Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Choir'
- a chorus that sings as part of a religious ceremony
- a family of similar musical instrument playing together [syn: consort]
- the area occupied by singers; the part of the chancel between sanctuary and nave v : sing in a choir [syn: chorus]
- Choir \Choir\, n. [OE. quer, OF. cuer, F. ch[oe]ur, fr. L.
chorus a choral dance, chorus, choir, fr. Gr. ?, orig.
dancing place; prob. akin to ? inclosure, L. hortus garden,
and E. yard. See Chorus.]
- A band or organized company of singers, especially in church service. [Formerly written also quire.]
- That part of a church appropriated to the singers.
- (Arch.) The chancel. Choir organ (Mus.), one of the three or five distinct organs included in the full organ, each separable from the rest, but all controlled by one performer; a portion of the full organ, complete in itself, and more practicable for ordinary service and in the accompanying of the vocal choir. Choir screen, Choir wall (Arch.), a screen or low wall separating the choir from the aisles. Choir service, the service of singing performed by the choir. --T. Warton.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Choir'
A choir, chorale, or chorus is a musical ensemble of singers. Choral music, in turn, is the music written specifically for such an ensemble to perform.
A body of singers who perform together as a group is called a choir or chorus. The former term is very often applied to groups affiliated with a church (whether or not they actually occupy the choir) and the second to groups that perform in theatres or concert halls, but this distinction is far from rigid. The term "Choir" has the secondary definition of a subset of an ensemble; thus one speaks of the "woodwind choir" of an orchestra, or different "choirs" of voices and/or instruments in a polychoral composition. In typical 18th to 21st century oratorios and masses, chorus or choir is usually understood to imply more than one singer per part, in contrast to the quartet of soloists also featured in these works.[See more about Choir at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Choir'
Choir Sample Sentences in News
- Choir conductor retires after 30 years
A COMMUNITY choir is seeking to recruit a new musical director. Read more on this news related to 'Choir'
- Choir Director Faces More Sex Abuse Charges
MARSHALLS CREEK — More charges have been filed against the founder of a boys’ choir who already faces charges of... Read more on this news related to 'Choir'
- Okotoks conductor takes university choir to school
Okotoks’ Tim Korthuis conducts the University of Calgary choir. The choir will be performing at the Okotoks United Church on April 4 at 7 p.m. in a free concert. Read more on this news related to 'Choir'