or chorus. The former term is very often applied to groups affiliated with a church (whether or not they actually occupy the choir) and the second to groups that perform in theatres or concert halls, but this distinction is far from rigid. The term "Choir" has the secondary definition of a subset of an ensemble; thus one speaks of the "woodwind choir" of an orchestra, or different "choirs" of voices and/or instruments in a polychoral composition. In typical 18th to 21st century oratorios and masses, chorus or choir is usually understood to imply more than one singer per part, in contrast to the quartet of soloists also featured in these works.[See more about Choir at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Choir'
Choir Sample Sentences in News
- Kammerchor Manila sweeps Czech choral contest
Kammerchor Manila (KM), choir of the Hearts of Jesus and Mary Parish Church in West Triangle, Quezon City, took the music world by storm when it swept the awards in the 42nd Festival of Songs Olomouc 2014 of the Czech Republic. Read more on this news related to 'Choir'
- Regina Coeli Choir, Cavite’s pride, singing at SONA
Rosario, Cavite — The Regina Coeli Choir-Philippines (RCCP), a choral group based in this municipality, is set to lead the singing of “Lupang Hinirang” at the 16th Congress second regular session opening and President Aquino’s fifth State-Of-The-Nation address (SONA) tomorrow at the Batasan Pambansa in Quezon City. Media Affairs Officer Sid Luna Samaniego Read more on this news related to 'Choir'
- Pennsylvania boys choir head pleads guilty to child sex assault
A Pennsylvania boys choir director has pleaded guilty to sexual assault of a child and possessing child pornography and faces more than a decade in prison, authorities said on Tuesday. Kenneth Schade, 74, founder of the Singing Boys Choir, originally faced charges of raping a choir boy and 1,101 counts of possessing child pornography. In a deal with prosecutors, S Read more on this news related to 'Choir'