Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Centennial'
adj : of or relating to or completing a period of 100 years;
"centennial celebration" [syn: centenary]
n : the 100th anniversary (or the celebration of it) [syn: centenary]
- Centennial \Cen*ten"ni*al\, a. [L. centum a hundred + annus
- Relating to, or associated with, the commemoration of an event that happened a hundred years before; as, a centennial ode.
- Happening once in a hundred years; as, centennial jubilee; a centennial celebration.
- Lasting or aged a hundred years. That opened through long lines Of sacred ilex and centennial pines. --Longfellow.
- Centennial \Cen*ten"ni*al\, n.
The celebration of the hundredth anniversary of any event; a
centenary. [U. S.]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Centennial'
A century (from the Latin centum, meaning one hundred) is one hundred consecutive years. It is also a Roman term. Centuries are numbered ordinally in English and many other languages (e.g. "the 7th century AD/CE").
According to the Gregorian calendar, the 1st century AD/CE started on January 1, 1 and ended on December 31, 100. The 2nd century started at year 101, the 3rd at 201, etc. The n-th century started/will start on the year (100×n)-99 and ends in 100×n . A century will only include one year, the centennial year, that starts with the century's number (e.g. 1900 is the final year in the 19th century).
There is no "zeroth century" in between the 1st century BC and the 1st century AD . Also, there is no 0 AD. The Julian calendar "jumps" from 1 BC to 1 AD. The 1st century BC includes the years 100 BC to 1 BC. Other centuries BC follow the same pattern.[See more about Centennial at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Centennial'
Centennial Sample Sentences in News
- Centennial College President Ann Buller renews contract for a third term
TORONTO, April 17, 2014 /CNW/ - Centennial College President Ann Buller has agreed to a third five-year term as chief executive officer, which will make her the longest-serving president in Centennial's history upon completion. Notably, Buller was the youngest woman to lead a large college at the time of her appointment in 2004, and she is one of the very few Read more on this news related to 'Centennial'
- Florida Bank Merging with Parent Company of AR Centennial Bank
Home BancShares, Inc., parent company of Centennial Bank, and Florida Traditions Bank, announced Thursday that they have entered into a non-binding letter of intent for the Company to acquire all of the outstanding shares of Traditions, which will be merged into Centennial. Read more on this news related to 'Centennial'
- Centennial Woods, LLC Opens Office in Singapore to Serve the Asia Pacific Market
Centennial Woods, LLC proudly announces the opening of our first international branch office, located in Singapore to serve the Asia Pacific market. David Chong has been appointed, as agent and to operate this office representing Centennial Woods. Read more on this news related to 'Centennial'