Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Chevy'
v : annoy continually or chronically; "He is known to harry his
staff when he is overworked"; "This man harasses his
female co-workers" [syn: harass, hassle, harry, chivy,
chivvy, chevvy, beset, plague, molest, provoke]
- Chevy \Chev"y\, n. [Written also chivy, and chivvy.] [Prob.
fr. the ballad of Chevy Chase; cf. Prov. E. chevychase a
noise, confusion, pursuit.] [Eng.]
- A cry used in hunting.
- A hunt; chase; pursuit.
- The game of prisoners' base. See Base, n., 24.
- Chevy \Chev"y\, v. t.
See Chivy, v. t. [Slang, Eng.]
One poor fellow was chevied about among the casks in
the storm for ten minutes. --London
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Chevy'
Chevrolet (pronounced /ˌʃɛvrəˈleɪ/), also known as Chevy (pronounced /ˈʃɛvi/), is a brand of vehicle produced by General Motors Company (GM). Founded by Louis Chevrolet and ousted GM founder William C. Durant on November 8, 1911, Chevrolet was acquired by General Motors in 1917. Chevrolet was positioned by Alfred Sloan to sell a lineup of mainstream vehicles to directly compete against Henry Ford's Model T in the 1920s, and continues to hold its position as General Motors' highest-selling brand to the present day, with "Chevrolet" or "Chevy" being at times synonymous with GM. In North America, Chevrolet offers a full range of automobiles, from subcompact cars to medium-duty commercial trucks.
Chevrolet was founded by Louis Chevrolet, a racecar driver and son of Cooper Chevrolet, William Little and Dr. Edwin R Campbell, William Durant's son-in-law. William Durant (founder of General Motors), had been forced from the management of GM in 1910. Durant took over the Flint Wagon Works, incorporating both the Mason and Little companies. Chevrolet Motor Car Co. was incorporated in November 1911. He wanted to use Chevrolet's name as a racer to rebuild his own reputation. As head of Buick Motor Company, prior to founding GM, Durant had hired Chevrolet to drive Buicks in promotional races. Actual design work for the first Chevy, the costly Series C Classic Six was drawn up by Etienne Planche, following the instructions of his old friend Louis. The first C prototype was ready months before Chevrolet was actually incorporated.[See more about Chevy at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Chevy'
Meaning of the Name 'Chevy'
- Meaning: Horseman: knight. An abbreviation of Chevalier. Actor-comedian Chevy Chase.
- Origin: French
- Gender: Male
Chevy Sample Sentences in News
- GM to drop Chevy brand in Europe to focus on Opel
* GM to shut Chevy in Europe in response to downturn * Attempted Chevy revamp put it in competition with Opel * Chevy wind-down in Europe to hurt auto production in Korea FRANKFURT/DETROIT, Dec 5 (Reuters) - In a strategic about-face, General Motors will drop the Chevrolet brand in Europe by the end of 2015 after it failed to build significant market share, and th Read more on this news related to 'Chevy'
- Chevy's 2014 full-size SUV fulfills wide spectrum of Wis. driver needs
EAU CLAIRE, Wis., Dec. 2, 2013 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- Chevy vehicles have built a reputation for being some of the most hard-working and dependable vehicles on the road. Chevy's full-size SUV, the 2014 Tahoe, is just one of those vehicles whose characteristics can be enjoyed by people from all walks of life. The 2014 Chevy Tahoe excels in many different things Read more on this news related to 'Chevy'
- Even With Man-U, Global Chevy Won't Miss Europe, CMO Says
Chevrolet global CMO Tim Mahoney insisted that essentially dropping out of Europe by 2015 won't dent Chevy's plans to become a dominant and truly global brand. Read more on this news related to 'Chevy'