Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Cement'
- concrete pavement is sometimes referred to as cement; "they stood on the gray cement beside the pool"
- a building material that is a powder made of a mixture of calcined limestone and clay; used with water and sand or gravel to make concrete and mortar
- something that hardens to act as adhesive material
- any of various materials used by dentists to fill cavities in teeth
- a specialized bony substance covering the root of a tooth [syn: cementum] v
- make fast as if with cement; "We cemented our friendship"
- cover or coat with cement
- bind or join with or as if with cement
- Cement \Ce*ment"\ (s[e^]*m[e^]nt" or s[e^]m"[e^]nt), n. [OF.
cement, ciment, F. ciment, fr. L. caementum a rough, unhewn
stone, pieces or chips of marble, from which mortar was made,
contr. fr. caedimentum, fr. caedere to cut, prob. akin to
scindere to cleave, and to E. shed, v. t.]
- Any substance used for making bodies adhere to each other, as mortar, glue, etc.
- A kind of calcined limestone, or a calcined mixture of clay and lime, for making mortar which will harden under water.
- The powder used in cementation. See Cementation, n., 2.
- Bond of union; that which unites firmly, as persons in friendship, or men in society. ``The cement of our love.''
- (Anat.) The layer of bone investing the root and neck of a tooth; -- called also cementum. Hydraulic cement. See under Hydraulic.
- Cement \Ce*ment"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Cemented; p. pr. & vb.
n. Cementing.] [Cf. F. cimenter. See Cement, n.]
- To unite or cause to adhere by means of a cement. --Bp. Burnet.
- To unite firmly or closely. --Shak.
- To overlay or coat with cement; as, to cement a cellar bottom.
- Cement \Ce*ment"\, v. i.
To become cemented or firmly united; to cohere. --S. Sharp.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Cement'
In the most general sense of the word, a cement is a binder, a substance that sets and hardens independently, and can bind other materials together. The word "cement" traces to the Romans, who used the term opus caementicium to describe masonry resembling modern concrete that was made from crushed rock with burnt lime as binder. The volcanic ash and pulverized brick additives that were added to the burnt lime to obtain a hydraulic binder were later referred to as cementum, cimentum, cäment and cement.
Cement used in construction is characterized as hydraulic or non-hydraulic. Hydraulic cements (e.g., Portland cement) harden because of hydration, chemical reactions that occur independently of the mixture's water content; they can harden even underwater or when constantly exposed to wet weather. The chemical reaction that results when the anhydrous cement powder is mixed with water produces hydrates that are not water-soluble. Non-hydraulic cements (e.g., lime and gypsum plaster) must be kept dry in order to retain their strength.[See more about Cement at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Cement'
'Cement' in famous quotation sentence
* To cement a new friendship, especially between foreigners or persons of a different social world, a spark with which both were secretly charged must fly from person to person, and cut across the accidents of place and time. - Nigerian Proverb
* To cement a new friendship, especially between foreigners or persons of a different social world, a spark with which both were secretly charged must fly from person to person, and cut across the accidents of place and time. - Cornelia Otis Skinner
Click here for more related quotations on 'Cement'
Cement Sample Sentences in News
- European share gains limited by cement makers as FX hits results
* Cement makers lead declines as forex hits results LONDON, July 30 (Reuters) - Cement makers lead declines on European equity indexes on Wednesday as Switzerland's Holcim and Germany's HeidelbergCement reported disappointing results, blaming weak emerging-market currencies. Their sector was the worst performer in Europe. French electrical-gear maker Schne Read more on this news related to 'Cement'
- European shares held back by cement makers as FX hits results
Portugal's PSI down 2.1 pct * Cement makers lead declines as forex hits results LONDON, July 30 (Reuters) - Cement makers lagged European equity indexes on Wednesday, after Switzerland's Holcim and Germany's HeidelbergCement reported disappointing results that they blamed on weak emerging-market currencies. The sector was the worst performer in Europe. Read more on this news related to 'Cement'
- Cement company hopes for 35 new jobs
A Flintshire cement factory which was under threat of closure two years ago submits plans for expansion. Read more on this news related to 'Cement'