Children Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Children'?
Children Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A child (plural form is children) is someone who is not an adult yet, or a person who has not reached puberty. A baby that is not yet born is often called a child, too. A person can be called his or her parent's child, no matter how old he or she is. Some synonyms for the word 'child' are kid, toddler, bairn, youngster, boy or girl, lad or lass or youth.
In rich countries, children go to school. Small children may go to nursery school. Playing with small toys and using their imaginations are important for child development. But often in a developing country, children sometimes work in factories or in the fields with their parents or guardians.
When two people get married and one (or both) of them have children with someone else before they got married, that child is called a step child by the child's non-birth parent. If both people had children, the children of each parent are step brothers or step sisters of each other. If a child loses both parents they are an orphan. Being an orphan is not good so orphans usually go to orphanages. If they are lucky they may be adopted by another adult wanting a child. They will then be able to grow up in a new family.
Words and phrases related to 'Children'
'Children' example sentence in quotations
* It was once said that the moral test of Government is how that Government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly and those who are in the shadows of life, the sick, the needy and the handicapped. - Hubert Humphrey
* Grown-ups never understand anything for themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them. - Antoine De Saint-Exupery
Click here for more related quotations on 'Children'
Children Sample Sentences in News
- Mother charged with murder of eight children in Australia
The mother of seven of eight children killed in the northern city of Cairns was charged with their murder on Sunday, Australian police said, as grieving family members paid emotional tributes. The 37-year-old, who has not been named and remains under guard in a hospital, was charged with eight counts of murder after the bodies of the children -- four girls and fou Read more on this news related to 'Children'
- The family with 34 children - and counting
There are 34 children in the Briggs family - 29 of those have been adopted from all over the world and the family is about to get bigger Read more on this news related to 'Children'
- War, cold take toll on Ukraine children
More than 1.7 million children in conflict-torn areas of eastern Ukraine face an "extremely serious" situation, the U.N. children's agency has warned, with their suffering exacerbated by harsh winter weather. Read more on this news related to 'Children'