Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Choir'
- a chorus that sings as part of a religious ceremony
- a family of similar musical instrument playing together [syn: consort]
- the area occupied by singers; the part of the chancel between sanctuary and nave v : sing in a choir [syn: chorus]
- Choir \Choir\, n. [OE. quer, OF. cuer, F. ch[oe]ur, fr. L.
chorus a choral dance, chorus, choir, fr. Gr. ?, orig.
dancing place; prob. akin to ? inclosure, L. hortus garden,
and E. yard. See Chorus.]
- A band or organized company of singers, especially in church service. [Formerly written also quire.]
- That part of a church appropriated to the singers.
- (Arch.) The chancel. Choir organ (Mus.), one of the three or five distinct organs included in the full organ, each separable from the rest, but all controlled by one performer; a portion of the full organ, complete in itself, and more practicable for ordinary service and in the accompanying of the vocal choir. Choir screen, Choir wall (Arch.), a screen or low wall separating the choir from the aisles. Choir service, the service of singing performed by the choir. --T. Warton.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Choir'
A choir, chorale, or chorus is a musical ensemble of singers. Choral music, in turn, is the music written specifically for such an ensemble to perform.
A body of singers who perform together as a group is called a choir or chorus. The former term is very often applied to groups affiliated with a church (whether or not they actually occupy the choir) and the second to groups that perform in theatres or concert halls, but this distinction is far from rigid. The term "Choir" has the secondary definition of a subset of an ensemble; thus one speaks of the "woodwind choir" of an orchestra, or different "choirs" of voices and/or instruments in a polychoral composition. In typical 18th to 21st century oratorios and masses, chorus or choir is usually understood to imply more than one singer per part, in contrast to the quartet of soloists also featured in these works.[See more about Choir at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Choir'
Choir Sample Sentences in News
- WORLD FAMOUS OXFORD CHOIR TO PERFORM AT THE QUEEN MARY:
LONG BEACH, CALIF. -- The famed Oxford Christ Church Boys Choir will make a one-time appearance on the Queen Mary, April 1, 2014. The Christ Church Choir, now in its 500th year, is internationally cherished; ... Read more on this news related to 'Choir'
- African Children’s Choir to perform twice in Bangor
Posted Aug. 20, 2008, at 11:06 p.m. Last modified Jan. 29, 2011, at 7:18 a.m. Teach me to dance to the beat of your heart. Read more on this news related to 'Choir'
- Choir raises funds for music festival
IPOH: STUDENTS of SMJK Sam Tet Ipoh's Choir Club presented a concert entitled A Choral Journey recently to raise funds. Read more on this news related to 'Choir'