Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Centennial'
adj : of or relating to or completing a period of 100 years;
"centennial celebration" [syn: centenary]
n : the 100th anniversary (or the celebration of it) [syn: centenary]
- Centennial \Cen*ten"ni*al\, a. [L. centum a hundred + annus
- Relating to, or associated with, the commemoration of an event that happened a hundred years before; as, a centennial ode.
- Happening once in a hundred years; as, centennial jubilee; a centennial celebration.
- Lasting or aged a hundred years. That opened through long lines Of sacred ilex and centennial pines. --Longfellow.
- Centennial \Cen*ten"ni*al\, n.
The celebration of the hundredth anniversary of any event; a
centenary. [U. S.]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Centennial'
A century (from the Latin centum, meaning one hundred) is one hundred consecutive years. It is also a Roman term. Centuries are numbered ordinally in English and many other languages (e.g. "the 7th century AD/CE").
According to the Gregorian calendar, the 1st century AD/CE started on January 1, 1 and ended on December 31, 100. The 2nd century started at year 101, the 3rd at 201, etc. The n-th century started/will start on the year (100×n)-99 and ends in 100×n . A century will only include one year, the centennial year, that starts with the century's number (e.g. 1900 is the final year in the 19th century).
There is no "zeroth century" in between the 1st century BC and the 1st century AD . Also, there is no 0 AD. The Julian calendar "jumps" from 1 BC to 1 AD. The 1st century BC includes the years 100 BC to 1 BC. Other centuries BC follow the same pattern.[See more about Centennial at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Centennial'
Centennial Sample Sentences in News
- UTEP: Centennial Plaza construction on schedule as students struggle with the inconvenience
University of Texas at El Paso students continue to face construction projects, especially at Centennial Plaza, which has shut down most of the center of the campus. ›› Photos: UTEP Centennial Plaza construction Posted Jul 26, 2014 Read more on this news related to 'Centennial'
- More than 1 million INC members mark centennial
More than a million members of the Iglesia ni Cristo (INC) from here and abroad braved a mix of sun and rains to mark the centennial of the founding in the Philippines of the church by Bro. The day-long activity, in Bocaue town north of Manila, was highlighted by INC officials recapping the church history which showed, according to them, how God helped Manalo buil Read more on this news related to 'Centennial'
- Iglesia ni Cristo centennial celebration ‘generally peaceful’ – MMDA, police
The Iglesia ni Cristo’s (INC) two-day centennial celebration in Bulacan was “generally orderly” despite the heavy traffic it caused in parts of the North Luzon Expressway, Metro Manila Development Authority chairman Francis Tolentino said Sunday. Read more on this news related to 'Centennial'