Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Censor'
n : a person who is authorized to read publications or
correspondence or to watch theatrical performances and
suppress in whole or in part anything considered obscene
or politically unacceptable
- forbid the public distribution of ( a movie or a newspaper) [syn: ban]
- subject to political, religious, or moral censorship; "This magazine is censored by the government"
- Censor \Cen"sor\, n. [L. censor, fr. censere to value, tax.]
- (Antiq.) One of two magistrates of Rome who took a register of the number and property of citizens, and who also exercised the office of inspector of morals and conduct.
- One who is empowered to examine manuscripts before they are committed to the press, and to forbid their publication if they contain anything obnoxious; -- an official in some European countries.
- One given to fault-finding; a censurer. Nor can the most circumspect attention, or steady rectitude, escape blame from censors who have no inclination to approve. --Rambler.
- A critic; a reviewer. Received with caution by the censors of the press. --W. Irving.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Censor'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Censor'
Censorship is when certain facts changed or left out on purpose. It is the suppression of speech or deletion of communicative material which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or inconvenient to the government or media organizations as determined by a censor. This can be done for different reasons. Most often things are censored for one or more of the following reasons:
A censor is a person whose job is to look at all types of media and remove material. There are many reasons to censor something, like protecting military secrets, stopping immoral or anti-religious works, or keeping political power. Censorship is almost always used as an insult, and there is much debate over what censorship is and when it is okay.
When there is freedom of speech and freedom of the press, most information can published. However, even in developed countries with much freedom of the press, there are some things that cannot be published. For example, journalists are usually not allowed to publish many secrets about the military, like where troops will be sent on a mission. Pornography is censored in some countries because it is seen as not moral. For these reasons, the government might arrest anyone who publishes it.[See more about Censor at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Censor'
'Censor' in famous quotation sentence
* Once you permit those who are convinced of their own superior rightness to censor and silence and suppress those who hold contrary opinions, just at that moment the citadel has been surrendered. For the American citadel is a man. Not man in general. Not man in the abstract. Not the majority of men. But man. That man. His worth. His uniqueness. - Archibald MacLeish
* Books won't stay banned. They won't burn. Ideas won't go to jail. In the long run of history, the censor and the inquisitor have always lost. The only sure weapon against bad ideas is better ideas. The source of better ideas is wisdom. The surest path to wisdom is a liberal education. - Alfred Whitney
Click here for more related quotations on 'Censor'
Censor Sample Sentences in News
- Censor Board can give nightmares says noted filmmaker Nagesh Kukunoor
After a lot of Censor Board hurdles, Nagesh Kukunoor’s Lakshmi is finally in the clear. The movie was initially slated for a January 17 release but was delayed as the Board found a lot of scenes objectionable.Speaking about it, Nagesh says, “I feel that there have to be guidelines put in place Read more on this news related to 'Censor'
- Turkish PM threatens to censor the Internet, shut down Facebook, YouTube
ANKARA, Turkey — Turkey's prime minister has threatened drastic steps to censor the Internet, including shutting down Facebook and YouTube, where audio recordings of his alleged conversations suggesting corruption have been leaked in the past weeks, dealing him a major blow ahead of this month's local elections. In a late-night ... Read more on this news related to 'Censor'
- 'Rahasya' not about Aarushi: Censor board tells HC
The Talwars had moved the high court seeking a stay on the movie, alleging it is based on their daughter’s murder Read more on this news related to 'Censor'