Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Chaos'
- a state of extreme confusion and disorder [syn: pandemonium, bedlam, topsy-turvydom, topsy-turvyness]
- the formless and disordered state of matter before the creation of the cosmos
- (Greek mythology) the most ancient of gods; the personification of the infinity of space preceding creation of the universe
- (physics) a dynamical system that is extremely sensitive to its initial conditions
- Chaos \Cha"os\ (k[=a]"[o^]s), n. [L. chaos chaos (in senses 1 &
2), Gr. cha`os, fr. cha`inein (root cha) to yawn, to gape, to
open widely. Cf. Chasm.]
- An empty, immeasurable space; a yawning chasm. [Archaic] Between us and there is fixed a great chaos. --Luke xvi. 26 (Rhemish Trans.).
- The confused, unorganized condition or mass of matter before the creation of distinct and orderly forms.
- Any confused or disordered collection or state of things; a confused mixture; confusion; disorder.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Chaos'
Chaos (Greek: χάος ; in English pronounced /ˈkeɪ.ɒs/ (the antithetical, or possibly complementary, concept was cosmos).
Later uses of the term by philosophers varied over time. In modern English, the word is used in classical studies with the original meaning; in mathematics and science to refer to a very specific kind of unpredictability; and informally to mean a state of confusion. In philosophy, and in popular culture, the word can occur with all three meanings.
In Greek mythical cosmogony, particularly in the Theogony (Origin of the Gods) of Hesiod (8th–7th century BC), Chaos is the original dark void from which everything else appeared. First came Gaia (Earth) and Eros (Love), then Erebus and his sister Nyx (Night). These siblings produced children together which included Aether, Hemera (Day), and Nemesis. Other cosmogonies, such as the lost Heptamychos of Pherecydes of Syros, also have the gods being born from Chaos, but in a different way.[See more about Chaos at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Chaos'
'Chaos' in famous quotation sentence
* Excellent wretch Perdition catch my soul, But I do love thee and when I love thee not, Chaos is come again. - William Shakespeare
* A schedule defends from chaos and whim. - Annie Dillard
Click here for more related quotations on 'Chaos'
Chaos Sample Sentences in News
- After this budget chaos is Uncle Sam ready for assisted suicide? | Simon Jenkins
The federal shutdown looks disastrous, but the constitution's strength allows the US to stare into the abyss – and step back I am of the pro-American generation. To us America was the future. Europe was nowhere. We read, saw, heard, visited America. We studied and worked there. Some of us even married Americans. We were affiliates of the tribe. We bought int Read more on this news related to 'Chaos'
- 'Chaos Reborn' Interview - X-Com Creator Julian Gollop's Turn-Based Strategy Revival
Julian Gollop's X-Com spawned a franchise, and remains the gold standard for tense, turn-based strategy games. Now, he is reviving another game from his past - the fast-paced wizard war of Chaos - with 'Chaos Reborn', an ambitious reimagining seeking funding on Kickstarter. Read more on this news related to 'Chaos'
- Teaser: chaos reigns in final season of 'True Blood'
Two months before kicking off the seventh and final season of its famous vampire show, HBO has released the first footage from the coming episodes in a teaser that shows the town of Bon Temps in a state of total chaos. Abandoned by the US government, Sookie and her friends are contending with very difficult circumstances, as the town is under attack by vampire zom Read more on this news related to 'Chaos'