Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Charming'
- pleasing or delighting; "endowed with charming manners"; "a charming little cottage"; "a charming personality"
- possessing or using or characteristic of or appropriate to supernatural powers; "charming incantations"; "magic signs that protect against adverse influence"; "a magical spell"; "'tis now the very witching time of night"- Shakespeare; "wizard wands"; "wizardly powers" [syn: magic, magical, sorcerous, witching(a), wizard(a), wizardly]
- Charm \Charm\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Charmed; p. pr. & vb. n.
Charming.] [Cf. F. charmer. See Charm, n.]
- To make music upon; to tune. [Obs. & R.] Here we our slender pipes may safely charm. --Spenser.
- To subdue, control, or summon by incantation or supernatural influence; to affect by magic. No witchcraft charm thee! --Shak.
- To subdue or overcome by some secret power, or by that which gives pleasure; to allay; to soothe. Music the fiercest grief can charm. --Pope.
- To attract irresistibly; to delight exceedingly; to enchant; to fascinate. They, on their mirth and dance Intent, with jocund music charm his ear. --Milton.
- To protect with, or make invulnerable by, spells, charms, or supernatural influences; as, a charmed life. I, in my own woe charmed, Could not find death. --Shak. Syn: Syn. - To fascinate; enchant; enrapture; captivate; bewitch; allure; subdue; delight; entice; transport.
- Charming \Charm"ing\, a.
Pleasing the mind or senses in a high degree; delighting;
How charming is divine philosophy. --Milton.
Syn: Syn. - Enchanting; bewitching; captivating; enrapturing;
alluring; fascinating; delightful; pleasurable;
graceful; lovely; amiable; pleasing; winning. --
Charm"ing*ly, adv. -- Charm"ing*ness, n.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Charming'
Charming is a fictional town in the television series Sons of Anarchy. It is located in the San Joaquin Valley of California. According to a sign on the edge of town, its population is 14,679 and its motto is "Our Name Says It All".
Charming is 22.8 square miles (59 km2) and is located in the upper part of the metro triangle, which is bounded by the Bay Area, Stockton and Sacramento. Show writer Kurt Sutter has stated that he envisions the town as being located between Lodi and Stockton which would place it near the real-life town of Morada, California, except that Morada is not even a real town, just a community of a few thousand people. At other times in the show, it is said to be 50 miles (80 km) from both Oakland and San Jose, and about 30 miles (50 km) from both Stockton and Lodi. In Season 1, the show's official website gave GPS coordinates for Charming that placed it in the middle of an agricultural field along California SR-12 about 3.75 miles (6.0 km) west of Interstate 5, just under 1 mile north of the road. These coordinates put Charming between Lodi and Rio Vista, California. The website no longer includes this data. The town's average high temperature in January is 54F (12.22C) and the average low is 38F (3.33C). In July the average high temperature is 94F (34.44C) and the average low is 61F (16.11C).[See more about Charming at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Charming'
'Charming' in famous quotation sentence
* It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious. - Oscar Wilde
* It seems to me the book has not just aesthetic values-- the charming little clothy box of the thing, the smell of the glue, even the print, which has its own beauty. But there's something about the sensation of ink on paper that is in some sense a thing, a phenomenon rather than an epiphenomenon. I can't break the association of electric trash with the computer screen. Words on the screen give the sense of being just another passing electronic wriggle. - John Updike
Click here for more related quotations on 'Charming'
Charming Sample Sentences in News
- Charming Southern Belle seeks Northern Forever-Family
Once a starving stray dog, Betty Sue is finally on the right path now that she has PAWS to navigate through the system. 3-year-old, coon hound, Betty Sue, needs the stability of a dependable, loving home. Adoption details, and a happy new beginning for Geneva follow article. Read more on this news related to 'Charming'
- Business Briefs: Charming Charlie opens in Green Oak
Charming Charlie, a retail chain known for its colorful accessories for women, recently opened its new store in the Green Oak Village Place shopping center in Green Oak Township. Read more on this news related to 'Charming'
- Coast and Country
It's not every day that a charming mud brick home comes on to the market, but here it is on offer in the village of Kalaru. Read more on this news related to 'Charming'