Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Censor'
n : a person who is authorized to read publications or
correspondence or to watch theatrical performances and
suppress in whole or in part anything considered obscene
or politically unacceptable
- forbid the public distribution of ( a movie or a newspaper) [syn: ban]
- subject to political, religious, or moral censorship; "This magazine is censored by the government"
- Censor \Cen"sor\, n. [L. censor, fr. censere to value, tax.]
- (Antiq.) One of two magistrates of Rome who took a register of the number and property of citizens, and who also exercised the office of inspector of morals and conduct.
- One who is empowered to examine manuscripts before they are committed to the press, and to forbid their publication if they contain anything obnoxious; -- an official in some European countries.
- One given to fault-finding; a censurer. Nor can the most circumspect attention, or steady rectitude, escape blame from censors who have no inclination to approve. --Rambler.
- A critic; a reviewer. Received with caution by the censors of the press. --W. Irving.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Censor'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Censor'
Censorship is when certain facts changed or left out on purpose. It is the suppression of speech or deletion of communicative material which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or inconvenient to the government or media organizations as determined by a censor. This can be done for different reasons. Most often things are censored for one or more of the following reasons:
A censor is a person whose job is to look at all types of media and remove material. There are many reasons to censor something, like protecting military secrets, stopping immoral or anti-religious works, or keeping political power. Censorship is almost always used as an insult, and there is much debate over what censorship is and when it is okay.
When there is freedom of speech and freedom of the press, most information can published. However, even in developed countries with much freedom of the press, there are some things that cannot be published. For example, journalists are usually not allowed to publish many secrets about the military, like where troops will be sent on a mission. Pornography is censored in some countries because it is seen as not moral. For these reasons, the government might arrest anyone who publishes it.[See more about Censor at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Censor'
'Censor' in famous quotation sentence
* Once you permit those who are convinced of their own superior rightness to censor and silence and suppress those who hold contrary opinions, just at that moment the citadel has been surrendered. For the American citadel is a man. Not man in general. Not man in the abstract. Not the majority of men. But man. That man. His worth. His uniqueness. - Archibald MacLeish
* Books won't stay banned. They won't burn. Ideas won't go to jail. In the long run of history, the censor and the inquisitor have always lost. The only sure weapon against bad ideas is better ideas. The source of better ideas is wisdom. The surest path to wisdom is a liberal education. - Alfred Whitney
Click here for more related quotations on 'Censor'
Censor Sample Sentences in News
- The Soul of the Censor
Robert Darnton Reading is an essential aspect of censoring, not only in the act of vetting texts, which often lead to competing exegeses, but also as an aspect of the inner workings of the state. Not only did censors perceive nuances of hidden meaning, but they also understood the way published texts reverberated in the public. Despite its ideological function, th Read more on this news related to 'Censor'
- Bollywood not helping us in Censor Board corruption matter: CBI
After a successful operation exposing alleged corruption at top level in Censor Board , CBI is finding it difficult to make much headway as the people from the film industry are not coming forward to help the agency. Read more on this news related to 'Censor'
- Bollywood not helping CBI in Censor Board corruption matter
New Delhi : After a successful operation exposing alleged corruption at top level in Censor Board, CBI is finding it difficult to make much headway as the people from the film industry are not coming forward to help the agency. CBI sources said it took nearly three months of surveillance on sacked CEO of Censor Board Rakesh Kumar to expose his alleged wrong Read more on this news related to 'Censor'