Children Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Children'?
Children Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A child (plural form is children) is someone who is not an adult yet, or a person who has not reached puberty. A baby that is not yet born is often called a child, too. A person can be called his or her parent's child, no matter how old he or she is. Some synonyms for the word 'child' are kid, toddler, bairn, youngster, boy or girl, lad or lass or youth.
In rich countries, children go to school. Small children may go to nursery school. Playing with small toys and using their imaginations are important for child development. But often in a developing country, children sometimes work in factories or in the fields with their parents or guardians.
When two people get married and one (or both) of them have children with someone else before they got married, that child is called a step child by the child's non-birth parent. If both people had children, the children of each parent are step brothers or step sisters of each other. If a child loses both parents they are an orphan. Being an orphan is not good so orphans usually go to orphanages. If they are lucky they may be adopted by another adult wanting a child. They will then be able to grow up in a new family.
Words and phrases related to 'Children'
'Children' example sentence in quotations
* It was once said that the moral test of Government is how that Government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly and those who are in the shadows of life, the sick, the needy and the handicapped. - Hubert Humphrey
* Grown-ups never understand anything for themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them. - Antoine De Saint-Exupery
Click here for more related quotations on 'Children'
Children Sample Sentences in News
- Children's respiratory illness spreads to West Coast
Enterovirus D68, severe respiratory illness that sent hundreds of children to the hospital in the Midwest, has now spread coast to coast Read more on this news related to 'Children'
- Children's services boss resigns
Rotherham's director of children's services has resigned in the wake of the report which detailed how at least 1,400 children had been subjected to sexual abuse in the town. Read more on this news related to 'Children'
- Syria: 15 children die after getting vaccinations
At least 15 children died after receiving vaccinations in rebel-held parts of Syria, and activists said Wednesday that the death toll from two days of government airstrikes in the central city of Talbiseh climbed to nearly 50, a heavy toll even by the vicious standards of the country's civil war. Read more on this news related to 'Children'