Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Centennial'
adj : of or relating to or completing a period of 100 years;
"centennial celebration" [syn: centenary]
n : the 100th anniversary (or the celebration of it) [syn: centenary]
- Centennial \Cen*ten"ni*al\, a. [L. centum a hundred + annus
- Relating to, or associated with, the commemoration of an event that happened a hundred years before; as, a centennial ode.
- Happening once in a hundred years; as, centennial jubilee; a centennial celebration.
- Lasting or aged a hundred years. That opened through long lines Of sacred ilex and centennial pines. --Longfellow.
- Centennial \Cen*ten"ni*al\, n.
The celebration of the hundredth anniversary of any event; a
centenary. [U. S.]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Centennial'
A century (from the Latin centum, meaning one hundred) is one hundred consecutive years. It is also a Roman term. Centuries are numbered ordinally in English and many other languages (e.g. "the 7th century AD/CE").
According to the Gregorian calendar, the 1st century AD/CE started on January 1, 1 and ended on December 31, 100. The 2nd century started at year 101, the 3rd at 201, etc. The n-th century started/will start on the year (100×n)-99 and ends in 100×n . A century will only include one year, the centennial year, that starts with the century's number (e.g. 1900 is the final year in the 19th century).
There is no "zeroth century" in between the 1st century BC and the 1st century AD . Also, there is no 0 AD. The Julian calendar "jumps" from 1 BC to 1 AD. The 1st century BC includes the years 100 BC to 1 BC. Other centuries BC follow the same pattern.[See more about Centennial at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Centennial'